Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 11:22PM

https://www.abc4.com/news/religion/payson-temple-worker-removed-from-position-over-natural-hair/?fbclid=IwAR1g6cJfHyFsuJebzGRNBFtZuLXaZIH39_ReO1LspFR8JEZDE7XHRjDpus0

Payson temple worker removed from position over natural hair

PAYSON (ABC4 News) – A temple worker for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is speaking out after being removed from his position because of his hair. The situation was quickly righted, but Tekulve Jackson-Vann says this is a great opportunity to talk about how the faith can better incorporate members of many cultures.

Tekulve Jackson-Vann has been a temple worker at the Payson temple for almost two years. He knew that his decision to grow his hair into locs could be a problem, and he was right.

On Friday, he notified his temple supervisor of his hair change and was told, “Your hair doesn’t fit the guidelines. We’re asked to have our hair in a conservative style so it’s not a distraction to the patrons. My first thought immediately was this is a moment, this is a moment where I can help educate my brethren in the gospel that there are standards which are not rooted in doctrine and that can be challenged.”

Within 24 hours, the Payson Temple President was contacted by the Church Temple Department and the guidelines were clarified, allowing Jackson-Vann to resume his post.

Only worthy members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can enter their holy temples; once inside there is a dress and grooming standard, but in this case it was incorrectly applied.

Jackson-Vann says that the Church is moving in the right direction when it comes to cultural diversity, but more can be done. He said, “Throughout different cultures, things like hair or language, even manner of dress, is a way that we hold onto our culture, and so we need to be careful about saying well, here’s the gospel standard, or here’s the uniform of the Priesthood.”

Jackson-Vann made it clear that he didn’t feel this incident was a sign of racism, but of a lack of understanding.

“Being black in Utah we often feel like, OK here I go again, I need to translate my culture for other people. It’s tiresome to have to be a cultural ambassador 24/7, but I think as we’re able to open up conversation with our non-black brothers and sisters, and as they’re open as well, progress can happen. In this case, I realized there was yet another Church policy that didn’t take into consideration who I am and where I am and we needed to open up a conversation about how do we change that.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 11:46PM

Now if they can just let worthy men and women grow their hair out Gay!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 12:10AM

Or female!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 03:08AM

A dredlock can be a MORmON, as you put it, but a MORmON can't be a dreadlock.

You see blackness.
Racism. Intolerance.
He sees Freedom. Togetherness.
Happiness. Mormonism. Tolerance.
Adaptability. Acceptance. Progress.

I see togetherness.
LDS can wait outside.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 05:37AM

This isn't racism. It's not as white people can't grow dreadlocks or long hair, or that black people have to have long hair.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 10:35AM

>>This isn't racism.

Says Jordan, who has exactly zero experience caring for the unique needs of black hair.

Date: July 02, 2019 04:31PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>This isn't racism.
>
> Says Jordan, who has exactly zero experience
> caring for the unique needs of black hair.

He was growing long(ish) hair. If a white guy had done the same, then they would also be disciplined.

I'm well aware black people's hair is different from other groups, but this is a rule which applies across the board.

I don't see what harm the guy was doing by having this hairstyle, but any white equivalent would be frowned upon.

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 10:55AM

Jordan makes a good point that you didn't address, summer. If a white temple worker would receive the same disciplinary action for growing their hair long, then this is simply not racism.

Fuddy-duddyism, maybe.

We can't attribute to racism every undesirable thing that happens to a minority.

Date: July 03, 2019 02:00PM

"Fuddy duddyism"

That's it in a nutshell.

I used to get told off about the way I dressed in church, even though I considered myself smartly dressed.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 02:21PM

honklermaga Wrote:
> If a white temple worker would receive the
> same disciplinary action for growing their hair
> long, then this is simply not racism.

I believe they would have in Payson, Utah. Definitely. No Jesus imitators wanted for their work.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 05:51PM

I disagree. I've seen Caucasian parents struggle to properly care for their black or biracial child's hair. Different hair, different needs. I would never dream of telling a parent that braids are somehow inappropriate. Braids are a valid strategy for presenting a groomed appearance for black hair.

I also looked at U.S. Army standards for black hair before I commented. The army went through quite an extended struggle (at the behest of black Congressional caucus members) to make standards fairer for black and biracial soldiers. Current standards allow for braids.

Hair grooming standards for the Mormon church were developed based on Caucasian hair. So IMO, yes, the church has a history of being biased. At least in this particular case, they corrected the initial ruling. Jackson-Vann was remarkably good humored about the whole thing. I'm sure living in Utah, he's used to all sorts of nonsense.

Date: July 03, 2019 05:54PM

I would be surprised if church headquarters adopts what this temple president has decided to do. We'll see, but there will be resistance. Not everyone is as pragmatic as this man.

Date: July 04, 2019 06:54AM

The military has an extremely simple solution to the hair issue. Keep it brutally short. It's not a hairstyle I particularly like, but it works for all typea of hair across the board.

Date: July 04, 2019 01:45PM

Yes!

Except no. The US army solved the problem by letting people grow braids.

Congratulations on a good guess, though.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 03:48PM

Jordan Wrote:
> This isn't racism. It's not as white people can't
> grow dreadlocks or long hair, or that black people
> have to have long hair.

Since there is no such thing as race, how could there be any such thing as racism, right?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 10:07AM

They’re lucky to have a temple president with some common sense.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 11:21AM

Please eliminate the dreadlocks and bring back those large afros.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 02:40PM

LOL!

I lived in Payson for a couple of years. I can only imagine what this guy has dealt with there.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 05:38AM

What a good example of blatant racism this temple President has shown. Am I surprised? Nope.

Posted by: Chicken N.Backpacks ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 10:40AM

If a guy grew his hear and wore a moustache-less beard to look exactly like B Young he would violating their "conservative" rules, so WTF conservative time are they talking about?

About 1955 corporate America...

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 10:51AM

Chicken N.Backpacks Wrote:
> If a guy grew his hear and wore a moustache-less
> beard to look exactly like B Young he would
> violating their "conservative" rules, so WTF
> conservative time are they talking about?
>
> About 1955 corporate America...
If Jesus returned and tried getting into a temple w/o a reccomend, wearing a white poncho, sandals and smelling like petchoulli oil he'd get tackled, tazed and arrested on trespassing charges.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 11:16PM

Sounds like some Utah-County temple president applied a typical
Utah-County understanding of "conservative grooming." Then Salt
Lake City (which has to worry about PR that happens outside of
Utah County) finds out and says, "holy shucks, we gotta back-
track on this before it hits the papers!"

But it hit the papers anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.