Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 12:40PM

Does anybody recall that when the church restructured its meeting schedule they forced classes to circle the chairs for the discussion of revelation regarding the ward?

And many of us were somewhat dumbfounded because the church had always taught that only the bishop could have pertinent revelations for the members of the ward. So after the change, a bunch of members have been sharing their revelations. Apparently, the church is enraged that members are sharing and teaching their own ideas about life after death. Send the dummy church leaders to the rescue!

-President Oaks asked members what they really know about the spirit world, then pointed out that the scriptures contain the basics, but not much else. He also taught that spirits continue to live in the spirit world after death, God’s and Jesus Christ’s work of salvation continues there, and some repentance is possible.

-President Oaks acknowledged that many people have reported visions of the spirit world, but he cautioned that these personalized experiences are not to be taught or understood as church doctrine.

-Additionally members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have previously taught that not every statement by a church leader should be considered doctrine, especially when spoken on a single occasion. Doctrine is taught by all members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and the First Presidency, he said.

Now this is not my intention to discuss or debate the evidence of near death experiences, but I have never stumbled across a written or oral account that described the need of temple ordinances, handshakes or passwords to enter the glory of the light.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 01:40PM

First, I second your admonition in your last paragraph: let's not get into a debate about near death experiences or the truth/falsity of personal revelation, spirit beings, and those gray areas (pun intended, here) of LDS teaching on the afterlife. What I'd like to hear are what people were taught at the informal ward level, and what revelations (also: promptings, directions, and leadings) 1) people they know/knew claimed to have had, and 2) such revelations Board members believed they had when active members.

There have been lots of postings about testosterone-rich RMs courting and proposing in quicktime. I think we can dispense with that sort of "revelation."

Somebody mentioned, recently, in a post, that Nelson (or somebody) at the recent General Conference gave a long talk about the spirit world. Does anybody know what the talk, and would a link be available? I'd love to hear it myself--for critical purposes, of course.

Thanks! --theMetaPhysicalFiend

Posted by: logged out this week ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 01:57PM

I know of only one mormony NDE - Boise SP Heber Hale in 1920:

http://emp.byui.edu/davisr/121/Vision%20of%20H%20Hale.htm

also at

http://emp.byui.edu/ANDERSONKC/halesp.pdf

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 12:34PM

He, Heber Q., lived another 49 years after learning in 1920 that he needed to return to mere mortality to complete important work...

I could find no indication that he ever did jack crap during those remaining years. I would suggest that his vision was just a wet dream gone bad, mixing delusions of grandeur with illusions of glandure, to coin a phrase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 12:37PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Anon..... ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 12:23PM

In Kansas City, some perhaps 15 years ago, there was a mission president here that was regarded as an "expert" on the spirit world. He would hold "firesides" for memebers at the Visitor Center. I never went, but heard about his BS. He would talk about the "great bridge" and gulf that divided spirit prison and the spirit world. How he had visions of missionaries walking across this bridge to teach people in the spirit world. He said it was a real bridge and was guarded on both ends, and that missionaries routinely had to use their temple signs and token in order to pass by. He had references from apostles, etc. to back it up. Mormons were giddy with their extra special insight from this mission president. Alas he went home and is now probably in the spirit world himself.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 12:42PM

Um...

Do you recall that Repentance includes restitution?

when one person has harmed another, taking property or emotions, how can that be 'repented' in the spirit world?

what about the suffering that some hurtful acts result it?

Your B.S. Mr. Oaks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.