Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 01:35PM

Saugus is located in the northern part of Los Angeles County.

Everyone is now safe, but there have been both injuries (six victims) and one current fatality. Two victims are in critical condition. The shooter is in custody (and is at the hospital with self-inflicted injuries).

From all reports, everyone--at the school, both faculty and students, plus law enforcement--did precisely what should, ideally, have been done in this kind of situation.

This is not only "close to home" for me, but I lived in Saugus itself for about a year when I was 17-18.

These school shootings need to be stopped....somehow. I don't know how, but we (Americans) have a problem that is not yet being solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0akv-RP12s

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BI ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 08:23AM

This is horrible and especially shocking when it’s so close to home. These poor kids, by no fault of their own, are growing up (or not :_( growing up) in the world we have left for them.

Somedays it’s harder than others to stay away from the edge of the ever growing downward spiral of hopelessness.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 12:32PM

BI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These poor kids, by no
> fault of their own, are growing up (or not :_(
> growing up) in the world we have left for them.

Who is “we”? Did you leave the a world for them to shoot up a school? I didn’t.

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 12:43PM

Sorry kathleen. You are entirely correct but I can’t edit. please forgive my carelessness.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 01:18PM

Bl, no apologies necessary. You are right that they are growing up in a crazy world.

... And we are growing old in a crazy world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2019 01:24PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 12:19PM

The main reason I posted this was practical:

At that time (when I posted it) there was livestream TV reporting, and the students were explaining the practical steps they took to avoid being massacred. The TV reportage was basically a tutorial in "How To Survive A Massacre"--and I thought this information was important.

About a month ago (more or less) there was what (at first) appeared to be a mass shooting underway at Topanga Mall--to the point where store managers were going into "massacre mode" and visitors to the mall were running down the halls screaming out warnings to everyone that there was an active shooter in the mall. At that time, store managers closed and locked their doors, herded "everyone" (employees, customers, visitors....everyone) into back rooms, etc. It eventually turned out that there was no mass shooter, but there WAS a [my impression armed] robbery at one of the most upscale stores there.

I also know another story about how a particular woman survived the mass shooting at the nightclub in Thousand Oaks about a year ago. Turns out, she had been trained by her police officer father to survive mass shootings, so when she realized that she was in the vulnerable middle of one, she went through the steps her father had taught her--and she survived.

When the shooting in Saugus happened yesterday, I was immediately struck by how savvy those students who were being interviewed were--they all "knew the steps," and they had all followed the steps as they had been instructed, and not only did they keep themselves safe, they were also central to saving the lives of those who were, at that moment, physically around them.

THIS is why I posted this thread--and (since I live near Saugus, and once lived--fairly briefly--in Saugus when I was first married) I thought those [what amounted to] "tutorials," from those students who had done so well under literally lethal circumstances, could possibly help anyone on this board who might, in the future, find themselves in this kind of situation.

In a mass shooting situation, there ARE "steps to take" which could, in truth, make the difference between being able to continue living, or dying, during that situation.

THIS is why I posted this thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2019 10:07PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 12:37PM

I want to know about the background of the shooter.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 02:04PM

'Back in the day' when Washington first proposed / considered law(s) against having firearms on school grounds, the NRAites put up a fuss regarding rancher-cowboy Joe-Jane who drove their kids to school in the pick-em-up truck complete with a rifle on a gun rack behind the seat; IDK how that detail was finalized.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.