Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 07:09PM

The Mormon church covered up his history of inappropriate behavior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7vYNsMowXI

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 05:00AM

Mormons don’t believe in mental disorders. If a guy is acting out this way, he’s probably just not praying enough. This is what a lay clergy gets you.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 05:38AM

Since most the church is volunteers it runs hit and miss. Even 30% of the church office building staff is unpaid missionaries. They put whoever is available into callings and when there are problems that paint the church in a negative way they hide or deny the problem. The image of the church comes above any member. The church will throw you under the bus to save it’s image.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 09:06PM

Sad. Just sad.

When I was a teenager, a P.T. looked into the widow where my sister and I slept.

I crept on my knees to my parent's bdrm., and my father grabbed a baseball bat and went out to confront the man. However, by the time he got out there, it was all over (the man had gone).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 11:02PM

Dehlin gets a bit long winded when he isn't interviewing others, but there is a lot of important material in this video.

The part I found most striking was his conclusion, in which he outlines systemic problems in the LDS Church: the false claim that leaders are chosen through divine inspiration; over-emphasis on sex, which teaches people to lie; sexual interrogation of children; protection of predators, who are thereby enabled to continue abusing people; special protection of abusers who have connections to SLC; and a PR system that tries to minimize and conceal the truth after the fact.

Dehlin's list of predators whom the church has safeguarded and often promoted--Steven Murdock in Tennessee, Sterling Van Waganen, Michael Jensen in West Virginia, Lowell Robison, and of course Joseph Bishop--is devastating. Imagine how many other monsters were cossetted over the years and decades and how much harm they did to innocent people. Protecting children was never a priority.

I wish Dehlin had prepared a bit better and rambled a bit less, but the facts he presents in this video are chilling. It leaves no room for belief in the spirituality or even responsibility of the church leadership. It would also be nice, however, if Dehlin would revisit his recent statement that ex-Mormons need to respect the church until they learn to replicate the community it provides. For the community he describes in this Youtube clip is clearly not worth preserving.

Posted by: Kidtwist ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 08:55AM

Dehlin is indeed long winded. His 4 hr. interview marathons have a bout an hour and a half of decent valid information in them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.