Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 11:24PM

"By their fruits ye shall know them."

The Mormon game has been a corrupt, "for profit" con from the get-go...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bspcnot ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 11:36PM

I donated an average of $5k per year from 1989-1999. At a 10% annual rate of return, the investment would be worth more than $500K right now.

Dear LDS Scammers,
Send me a check or money order.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 11:51PM

The opportunity to see a prophet of gawd and receive inspired counsel and revelation.

When Spencer W. Kimball revealed to all of the members that they needed to get a round tuit (a round piece of paper with the words "round tuit" on it) to remind them not to procrastinate, you know that was worth more than $5,000.

When Gordon B. Hinckley affirmed that he was sustained as a prophet and the doctrine of eternal progression was more of a couplet than anything else, you know that was worth more than all the gold on earth.

And now, you may not be paying for it, but a mighty prophet of the Lord is still dispensing inspired wisdom and telling the world that Jesus's feelings are hurt whenever you call a Mormon a Mormon. Where else can you get such priceless wisdom and divine revelation?

So who are we to begrudge these noble servants of the Lord for dabbling in high finance and a bit of tithing legerdemain on the side.

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 11:44PM

I haven’t posted in years, but this news is so exciting that it brings me out of lurking mode. A $100 billion hoarded for the Second Coming!? All the while members struggle to pay tithing (and everything else that’s assessed). This has got to be the beginning of the end for the morg.

Thank-you, Lars and David!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 12:06AM

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 07:44AM

And that's not the church's ONLY assets.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 10:59AM

It is truly delicious news....and looking forward to seeing what spin Rusty puts on it to try and weasel out of taking responsibility.

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 05:37PM

They can try to spin it, but any financial transparency that comes from this will serve to show members how they’ve been scammed of their money, time, and hard work. There is just no justification for hiding $100 billion in stocks, bonds, and cash, then treating the members like serfs. I would bet that some of that largesse has slopped over into the top connected church families’ lives.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 12:08AM

you need to volunteer to clean the toilets at your local church every weekend.

They can't afford to pay for janitors.

They can't afford to pay missionaries a stipend. That's why missionaries' families have to pay for the privilege of donating two years of life as volunteer recruiters for the church.

If the church started paying for things like that, they would likely start running out of money after only 150 years or so.

How can you have a massive slush fund, if you spend money to make the lives of ordinary members of the church easier?

How can you grow a slush fund while also having your prophet and his girlfriends fly around the world in a private jet, if you insist on spending tithing money on things that tithing money obviously should be spent on?

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 04:13AM

The cult will simply plead "insanity and mass-hysteria." They will hide behind Christ, and say that ALL Christians are preparing for the Second Coming, in their own ways, right? This is just the Mormon way of preparing.

We are too idealistic (one of the reasons we left the cult, I'm sure). The Mormons won't even try to vindicate themselves. They are above the law. All they need to do is cover up their lies with more lies, and wait with their fancy lawyers for those lies to be uncovered, then come up with new lies to cover those up, and on and on it goes.

Hell, they aren't even "Mormons, anymore. What's this "Mormon Church" that taxpayers want to investigate, anyway?

I have spend my BIC lifetime watching the Mormons win and the people lose--every time--the Mormons always win--and they go on taking.

Date: December 17, 2019 07:52AM

I fear you may be right to not get too excited. I know I read somewhere that the IRS supposedly didn't have enough budget to go after wealthy people. And it's very risky for politicians to go after churches. So will anything actually be done? Still, it would be nice to see TSCC have to be ACCOUNTABLE for once.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 05:15AM

Rusty and his pals should take a group photo with money in their mouths the way Mitt Romney did.

I’m not sure TBMs will find it so appalling. The Lord has blessed the church with $100B, so it must be super duper righteous. Their anti-gay rhetoric must really be paying off. Sure, they could have some ‘splaining to do with the IRS, but persecution for their beliefs is run of the mill.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 05:45AM

Why would Jesus need $100,Billion or more upon his return? If Jesus shows up on Temple Square in his power and glory and proclaims the Mormon church to be true, I don't think the Mormon Corporate Empire will ever be short of cash after that and if they ever do need more money after that, I am sure that Jesus won't have any difficulty getting as much cash as he needs at that time. The mormon church's hoarding at the expense of charity won't impress Jesus at all if he is anything like the Jesus of the new testament. This leads us back to the issue of the $100, Billion that the mormon church is currently hoarding. They need to do some real charity with most of it,starting with something that would really benefit their own members and those who have been injured by the mormon dystopia.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 06:39AM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... The mormon church's hoarding at the expense of charity ...

I remember their Word from on High when I was in that members should *not* give money to those in need - let the Prophet handle it - or something like that.

