Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 12:18PM

No law says i have to use a bank. Not even SSDI was safe. Forget that garbage. People of the 1930's you are remembered. I understand. I wish you people luck with your banks. I'm out. The warrior understands the cash grab and lock it up in the house. I totally get it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 12:25PM

Hope your cash is safe at home...

I have a sculptor friend who crafted a hideous statue to surround gold bars and leaves it out in the living room. Probably the weight would give it away. Maybe it could be a nativity set or something....

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 12:32PM

in b 4 ~ the apocalypse ~

an everybody LOL's @ OPie ~

and refuses to give OPie anything of value in exchange for OPie's worthless pieces of paper ~

Date: January 08, 2020 05:29PM

No apocalypse ziller just greedy lawyers taking Social security money from the bank at-will with only hours warning. Banks ain't safe if they can't protect disability money. Banktrupcy lawyer and sheriff told me the bank should have known not to give away SSDI or social security. So if you live off social security that money is free game if you fall behind in medical bills. Good thing i was not out of town i would have been really screwed because i do not carry cash. I carry cash now. Good thing i don't have a wife and kids to support. They completely cleaned out my SSDI account.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 05:51PM

good job OPie ~

always carry cash ~

Date: January 09, 2020 12:01AM

Lesson learned. I got too relaxed with the card. I did not think they would go for the SSDI account but they did. I am regrouping and i am the one holding my money for a little while at least. I am still standing and filling out banktrupcy papers. Its pretty draining to itemize and price all you have. Anyone that has filed for banktrupcy knows this is rough to go through every thing that you have even the dvds and your gaming systems and your books has to be written down and priced. But this was a good thing. I saw the kind of power they had in the end. They could garnish your social security account until it was in the negative. I thought they were going to garnish my wages but they definitely just went straight for the social security account to pay as much off of the debt as they could I GUESS. They saw money and just grabbed a big chunk of what i owed basically. Not sure how they chose the amount but it cleaned me out. They cleaned out my SSDI account. Not a percentage. They cleaned it out to negative fifty. I truly think they saw how much they could get away with taking or something and grabbed that amount all at once. To get as much as possible to pay the debt but they left me with no money for food until my paychecks came in. That SSDI check has been my consistent backbone for food money and they just grabbed it all. It kind of hit me or rubbed me in the wrong way you know. If you are willing to take disability money from a disabled persons disability bank account that says a lot to me. And the bankers just say TOO BAD SO SAD to a disabled man's face. It says a lot. It says a lot. It says the most about bankers because everyone knows the lawyer wants to steal money even from even the SSDI but the bankers should know not to take the SSDI money like the sheriff said. Lawyers should not be allowed to just walk in a take your social security money as just is what basically happened. So i'm fighting this with a banktrupcy lawyer so i am getting the money back for them taking the SSDI and they will get zero of the nine grand and probably higher with the court fees but i am putting and end to this crap right now. Don't care if the banktrupcy forms are a million pages(like 40). I'm putting an end to this. I definitely don't understand laws and i admit that. Did not know they could garnish your SSDI but i know now. They can take your social security by law somehow. I know the amount is not a lot to a lot of people but it is to me. The SSDI seemed like the most reliable and consistent thing in these last few years. So i thought i had a cushion to sit on every month. But they poked a whole in that cushion with a needle so fast. Man i was so naive to the social security was always guarded idea. They kind of brainwash you with this idea too. 'Oh yea they can't take your SS or SSDI its always guarded. Utter bs. Utter bs. Somehow they have the power to clear out the SSDI account or your social security. Its not off limits. Its really not. This is not a joke. I wish it was. I got to take some banktrupcy class that is required as well. I'll do that tomorrow i filled out a lot of this banktrupcy packet. Man its mind draining to read all this. Do i have to itemize a toothbrush? Hell i don't know.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 12:51PM

Hide it in a hollow Book of Mormon.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 03:05PM

Great idea. Nobody would ever take a Book of Mormon.

