Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 11:40AM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2019/11/11/two-science-societies/

This is quite a long article by Trib standards, so they invested some serious (and scarce) resources in writing this. Good for them. Looks like there are still plenty of BYU administrators and even students willing to defend what certainly appears to be a stand on the wrong side of history. Reminds me of my years at BYU in the early 1970s when BYU was getting hammered by other schools over the LDS priesthood exclusion.

The ads were pulled after the organizations got complaints that the ads violated organization policies against discrimination based on sexual orientation. It will be interesting to see if this snowballs.

[edit to clarify]: BYU placed ads for job openings with two professional societies in geological sciences. The organizations pulled the BYU ads after receiving complaints for society members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 11:49AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 11:53AM

I can hear the ChurchCo spin on this all the way here to western WA;

I hope Utahans continue to support the SLT as an alternative to the palp the DN publicizes disguised as news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 12:45PM by GNPE.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 12:08PM

Interesting.

BYU doesn't get to act like they support modern science while living in the past about discrimination.

They are related. Scientists come in all genders, orientation and colors and they should be treated fairly.

Any school that resorts to implying that God OK's discrimination frankly doesn't deserve scientific accreditation IMO.

Date: November 11, 2019 02:32PM

"Any school that resorts to implying that God OK's discrimination frankly doesn't deserve scientific accreditation IMO."

I think you may be on to something. In the 1970s, BYU didn't lose their tax exemption like Bob Jones U did because it wasn't BYU policies that were discriminatory, it was LDS Church policies. Priesthood was not required to attend or graduate from BYU. The Bob Jones anti-mixed race dating policy, OTOH, required the students themselves to discriminate, and that's what got BJU in trouble.

I seriously doubt that BYU's tax exemption is or will be in serious trouble, but their accreditation from private accrediting organizations could well be another story.

I think this bears watching, and I fully expect that eventually the BYU policy will be to treat all married students the same, regardless of sexual orientation.

The BYU Law School already has backed down on expelling law students who resign from the Church because the ABA had a problem with expelling students for following their conscience, Expelling gay students for marrying seems like a very similar situation.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 02:41PM

> The BYU Law School already
> has backed down on expelling
> law students who resign from
> the Church because the ABA
> had a problem with expelling
> students for following their
> conscience, Expelling gay
> students for marrying seems
> like a very similar situation.

What do we know about their admissions policies? Would they have an absolute 'unwritten' ban on admitting students known to be Gay? Could they?

Date: November 11, 2019 10:59PM

I think there could be a lawsuit over admission discrimination, but I think it would be a tough case to win. The FERPA educational rights fed law has serious due process guarantees for enrolled students. Those same rights do not extend to applicants. You have no guaranteed right to appeal having your application for admission turned down. Going straight to an anti discrimination lawsuit is a steep hill to climb.

I think social pressure like professional organizations could be far more effective and much faster than lawsuits. Lawsuits are not the only way to win a fight.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 02:58PM

It would be interesting to see higheredjobs.com response to the article since they have BYU postings up as well.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 03:03PM

The light on Russell's pen is flashing erratically due either to an electrical short or an incoming revelation.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 06:20PM

I blame Satan.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 07:56AM

I blame low testosterone.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 01:40PM

If you pray hard enough you get sent a Celestosterone injection into your head. It cures homosexuality as well as increasing sperm counts and virility.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 03:50PM

The "Mormon Church" owns the school and they can damn well do as they please!!!
H O W E V E R !!!
There is a thing called "behavioral consequences" which states that for every behavior there is a consequence.
This applies to that church as well.
They can do as they please but they must accept the results of their behavior!!!

Posted by: Mormal ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 06:57AM

If nothing else this shows the hypocrisy of science... A few generations ago mainstream science was administering ECT to gays, and the state imprisoned them in many cases. In some old diagnostic manuals, homosexuality was listed as an illness...

Here's a question: have any major scientific or psychiatric organizations ever paid out compensation for what they did to gays in living memory?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 12:17PM

Mormal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If nothing else this shows the hypocrisy of
> science... A few generations ago mainstream
> science was administering ECT to gays,

"Mainstream science?" I seriously doubt that. Do you have any evidence that mainstream science, as opposed to a minority of tendentious sadists, tortured those poor people?

----------------
> Here's a question: have any major scientific or
> psychiatric organizations ever paid out
> compensation for what they did to gays in living
> memory?

"Major scientific or psychiatric organizations" didn't torture gay people, so they have nothing for which to pay.

I think it important to recognize that while hostility to LGTBQ+ people was ubiquitous in 1950s and 1960s America, a willingness to torture was not. Mormons and their agents did things that broader society never countenanced.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.