Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 12:08AM

I hope you have a designated driver for tonight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 01, 2020 12:26AM

I drove down Tejon Street about 8:00pm and things looked pretty dead at all the bars.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 12:34AM

Tejon? In Co. Springs?

Date: January 01, 2020 12:35AM

Yup.

Date: January 01, 2020 12:38AM

Know Mike and Amanda Bristol? Know anything about the Pike's Peak Auto Hill Climb?

Date: January 01, 2020 12:52AM

I know where the Bristol Brewing Company is located on south cascade ave. That's about it.

The Pikes Peak hill climb has less people driving off of cliffs since the road is now paved.
Like the bumper sticker says ... "Real women don't need guard rails."

Date: January 01, 2020 12:56AM

My wife's Uncle helped start Bristol. He won the PPAHC 8 times. Her cuz, was head brewmaster at Bristol. He died at a young age during qualifying at the Hill Climb. Have bittersweet memories of living in the Springs. Happy New Year, Dave.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 12:26AM

A certain cop was known to get cheap arrests by hiding in an alley a half-block from a tavern. He'd wait for a drunk to drive off, pull him over, and arrest him.

One night at closing time the cop saw a guy stagger out of the bar, and stumble to a car. He slipped and fell twice, dropped his keys, revved the engine unnecessarily, and put his wipers on by mistake. He then pulled out into traffic, but drove very legally--too legally.

The cop pulled him over. The man had trouble getting his license, slurred his words and spoke evasively. He failed the 9-step walk-and-turn and other field sobriety tests. The cop confiscated his car keys and license, cuffed him, and drove him to the precinct house.

There, the man spoke normally and cooperated politely with the booking. He agreed to take the breathalyzer, and blew a 0.0. The cop recalibrated the machine, and the man still blew 0.0. This happened two more times.

"I can't figure it out," the cop said. "You're drunk as a skunk, but I can't get a reading! How much did you drink?"

"Two Cokes."

"Not two rum and Cokes?"

"Nope, two Cokes. You see, I drove off so you could follow and arrest me. That allowed all my friends to get to their cars and drive off without interference. You see, Officer, I'm the 'designated drunk.' Can I go home now?"

Date: January 01, 2020 12:27AM

That's an old joke.

Date: January 01, 2020 12:37AM

We'll let you off with a warning this time.

Date: January 01, 2020 01:10AM

Date: January 01, 2020 12:39AM

Even with conventional dating, 2020 is the end of a decade, not the beginning of one. We don't start counting with "zero." We start with "one," and proceed to the next number with a zero.

Unless you're French and counting floors in a building.

Date: January 01, 2020 01:10AM

Actually that joke is partly true. A cop followed me from my local bar one night to see if he could nail me as a drunk driver. Drunk drivers generally drive slow and weave. I was driving like a bat out of hell on the country road to get home 6 miles away. I had not been drinking and was driving right down the center line to avoid the deteriorating edge of the road. Cop said he clocked me doing 60 in a 55 mile zone and wondered why I was driving in the middle of the road. After I pointed out the road condition to him he did not ticket me.

Date: January 01, 2020 02:16AM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 04:00AM

LOL it was new to me! I will tell Hubby in the morning :)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 04:06AM

We never go out on New Years. It has kind of turned into a superstition. When we do, something goes wrong/bad. We are content just to stay home. Hubby had his vodka rocks and I had a couple of margaritas. We are easy :)

"In 525, a monk known as Dionysius Exiguus set out to determine the date of Easter and created a system of labeling years based on the date he thought Jesus Christ was born (a date that's considered historically inaccurate today). But he didn't account for the years before the birth of Jesus.
That was done in 731 by a monk known as the Venerable Bede. Bede counted the years before Christ and established the BC era, but he didn't include a year zero in his calculations. Which means that the year before 1 AD was 1 BC.
Because there's no year 0 in the calendar, the first year was complete at the end of year 1, not at its beginning.
By that same logic, the first decade in the calendar was complete at the end of 10 CE, or 10 AD.
Which means, according to the Farmers' Almanac, that the end of this decade is December 31, 2020, not December 31, 2019."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 01:59AM

I stayed home and had one beer...a locally brewed brown ale from Coulee Brew. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 02:04AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 02:16AM

Here's to us being a little less lonely this year.

(I hope it's okay if I call you LethRo - makes me think of Jethro Tull. I like Ian Anderson.)

Date: January 01, 2020 11:41AM

"LethRo is fine....lol...I like Ian too..."Locomotive Breath" has been on a local FM station playlist. I am looking forward to 2020 Beth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 11:42AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 02, 2020 09:53PM

Good! :D

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 10:35AM

I don't like New Year's Day either. I don't know which is worse, Valentine's Day or these 2. I stayed home and spilled my diet coke into the router by mistake (I was doing something for my dog). The router happens to be on the floor under my desk. Ask my "husband" why that is. That was my evening and I'm sick, so I actually fell asleep about 7:30 and woke up at 2 or 3 minutes to midnight and not with an alarm. Took my dog out and went back to sleep.

I might go out to eat today at my favorite place in town and have a drink. I like the sugary drinks. I've never become much of a drinker. I never learned much about drinking raised as I was, although my dad's family drank at all the parties and my dad always drank. My family was always worried I'd become an alcoholic if I started drinking. I'm too cheap to drink. Food is much cheaper than alcohol.

I think growing up mormon and all the attention to setting goals ruined me for New Year's and those boring New Year's Eve dances. But I wanted to find a man so I went. What a boring adolescence I had.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 10:36AM by cl2.

Date: January 01, 2020 10:52AM

What makes January 1 special? It's an arbitrary demarcation of our time line. February 29 comes once every four years--more worthy of celebration. It's earned the honor, so to speak.

I went down to the Christian Science Mother Church and heard a nice organ recital.* Bought some wings to go, came home and ate. My wife and daughters were out with their own agedae. I wrote, researched mutual funds, put in some orders, wrote some more, and listened to a radio station's classical-music "countdown."

Beethoven's 9th didn't make the #1 spot this year--rather, it was Dvorak's.

*A very good attendance--a lot more than they see on any Sunday!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 11:49AM

do. I prefer that most of the time.

Date: January 03, 2020 07:58PM

Am home as usual and just enjoyed a Fire & Fury red ale from Half Hitch brewery near Calgary...and an unopened bottle of Forty Creek Copper Pot whiskey beckons.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 03, 2020 10:02PM

¿ wut day is it OPie ? ~

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 09:46AM

The Non-mo Cocktail flag never stops flying...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 07:30PM

I don't think I've gone out on NYE since my mid-30s. I always stay home or celebrate and stay over with family members. None of us wants to be out on the roads.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.