Date: January 08, 2020 05:38PM

Maybe there or in a bible. Its safer with me right now and that is sad to say that money is safer with me then with a bank. Imagine if i was a lawyer and i took my neighbors SSI money and he had nothing to eat his next meal with. That's f#cked. The banktrupcy papers are taking a while but i will get everything done.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 12:56PM

Call in, set up a payment plan that you can make the payments. Don't have any withholding in excess of what you owe, including state withholding.

Date: January 08, 2020 05:42PM

Not IRS i'm ok with those guys. This is just greedy lawyer in utah taking SSDI money from my SSDI account. You know the normal cult thing where they just take your money and leave you with nothing. Same mentallity. I thought they were just going to garnish like 25% of my wages like i was told would happen.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 01:04PM

It's awfully hard to pay your bills with cash. But wishing you luck with it!

Date: January 08, 2020 01:27PM

I'm filing chapter 7 banktrupcy and the lawyer said the bank should have known not to give the disability like the sheriff said and it was bullshit. But the bank gave away the disability money like it was no problem. I was willing to pay garnished wages but now all they garnished will come back to me because it was disability and now they get F#cking zero after i file. F#cking zero. Its easy as hell to pay bills with cash besides one of mine but i'll figure that one out. Food? Cash. rent and utilities? Cash. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle. Easy peasy. But i am starting a war in the form of the banktrupcy. They could have had thousands from garnishing my wages but since they pulled this stunt and left me with no dinner money they will get zero. The law firm in utah probably led by a cult member will get zero from me now. Now i got a lawfirm that will clear thousands in once i file.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 03:47PM

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with bankruptcy, and I can understand your sense of frustration. If you feel that the bank did not follow the law, I would go in and ask to speak with a bank officer about it.

I wouldn't let this sour you on banks altogether. I've been dealing with various banks for more than 50 years now, and I can think of only a handful of small errors that they have collectively made over the years. I think that most banks want to do the right thing. I would definitely try to get your problem straightened out with your own bank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 03:50PM by summer.

Date: January 08, 2020 06:09PM

I'm way too mad to talk to anyone at that bank. They lied to me. I was born in a cult so i do not do well with being lied to especially when it deals with money. I need to cool down. Both the sheriff and the banktrupcy lawyer said that what happened should not have happened. The banks should have known to protect the SSDI disability funds. I was left with no money for even food on monday night. Why was i not garnished 25 percent like i was told would happen. Garnish my wages they said would happen. Not clean out my bank accounts that had mostly SSDI with a 3 hour notice leaving me with no dinner money. It rattled me the power they had to just remove SSDI money or even SS money straight from the bank at-will with a 3 hour warning. I got the garnishment letter of bank accounts in the mail when i was expecting garnishment of wages. 3 hours later my accounts were cleaned out totally. And my SSDI account was put in the negative. No money is safe in the bank from garnishments. None.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 03:29PM

All you can do is diversify. Not all banks are created equal. The big banks like Chase, Bank of America and Wells Fargo will screw you. Best to avoid those.

I like small regional banks and credit unions. Some are well ran. All these banks and credit unions are just extensions of the Federal Reserve Bank. All their accounts are insured up to $250,000.

I don't put all my eggs in one basket. I use multiple banks and investments. The bottom line is nothing is 100% safe. There are problems with fiat currency. The US Dollar is still the best one to own even as screwed up as the US is. Gold and Silver go up in a panic but later fall just like everything else does.

All you can do is diversify. Keep a little here and there and have it in different forms. If we really hit the skids, little bottles of liquor and cigarettes will be worth a lot. A friend of mine said toilet paper was highly sought after during the Bosnian war. The more society hits the skids the more anything that alleviates stress or is a necessity skyrockets. Toilet paper, tampons and booze become more important when you just can't go to the store and buy them.

