Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 12:35AM

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/lisbon-portugal-temple/photographs/#Official-2

At first glance, I thought it was a freeway, which is normal. Then I thought the placement was weird, then I realized those look like train tracks. I confirmed with another pic.

They are actually building a mormon temple right next to what appear to be train tracks.

That's not high end.

They're plopping those things anywhere.

Edit to add it might just be like a light rail. That's a very different sound and rumble that freight trains make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 12:36AM by Levi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 01:04AM

The Rome temple is also close to train tracks.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 03:01AM

They still have some catching up to do.

But at the pace they're going, you'll soon never be more than 10 minutes away from an LDS temple (at least in any major urban area).

Suddenly, your garments will be climbing up your butt in that special way that they do, telling you that you really need to get another dose of handshakes, aprons and floppy-hats at the temple. But now that the Mormon temples are everywhere, you know you'll be able to satisfy that craving immediately.

You'll be crossing paths with people going to get their fixes at Starbucks, while you're on your way to get your temple fix.

You'll give each other knowing glances.

"You going to get yours?"

"Yep. How about you?"

"Oh yeah! You know how I get when I've gone too long without doing some secret-sacred handshakes! And I don't think I can go another hour without strapping a green apron on."

"Yep. That's the way I am about my triple-shot lattes."

"Have a good time!"

"You too!"

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 04:45AM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 04:05AM

I'm going to tease the board renowned train buff Dave by stating that it's a new plan to get's him to return to the church. He can take all the train photos he wants from the church's overlook after he does a session at the temple.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 06:28AM

And the Salt Lake temple is built next to train tracks. I'm not seeing the problem.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 11:35AM

swearing

I think the point that Levi is making (and it's a great one) is that usually the church tries to place its "beacon to the world" in a glorious neighborhood where the temple will likely increase in real estate value. It's one thing to build a temple and later mass transit routes are developed and come to the previously established temple. In this case, it looks as if the only spot to build the mormon monstrosity is a sliver of property in a light industrialized zone.

Personally, I think mormon temples ought to be built next to dumps, landfills and sewage treatment plants because they all smell of shit.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 01:44PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...usually the church tries to
> place its "beacon to the world" in a glorious
> neighborhood...

Yeah, but when they go into centuries-old cities, all the showy real estate large enough for a temple is already taken, so they have to settle for what they can get.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 01:00PM

I can hear the FAT meetings now after attending the temple the day before, "We were in the endowment session, the spirit was so strong, we could hear the thundering of the Lord's spirit..it was audible, and a witness to me that the Lord appreciates the work that we do for the those on the other side, I could see in vision those faces smiling at us, and the Lord confirmed it by the sound of thunder."

You think I am kidding?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 01:03PM

LOL. I thought the same thing. "I could FEEL the spirit!"

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 02:01PM

They could buy my house and put one here. I live above a rail line, I can feel the train spirit multiple times each day.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 01:26PM

In the image, it does appears the tracks are in kind of a cut-out valley - maybe 20-30 feet. Likely specifically to cut down on noise and sight of passing trains. If that is the case, you likely won't even be able to see it as you walk in to the temple for your handshake fix.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 09:55PM

That's all right. The Rome temple practically shares a parking lot with an IKEA. I see that as a plus.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 10, 2019 12:06PM

in b 4 ~ Dave the Atheist ~

wait ~

never mind ~

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: August 10, 2019 03:28PM

I'm not sure about Portugal, but in many parts of Europe they have a different mindset than those in the US. They are more environmentally conscious about the world and try to do things that don't use as much pollution. They also are more minded about cohesive and useable transportation systems.

To further these, they use trains a LOT more than the United States. It makes it easier to exist without a car there (for both those who live there and tourist like I would be). Some major cities in the United States also have rather decent transportation systems (buses, trains, etc) where one can get around via mass transit rather than individual cars.

It may be that this is part of the mass transit system, in which case it probably doesn't make as much noise as you would expect a freight train to make, and is actually far more efficient at getting people to where they want to go than we see in the US with our cars and highway system.

(I still love my vehicles, but I am also American).

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 10, 2019 03:43PM

You can Always tell if a train's been there, it left its tracks...

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 10, 2019 11:05PM

Temples are garish, oversized, monstrosities, designed to stand out as an obvious advertisement for the Mormon cult. That's why they are built on high ground, with out-of-proportion steeples and bright lights and reflection pools and huge parking lots.

Most of the temples I've been to have been very visible from busy freeways. Railroad tracks, likewise, in countries outside the US, put people within viewing distance of a temple that screams, "Here is the Mormon Cult!"

It's more effective than any billboard.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 01:28AM

There are no RR tracks near the "Seattle" Temple, which is actually in Bellevue, Washington.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 01:47AM

The closest tracks were near the I-90/I-405 interchange Which is a former Northern Pacific line along the east side of Lake Washington.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 05:59PM

Contractors get their share of tithing money whenever a temple is built.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 06:55AM

But did they get their own train stop and platform? Or does it just go right by?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.