Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 11:04AM

Elder Holland must have had some great vaping before stating this.

-When one goes to the holy temple for the first time, he or she may be somewhat awestruck by that experience. Our job is to ensure that the sacred symbols and revealed rituals, the ceremonial clothing and visual presentations, never distract from but rather point toward the Savior, whom we are there to worship. The temple is His house, and He should be uppermost in our minds and hearts—the majestic doctrine of Christ pervading our very being just as it pervades the temple ordinances —from the time we read the inscription over the front door to the very last moment we spend in the building. Amid all the wonder we encounter, we are to see, above all else, the meaning of Jesus in the temple.

Like so many others, I wondered what the heck was going on. It was NOTHING like any church ordinance or ritual. With all the hype about spiritual nirvana, I thought something marvelous was going to occur. Instead I heard a lot of pig Latin at the veil. And their stupid film was an insult to intelligence; it made no sense at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 11:26AM

I was struck by that too. I was thinking: "How much worshiping of Christ really goes on in there?"

If Holland actually believes this stuff then he really thinks it all "points toward the savior"--but MorCorp is his bread and butter, so what else can he say?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 11:38AM

>> "When one goes to the holy temple for the first time, he or she may be somewhat awestruck by that experience. Our job is to ensure that the sacred symbols and revealed rituals, the ceremonial clothing and visual presentations, never distract from but rather point toward the Savior....."

I had just returned to activity in mormonism at 22 yrs old after being a worldly and fully inactive rebel since I was 13...the rebel started at about 6 yrs old though. They quickly pulled me into the mission experience and within a few months of activity, I was going through the LA temple for the first time on my way to the West Indies Mission (83-85).

Awestruck? WTF? I was shocked! In a disturbing kind of way too. Thinking of the savior? WTF? I was thinking "am I really going to be expected to kill myself if I show someone the secret handshakes and passwords? What kind of freaky cult part of mormonism is this?!?!" And I went along with it. I felt the same getting sealed a few years later.

I the only thing I learned in the temple was that I didn't enjoy it and would be awestruckingly embarrassed if any one out side of the temple death cult knew I was doing that.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 11:40AM

I don't think I was taught that particular Jesus.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 12:06PM

Awestruck? No.

Shocked and disturbed? Yes

The naked touching thing was my first red flag. Then the ridiculous costume including hat with a string. Then having to memorize lines and handshakes, WTF! Wouldn't an all-knowing god already know who I am? Then the chanting began. I remember thinking OMG, this is what cults do. I don't remember ever feeling like I was worshiping a Savior. Mostly it was just a pain in the ass. I went back several times and didn't enjoy any of them, It was easier to live with the guilt than suffer through the "temple experience", so I mostly tried to avoid it.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 12:26PM

It made me think of the Savior immediately with the secret hand clasps: John 18:20: “ Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.”

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 01:28PM

more like gobsmacked.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 02:19PM

I think Holland confused awestruck with dumbstruck.

Awestruck would imply one is jaw-droppingly impressed-- not so shocked and surprised that one is unable to speak.

The endowment in the temple is not awesome, it is "dumbsome." Unless of course you find reading a Dick and Jane book as an adult to be awesome.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 02:24PM

Not awestruck, just weirded out by the baker hats and aprons

and the infantile hand gestures. It kinda seemed like gestures

that a kid would use for his clubhouse. Real elementary and

dopey, especially the hats . How do you explain this ??

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 02:25PM

It was and will always be one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

I definitely was not thinking of Christ. Never thought of Christ while I was in the temple. I was too worried about the old bitches telling me I was doing things wrong.

Like someone above said, I got to a point that I'd rather feel guilty (which my husband wanted me to feel) than go through THAT!

My daughter makes her husband take her to the temple every week. My boyfriend and I go to the movies, too, every week. We saw "Downton Abby" this past weekend. Any movie is better than the temple movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 02:26PM by cl2.

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 04:30PM

I was disappointed when I went for the first time,Having listened to some members go on about other churches which had statues,symbols,altars and much more I came away thinking how hypocritical LDS can be about other churches,not just the "we are the only true church on the face of the earth"but bringing them down when they have some really ridiculous signs.symbols and tell new temple goers that there will be symbols etc

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 05:39PM

The savior was the last thing on my mind. Thinking the church was completely nuts and I was in a house of horrors was on my mind.

Date: October 09, 2019 05:44PM

I doubt I was the only male who wished the camera would pan down and we could get a better view of Eve’s nudity.

Heck. Adam was a pretty good looking guy. I’m sure a few ladies had similar thoughts.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 12:00PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adam was a pretty good looking guy.

I thought he was an Adonis.

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 10:46PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The savior was the last thing on my mind.
> Thinking the church was completely nuts and I was
> in a house of horrors.

The old-time ritual concocted by Freemasons was the source of things considered here.

JoJun, with his pals and handlers, fed this stuff into pale versions of rituals we now call Mormon Temple rites.

It's rebungnified Masonry word-for-word.