Date: January 08, 2020 06:19PM

I drank the most alcohol i had ever drunk last night and it did help and i never drink. Holy hell i vented a lot. From cult indocrination to god betraying me when a cult leader was choking me in front of a church when i was 13 to my mother smashing plates over my head and so now god is screwing me over once again with the bank giving away my SSDI money without a second thought. To all the mormon girls that didn't want me because of the no mission. I did make out with a woman last night and that helped a ton last night also haha. And god bless her. I needed someone physically yesterday thats for sure. I was rattled and shocked that they even were allowed to take the social security money. So lawyers literally have the right i learned to clean out your Social security money on the spot and at-will. So anyone that depends on SS money is screwed if they fall way behind on medical bills as i did.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 03:41PM

Hokay - keep following your lawyer's advice, and ignore any investment advice given here, despite how well-intentioned.

If you had money to tie up in investments, you wouldn't be going through this nightmare.

Get this bankruptcy business and food taken care of before thinking about tying up your limited funds. Find your local food bank so you don't starve until your next check.

Also check to see if you are allowed to stop SSDI EFT - I think there's a mandate to have direct deposit with very few exceptions, so you might be forced to use a bank or credit union.

Hang in there, kiddo.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 06:10PM

Beth is right. At least, that was the case when I retired from SSA, 17.5 years ago. Because there was such rampant theft of paper checks, they made direct deposit a requirement.

You might try one of those banks like USAA, which doesn't really exist (as in, you can't just walk in to your local branch) - my DH insisted on using this for our retirement checks.You deal with them either by phone, or put their app on your phone. Personally, I don't care for a bank that you can't just walk into, but I must admit, USAA has advisors online just about 24/7 and they seem to be nice people.

I know that back in the day, a judge's order could have a certain amount (say, for alimony/child support) taken out of SSDI checks, but I NEVER heard of the whole thing being taken. That is just appalling.

I'm so sorry for this problem.

Date: January 08, 2020 06:44PM

They didn't even care to look that they were taking SSDI money. They saw money to take and they took it all even to the negative where i owed the bank fifty bucks. It was a screwed up affair. God it was so screwed up i could not even describe it. Its a good thing i have experienced this type of feeling for most of my existence with the rug being pulled. It felt like a cult tactic but supposedly outside of the cult. It was nuts. Is society a just a larger cult? Apparently yes. Did not know they could clean out my SSDI after it was direct deposited like that. I thought atleast the SSDI would be guarded. Nope. I got too lax thinking it was guarded always that SSDI.

Date: January 08, 2020 06:28PM

I am doing exactly as the banktrupcy lawyer told me to do and have filled out quite a bit of paperwork already. Thought i could avoid banktrupcy but i can not. I did not know they could take the SSDI money straight from my bank account. It caught me off guard. Really off guard. Really wish SSDI checks came in the mail. Says we can still get back the SSDI money that was taken. I have cashed out my checks so i am ok for now.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 06:36PM

In Logan, I go to the hospital credit union. I don't trust banks either. I've posted about it to you. You CAN pay bills without a bank account. MONEY ORDERS. Does nobody remember money orders. There are places you can pay your bills like here in Logan, Lee's Grocery Store you can pay your utility bills. You can do Western Union to pay bills. You can go pay your cell phone bill in cash at the cell phone company. Just keep your receipts or your part of the money order form.

I'm glad you are filing bankruptcy. It will actually give you some peace of mind.

Your experience just made me think I need to keep my money at home, too. There are SO MANY PLACES to hide money that people will never think of. I am less afraid of a burglar than a bank.