When I visited SLC there was even a sign in the temple grounds to that effect, iirc.

My reasoning at the time was along the lines that they must have an organized channel of outreach to help people living in poverty.

Uh. Yeah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2019 06:40AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 08:20AM

Maybe Mrs Jesus is a shopaholic with more shoes than Imelda Marcos. That would explain the mall. She would also need a large mansion in which to put all her stuff. TSCC just wants her to have a nice lifestyle.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 05:55AM

This is all so outrageous!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 10:01AM

MexMom Wrote:
> This is all so outrageous!
===============================

Yep.

And totally expected.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 06:09AM

The story has been picked up by CBS radio news and the SL Tribune. It sounds like today is the day that the story starts to go wide.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 07:09AM

Thank You, Neilsen brothers, for FINALLY bringing this scam out into the light for all to see!!!

The church needs to save 100 billion dollars in case Christ returns?

Oh, Please....

And to think of all the times I have fed my family beans and cut back on my kids Christmas, so that we could pay our end of the year extortion payment to TSCC...

I cannot think of a better time for this story to break, than right now -- during the season of Tithing Settlement...

I sure hope that it wakes a few TBMs up, and helps persuade some TBM parents to spend their hard earned money on presents or food for the children, instead of contributions to this 100 billion dollar slush fund...

Date: December 17, 2019 07:29AM

One thing I never hear talked about is what was in Jesus's portfolio when he died. As a perfect being, he must have been excellent at saving up tithes and investing well, thus ensuring the financial well being of his family and followers upon his death.

Posted by: kjensen ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 07:38AM

I wonder if Jesus will tell them to sell it all and give it to the poor? Of course not, that new testament injunction is merely advisory, like the rich man through the eye of the needle, and all the other stuff that Jesus allegedly said that they ignore. I sure would like my 10% back though. We all know that the LDS propaganda machine will kick in, and the Mormons and the church's persecution complex will shift into high gear, and this will just be more fodder to show that they are the true church and they're being persecuted by the world. But it sure would be nice if the house of cards would just topple down. This is just further confirmation that Voltaire was right, religion started when the first scoundrel met the first fool. And there was no bigger scoundrel and con man than Joe Smith.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 08:11AM

I saw this article on Twitter this morning.

75% of comments favored taxing religion
20% of comments were spam bots posting about impeachment
5% of comments were Mormons trying to act offended that the article says "Mormon"

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 09:20AM

Well, well, well there must be a God after all. The Mormon's finally got caught in their fraud. This is a church that rewards their Mormon elite and enslaves their members.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 09:38AM

The cult has 6 Billion in operating costs per year. I doubt it.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 09:46AM

I wondered about that figure too.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 10:43AM

But they ARE cheap in quality... the whole thing is a massive ponzi scheme.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 04:53PM

>The cult has 6 Billion in operating costs per year. I doubt it

Quite possible if BYU is included in that figure.

The budget for the University of Utah in 2019 was over $5 billion.

https://fbs.admin.utah.edu/download/finreport/2019fin.pdf

Not all of BYU's budget would come directly from the church, but I am sure they are providing quite a bit of funding.

As noted, temple construction and reconstruction isn't cheap. Also, church operations in most of the world are subsidized. The information from Nielson states that only the US and Canada provide more revenue to the church than they use. The church in all other countries is subsidized by headquarters.

The key point is that EPA brings in more in earnings in a year than the expenses of the entire church.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 09:58AM

Is anyone else Shocked to their Very Toes?

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 10:42AM

Dr. No Wrote:
> Is anyone else Shocked to their Very Toes?

Ha! Not one bit! I think with all the "apostasy" going on that sooner or later someone was going to snitch. Also not surprised if this is just the tip of the iceberg. Standby for massive lying and obfuscation.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: December 17, 2019 10:33AM

Not a big fan of Ayn Rand, but this rather quotable quote does spring to mind when thinking about the rank-and-file membership paying tithing:

"It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master."

LDS, Inc. is nothing special. It's just a bunch of lawyers and businessmen exploiting working people. To them and their boot-licking toadies: F*ck you and the horse you rode in on!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 01:05AM

Now we just need a whistle blower for how the church spends the money it doesn’t just invest.

Once we get that then I think we’ll have a pretty good, and damning picture of what the church REALLY does with the members’ hard earned donations.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 01:25AM

Will Russ & the other 14 fit in the 'member janitor' (custodian?) closet?

If they would encourage member participation in policies & procedures, Don't we (they?) think that more members would buy into what they're peddling?

btw, I love the alignment previously mentioned in the WAPO.

ChurchCo: ES&D, the sooner the Better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.