Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 17, 2019 08:04PM

I guess they better step it up with the tithing. I watched "the windows of heaven" so often in my youth, it was obvious that only when the folks down there paid more tithing, it started to rain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 17, 2019 09:14PM

Once during a drought here the combined stakes of southern Alberta prayed their asses off to get the Lard to send us some rain...and he was otherwise engaged and nothing happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2019 09:15PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 17, 2019 10:44PM

LOL @ exmos who choose to live in that god-forsaken sh!thole wilderness ~

jus LOL ~

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 10:03AM

It IS a desert. What were you expecting ?

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 10:56AM

Interesting because they had one of the wettest springs I remember. In March (when I was down there) there was snow on the shady side of the houses. They rarely ever have snow.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 10:56PM

there was snow 15 miles north of there when I drove through in February and the day after I was there it snowed 6" and shut down the town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2019 10:56PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 03:26PM

My most fond memory of my Mormonism was watching The Windows of Heaven in the chapel. We all seemed to be of one mind in thinking prayer and faithful devotion could do things in the real world.

But I was a child...and moisture was flowing fuller unto my innocent cheeks. Crying waters the flowers of love.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 03:49PM

Russ and Co. better get out the horse and buggy's and make the 2 week trip to St. George and get them to start paying more tithing!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 21, 2019 02:26AM

Russ: I got to go to St. George.
Wendy: That’s a long grueling trip! Can you make it at your age?
Russ: I will have to. I don’t know why but the Lord has called me to go to St. George.

Posted by: AnonNow ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 08:19PM

“I don't know how the people of St. George can stand the heat, the Indians, the snakes and the flooding Virgin River. I believe if I had a house in Hell and a house in St. George, I'd rent out the one in St. George and move straight to Hell. I really would.”

J. Golden Kimball

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 08:37PM

TBM MIL and FIL have a house there. Every time I look at that place I wonder how anyone actually lives there. A visit is one thing but permanent residence is an awful thought.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 10:52PM

if some nudist or clothing-optional resorts were in business there, Lots of changes would happen, not sure about rain/'moisture' there however. P..

Seattle & PNW depend on 'surface water' from watersheds/snow-pacs that are vigorously monitored & measured every fall-winter,

what's the source for St. George & neighboring communities?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 11:36PM

And they have new golf courses and a water park planned. They think they're going to get a pipeline to Lake Powell.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 12:17PM

How can SG get water from Lake Powell, I was under the impression that the Colorado river water was over subscribe as it is.

Date: October 19, 2019 12:33PM

TumW:

is there a chance you're under-estimating the ChurchCo influence on geo-political matters?

This seems to be a great opportunity for ChurchCo behind-the-scenes influence (bullying) on 2 out of three branches of governmental decision-makers;

OH Wait, perhaps Oaks has some favors he can call in from the judicial branch, make that all 3 branches....

outcome of my scenario: SG denizens get water, ChurchCo claims victory, comes out as a hero, other (potential) water users get screwed.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 05:13PM

The entire water situation in the Colorado River basin is a major problem. It's going to take a herculean effort to arrive a reasonable solution.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/19/colorado-river-drought-contingency-plan/

Date: October 21, 2019 02:32AM

The whole southwest is going to have water problems. That pipeline is estimated to cost $2 billion. Plus the water out of the Colorado River will be fought over and Arizona is ready, Utah is not.

What will happen is they will make the cost of water in St. George skyrocket so people are forced to conserve. I doubt that pipeline will ever be built.

Date: October 18, 2019 11:42PM

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/05/americas-fastest-growing-urban-area-has-a-water-problem/560492/

(paraphrase) St. George has cheap water rates for customers... St. George citizens use about twice as much per capita as LA residents...
Gee, do we think there's a connection?

Date: October 21, 2019 02:33AM

It won’t stay cheap.

Date: October 19, 2019 06:19PM

all this leads me to ask:

is there information about the 'water table' in the area?

How deep would a suitable well have to be established to help out?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 21, 2019 12:24AM

My father went there to die. It wouldn't surprise me if the land were cursed by now.

Date: October 21, 2019 04:51PM

'someone' knows how deep a nearby aquifer is, NOAA or some other department / agency.

St George water people should research this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.