Date: January 08, 2020 09:32PM

I will have to get my SSDI deposited to a different bank if it HAS to be direct deposited. Burglars don't scare me at all compared to a bank. At least you can fight back a burglar physically and fight the injustice happening as it happens. A bank just smiles at you knowing you can't do sh#t to them. I told them i shouldn't owe them that fifty bucks on my SSDI account because they told me that they did not receive any notice and within an hour i was completely broke of them telling me this to my face. They took out MORE than the money that was in the account. MORE than just the available SSDI. Both sheriff and banktrupcy told me this was f#cked up and the bank should not have allowed the SSDI to be taken. I'm going to get peace of mind after i get all these legal theifs off my back. I was perfectly fine with getting garnished 25 percent of my delivery wages but NOPE they went straight for the jugular and took right from my SSDI account. A few days after it was direct deposited too. With bank statements i can prove this pretty easy and give the banktrupcy lawyer all that he requires. You don't go after someones disability with just a few hours notice. Sheriff said it would be guarded and the bank should know not to touch it but they took it all. Those damn lawyers and bankers holy hell. That was cult tactics 101 right there. Straight up stole disability. No heart no soul. If i wasn't so used to this behavior around me constantly i would say i was surprised but i am not surprised that SSDI was not protected in any shape or form.a little rattled for a couple days but not surprised. I hope i can money order a certain bill and then i will be good. Everything else i know how to pay cash as far as bills go and banktrupcy will clear a TON and it has been a long time coming. I thought garnishing my wages of 25 percent or something would be cheaper than getting a banktrupcy lawyer but NOW a banktrupcy lawyer is way cheaper. Clearing out an SSDI account to -50? You bet your butt a banktrupcy lawyer is the better deal. I had no clue they could just grab all your money at will with hours notice no matter what type of money it is. They can grab anything in your bank. Not sure if they could take money out of a cd but it would not surprise me it all if the bank allowed money to be taken from a cd. Thats insane power. Insane power. I didn't even know they could clear your SSDI account to less than zero to payoff as much of the debt as they possibly could. You owe 10 thousand? Say goodbye to thousands in your bank to pay off that debt. I just don't know the laws but they seem pretty insane and unjust and inhuman to me. Thank god i have no family and can survive on not much. After the banktrupcy is filed i will get that money back and hopefully the money sharks(probably cultists) will be done with and my mind can finally be at peace with all this financial stuff so i can live somewhat of an ordinary life.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 07:57PM

my only advice is that I keep very little in the bank. Less than 1000 if possible. But move money to stocks, but they can be garnished as well if it's not an IRA as I understand. So I don't know what's best. Someone earlier said setting your money into a trust account is good. Real Estate is probably the safest investment. Land is the most important wealth. It's why America is rich.

"Land is the only thing worth living for, worth dying for because it's the only thing that lasts" Gone with the Wind.

Date: January 08, 2020 08:19PM

Okay. The point here is that Warrior is having some serious money issues, he's declaring bankruptcy, and yes, he will need an account with a credit union or bank.

If you (the Universal You) don't have much $, why pay for a money order or Western Union? It's a waste of time and *more* money. The time spent running about paying bills in cash or buying money orders or freaking stamps is worth money. If you were to count the time spent cashing paychecks, gathering your paper money and dropping money here and there, you'd likely find you're *losing* money because time *is* money.

Suppose you lose your receipt for rent that you paid in cash, and you need to produce it for some reason like your landlord takes you to court for non-payment? Then what? Ugh.

If you don't have much money, why would you even *think* about investing it?

I'm really proud that some of you have gold bullion tucked in your underpants, but c'mon! This isn't about *you* and where you've hidden your booty; it's about *Warrior* finding something to eat.

