Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 08:48AM

All of the tropes are there -- gods from outer space, alien visitation, mysterious artefacts, a creepy cult, fake temples, human-alien hybrids, metempsychosis...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 01:49PM

Don't forget Brigham taught two things a hundred years before they became feature films.

1. Christ had children and his literal descendants are among us today. (The DaVinci Code)

2. Adam came to this world with his wives through a gateway. (Stargate)

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 06:20PM

Joe Smith would be perfect for the "Mars needs women*" trope.

Come to think of it, the claim that Mormon god came down and knocked-up Mary might also play into that trope.

*For those who don't waste a large chunk of their time on TV Tropes, this is where alien beings focus on going after human females for mating purposes. Does not help the stereotype of sci-fi fans and writers being perverted weirdos.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 08:14PM

You know interestingly enough I was listening to evangelical radio yesterday (Truth Network) and the pastor (Matt Slick) said this, He brought up the fallen angels doctrine creating the Giants (naphaliem) from Genesis 9. And then referenced some verse in Revelations to tell the audience that in the last days Demons will spawn alien children or giants to reek havoc on planet earth once again.

I'm surprised that many Christians actually believe this crap.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 09:26PM

Wow, Pastor Slick on the Truth Network....it would be hard to make something up funnier than that.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 08:23PM

ookami Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe Smith would be perfect for the "Mars needs
> women*" trope.
>
Wratts! You beat me to it!
>
> *For those who don't waste a large chunk of their
> time on TV Tropes, this is where alien beings
> focus on going after human females for mating
> purposes. Does not help the stereotype of sci-fi
> fans and writers being perverted weirdos.

Like "Humanoids From the Deep?"

Incidentally, just today I saw a vanity license plate, "PLAN9."

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 11:34PM

Not 'Plan 10'? THERE'S your parody!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 09:06PM

Great! Have fun writing out your script / screen play.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 01:04AM

Okay, it's not a parody, and Starbuck is a kickass woman, but you know. The 12 Colonies of Kobol?

So say we all.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 01:18AM

Every time I fall asleep in the bathtub, I have the weirdest dreams....

And I used to think that there was a Number Eight out there waiting for me.

Date: November 17, 2019 01:45AM

Hey - would you write a treatment for a Caprica reboot?

Date: November 17, 2019 07:36AM

some of the other planets/colonies (e.g. Gemenon, Tauron, Scorpia etc.), with some Caprica tie-ins.

The central figures would be an ensemble of characters involved in inter-colonial trade, politics and intrigue.

One key story arc would involve an occult religious group comprised of ancient cylons ("Ancients") who guard a secret knowledge of their actual identities and origins and who secretly have guided society in developing the technologies that ultimately will bring about the second genesis of the cylon form of conscious/sentient life.

They are opposed by "conspiracy theorists" who have started to connect dots and are trying to warn the 12 Colonies civilization about the long-term consequences and dangers inherent in the path that the Ancients have laid out and are continually pushing society forward on from their positions of great power within key institutions. The people attempting to warn society about the plan of the Ancients are of course not believed by most, but their struggle with the Ancients brings forth a number of interesting philosophical conundrums and plot twists.

Date: November 17, 2019 01:47AM

Did you know that Grace Park was in that freaky NXIVM thing?

Date: November 17, 2019 07:14AM

No I didn't. I thought I was beyond being surprised by the off-screen lives of famous actors/Hollywood types.

But this one surprised me. It's disappointing.

Date: November 17, 2019 01:14AM

(1) The seer stone (aka, the "peepstone") was a high-tech communication device (not unlike smartphones in purpose, but much more sophisticated). They were available in customized designs, including: "Brown Stone Deluxe", "Crystal Divine", "Burlap Earthtone", "Groovy Rainbow" and "Titanium Gleam".

The one that Joe Smith discovered (while digging a well for Willard Chase) was dropped by an ancient alien visitor running away from a bear during the Yonger Dryas (pronounced "younger dry ass") era. That particular alien explorer had purchased the "Brown Stone Deluxe" version of the i-phonehome communicator just days earlier from the commissary aboard the mother ship. (The mother ship is currently in another galaxy.)

(2) Moroni was a hologram, controlled by AI installed in a computational device that was embedded in the "sealed" portion of the golden plates. The batteries were in sleeping mode until Joseph Smith moved the rock that had concealed the stone box in which the computational device (aka "the Golden Plates") were stored. The activation of the batteries gave off an initial shock that Joe misinterpreted as a zap from God. The hologram told Joe to come back every year for a number of years because that was how much time it would take for the AI to sync up with all of the communication devices still located in the solar system.

(3) Moroni did not actually take the golden plates to a spiritual heaven. They were beamed up to an orbiting retrieval pod (about 300 miles above the earth surface) that had just then arrived in earth orbit (from it's default orbit around Saturn) after receiving a signal from a signal beacon that had been automatically activated when Joe activated the AI in the golden plates.

If you need any other inside information, let me know. Hint: Peter, James and John...well...they were NOT Peter, James and John (cue Outer Limits theme song).....

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 01:25AM

Great idea. Crowdfund it.
Kolob meets Interstellar
Alternate universe where Joseph's Myth actually makes perfect sense, in a bizzaro world sense of the word.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 02:00AM

Don't forget the sex. A good reference is "Flesh Gordon," a movie from the seventies.

Date: November 17, 2019 02:01AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.