All knee to knee and cheek to cheek chicanery.

Stupid, stolen oaths for oafs.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 05:44PM

Maybe Holland is just gaslighting here. Trying to convince temple goers to look back on the experience and think it was really special after all.

I tried for several years to find something special about the temple but then finally realized it was not a spiritual event.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 05:55PM

I was told to "remember everything" because I was going to have to repeat it back to someone. My mind was spinning trying to remember all the gibberish that I forgot almost everything. Thank goodness the person at the veil helps you say/repeat the words to get you out!

I invited some friends to go through the first time with me. One guy was a former boyfriend who graduated from Harvard. He looked so ridiculous in his temple outfit I had to tell myself that there must be something to it if a boring, Harvard MBA could stand there looking like an idiot and not laugh.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 06:13PM

You’d think he was selling a used car.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 09:47PM

The WONDER we encounter in the temple? Sure, I was expecting something marvelous--but it turned out to be 3 hours of a shitty movie, trying to suppress an erection from watching whoever the hottie was who played Adam prance around naked with Satan, a cultist prayer circle, and then repeating some mumbo-jumbo to a flustered old man at a curtain. The part that really did me in, though, was finding out that in order to get into Mormon heaven you have to know the f**king password.

The PASSWORD. To get into HEAVEN.

The whole time I WONDERED how this event to which I had looked forward my entire life could turn out to be such a letdown, a make-believe play session complete with baker's hats and aprons. All the adults in my life went on and on about how sacred this was supposed to be, and how spiritually and intellectually fulfilling. But I came out of it with only the new knowledge that all these people I had admired were, in fact, idiots.

Date: October 09, 2019 11:51PM

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!

Date: October 09, 2019 10:56PM

I felt so uncomfortable going there. I felt extreme anxiety and I doubted that I could reach out to other members for help and support. Here I was a believing member that loathed going to the temple. Had I spoken up in EQ, I would have been mocked; possibly attacked for trifling with sacred matters. I was the ward clerk and had I brought it up during the Sunday morning bishopric meeting, I would have accused of hiding some unresolved sin.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 11:10PM

My second eldest brother told me the entire ceremony before I went through because it freaked him so much and he was worried I would run out. He's been a stake president, so he's quite TBM, but as TBM as he is, he goes to the temple the bare minimum to remain under the radar. When he goes to the temple, if anyone looks as though he or she even might be thinking about being sick, my brother insists on treating the person instead of finishing the session.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 01:31PM

Granted, I haven't been through since the slit-your-throat, Pay-lay-ale days, but the last thing I felt like was that I was worshipping God or Christ or even thinking about Christ. What role does Christ have in the ceremony? But good ol Satan (he was a hunk in the 70s) and Arthur "Big Guy" Carlson played major roles. I was certainly NOT awestruck, more like dumbstruck.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 02:42PM

Awestruck????
Awestruck????
Mormon temple rituals?? Awestriking???

nope. not even close

Date: October 10, 2019 03:53PM

I liked Jeff Holland as a university president. I met him when I was a BYU student and he really did care about the students and he didn't rule with an iron fist either. Jeff seemed like he liked his job. He was happy in those days.

As an apostle Jeff seems unhappy. He seems like he about ready to have a breakdown or lose his temper. He's not the same guy that was running BYU 35 years ago.

Date: October 10, 2019 10:41PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 09:03PM

No...but I thought the quality of the mill work was fascinating in the Cardston temple after it got renovated.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 01:33AM

Any connection between doing or choosing or living a Christ-Like life and the temple thingee is slim / coincidental.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 12:53AM

I myself would use the term "insulting & coerced-struck".

I could not believe that after hearing repeatedly how sacred, special and marvelous the temple experience was that I had really been corralled, cornered and coerced into buying into this ridiculously juvenile demeaning roadshow performance which insulted my intelligence and belief in right and wrong.

Given no warning I would be told, not asked mind you, that I was to give everything I had, plus my life, to the church if and when they wanted it did not sit well in the least, nor was it sacred, special or marvelous!

Lies and more lies is what I had been exposed to - Lies that would lead me right out of this CULT.

Posted by: Big strings ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 07:57AM

John Wayne had a cameo in the film "The Greatest Story Ever Told" as the centurion at the crucifixion who says "Truly, this man was the Son of God."

Wayne was well known for being a bit wooden as an actor sometimes, so they had to do multiple takes for the line. The director pleaded with Wayne, and said, "John, you need to show more AWE."

During the next take, Wayne changed the line to, "Aw, truly this man was the Son of God."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 06:57PM

*likes*

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 06:56PM

LDS architects should be sacked. Their temple designs are hideous. I think they blight the landscape.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 07:37PM

Lately I've started asking Mormon missionaries I know what they thought of the Endowment ceremony when they went through the Temple before going on their missions. Several said that they were, as they put it, "weirded out" by the experience. One said that his returned missionary older brother told him before he went through the Temple: "Remember, no matter how you feel about what you are going to experience in the Temple, the Church is still true!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.