Date: January 08, 2020 10:10PM

This banktrupcy packet is freaking huge. I have to write down all my possesions and their worth. I don't really have many possessions really. I hope they can not take my bed. I bought a lot of groceries in cash haha. I never bought a ton of groceries in cash like that but i am pretty stocked up until this paperwork is done. My friend is helping me out so i think i am ok. She kind of knows more about this stuff than i do. Unless you want to help me read through like 40 pages of banktrupcy papers i think i'll be alright. Was just caught a little off guard but this is good i have to file for banktrupcy now. Now it is a have to. Thought about doing it many times in the past but now it is a have to because i did not know they could drain my bank accounts at will and on command within hours of getting the letter. They moved quick like a theif in the night. Its a reality check, i guess i need to grow up a lot faster and learn all these ruthless laws of society i had no clue about. In the cult they never let you learn the laws of the outside world or that you could even use them as an option like turning adults in for child abuse. I didn't know i had that right as a kid to turn child abusers around me in. They intimidated me big time and i knew no laws of society. None besides speed limit and stuff like that. Authority is being alllowed to screw me again but in a different form and i know i am not the only one that feels at their mercy and almost expects to get screwed. The jesus said i have the power to screw you over adam tactic does not work as well against me as it used to. The banktrupcy lawyer seems good. I talked with him a few times over the years as i had entertained banktrupcy. I'm fighting back. I hope this lawyer in utah is mormon because i am fighting back and he will get zero and i will get the garnished money back because it was SSDI. I was willing to pay it all but they pulled a bs tactic and went for the SSDI check. They took the disability money without a second thought. Not a second thought from the bankers. The sheriff is ok because they knew the SSDI money should not have been touched. The banktrupcy lawyer knew the SSDI should not have been touched. The bankers did not give a F#ck. Sorry about my language. Their as cold and careless as a cult leader. They don't give a d#mn that they took all the SSDI money. They don't give a damn about anybody behind those fake smiles. I don't care who cuts me down. They can steal your money too if you have it in the bank. Its laughable now that i even trusted my disability to be safe there. I was such an idiot. Such an idiot. I've been called an idiot before and it was true i was very much so and is still true for trusting my disability money to be safe in a bank. I'm laughing at myself i got conned again. First religion and then the bank, its actually a credit union which people say is safer. Thats a joke. They are both terrible. Within HOURS of getting a notice all my disability money was gone. Just going to finish filling out this paperwork because thats what we adults do. We fight paper with paper because we don't know any laws. So you have to fight lawyer against lawyer i guess who knows all the very nasty laws. Very nasty laws that can wipe your bank accounts clean and the banks have to comply. I need to quit typing i got a lot of itemizing of my possesions to do.

Date: January 08, 2020 10:43PM

The thing that kills me is that you receive SSDI - it is hard to qualify for that. You know the fight.

So you're on SSDI, and you have medical bills which totally makes sense because YOU'RE ON SSDI! I hate that firm.

So look. There is probably a credit union you can join. The thing about credit unions is that the people who deposit their money there own the bank. It's a union of people getting together to pool their money for their common good.

Like regular banks, the money you deposit is used to lend money to other members, but usually the loans are at a lower percentage rate, and usually you get a dividend which is a higher interest rate on the money you deposit there.

Unless you were in the military or are a qualifying family member, USAA is out of the question for you. It's not a super big deal - I'm in USAA, and it's fine.

So, do the bankruptcy thing. Once that's said and done (and they won't take your bed), you can slowly build your your credit. I'm *not* talking about getting credit cards. Predatory lenders like Capital One will send you a preapproved credit card with a psychotically high annual percentage rate as soon as your debt is discharged in bankruptcy. Stay far, far away from them.

There are ways to slowly build your credit score - it will take a while. There are non-profit lending circles that report positive transactions to the evil credit bureaus. Another cool thing about lending circles is that you can sometimes borrow money without interest. Once you've completed your bankruptcy proceedings, look into MAF - a non-profit lending circle. https://missionassetfund.org/lending-circles/

As far as the 40 pages of documents goes, take it slowly. I'm assuming you were given copies and not originals that need to be submitted to bankruptcy court. Check with your lawyer.

Make notes on the pages for anything and everything that you don't understand. The most important part of a lawyer's job is to explain what the heck is going on. Ask questions. Plenty of them.

Read five pages or so. Take a break. Read some more, and you'll be through it in no time.

When I look around my place, I see all this stuff I need to do (mainly revolving around cleaning - blech), and I feel overwhelmed and eventually the stack of papers becomes one with my surroundings and I don't see it anymore. That's no good. The thing is that just doing one thing takes less time than I think it will and definitely much less time than I spent beating myself up about not doing it. And then, Ta-da! I get a feeling of accomplishment that deserves a beer.

So, yeah. I get it. Forty pages of "WFT is all this?!?" is daunting. But little by little, you'll get it done.

Gonna be alright, kiddo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 10:45PM by Beth.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 10:46PM

This is right.

You can't withdraw from the economy or the financial system. Go through the process, get on your feet, and start building your credit again. You'll need that as you continue to improve your life.

Date: January 09, 2020 02:07AM

I'm filling out a part then taking a break. Reading a few more pages taking a break. Venting on here that they actually went for the SSDI again and taking a break. The money EVERYONE said no one could touch. The money EVERYONE told me that they could not f#ck with. Well they took all i had in that account. And one of the things i need to get cleared with the banktrupcy is a capital one card, sorry i know i am learning how they get u but i used for a medical expense. Sorry. I was trying to fix a lot of painful stuff including chronic nerve pain and PTSD craziness and get as far away toxic people and operations as i could so i could get my head screwed on a little straighter and think for myself a little more and not have religious people around me 24/7 because they hurt me and they do not want the best for me. So i got to be a man and fill out these banktrupcy papers. Not jesus fill it out, not cult leader fill it out, not parents fill it out. Me fill it out with my birth name. Unchanged. It will be my name on the paperwork and my signature. No joint name or nothing. This is big because they did not care who i was. None of them did. Not the cult or (pretend religion that messes with your head constantly or whatever you want to call that nightmare). That gives you post trauma after-effects even down to your dreams. I have cult trauma dreams without me even wanting it. I've been resigned almost two years now and i still have cult abuse after-effects messing with me. I am one of the brainwashed children that the brainwashing did not take with. It didn't take and i had to endure the hell knowing it was bs all around me throughout most of my life. Fighting it constantly. Trying to drown out the memories for a lot of my adult life. Car accident injuries? 'oh well guess i deserved this pain' Child abuse? 'oh well guess i have to keep it a secret or be homeless at 13'. Cult indoctrination since birth but knowing something was wrong the whole time?' Oh well guess the family has to label me crazy until i believe i am nuts for not complying with the operation. 'no mission?' No one will ever date you for the rest of your life if you stay around mormon girls. Sorry i'm going off a tangent. It was just bs from the start. From the very start. Even before this SSDI money grab its been a bs climbing out of quicksand full of snakes. I need to plant a garden for real and grow my own food after this banktrupcy thing is done. My friend said she will teach me how to cook. I was never allowed to learn how to cook. Cooking believe it or not is a total control tactic of a narcissistic. Never letting or teaching the kid cooking skills. My father always had to cook for his control. You control the cooking you control the kid and make the kid dependant in that arena. I really didn't have a father. Not the real one that plays catch with you. Never played catch once with my father in my entire life. Chose the side of the church leader and so did my mother and did not care to hear my side of the story. So i basically said screw it shortly after the physical assault from the church leader. I stopped caring. I buried my real self and i stopped caring about anything from that point forward. Thats when the self-hate began truly and not caring for me. I became an orphan with parents still in the house. I stay silent then they think it is all good. I say the truth and say child abuse went down then i was not sure what would have happened back then. My mom definitely should have served 5 years i was told by a detective but the emotional abuse from my father that was so much harder to prove was where the real damage happened. I was around a real narcissistic father for most of my life. People would have thought i was nuts if i said i felt i was being controlled and abused by just being around my father. Like he was using mind control tactics on me that he copied from religion or something. I had gotten very weakened psychological and emotionally from being around certain people for most of my life and in certain institutions against my will putting ideas into my head that were not mine to begin. 'get married in the temple?' Why? I don't want to be involved with what goes on in there. The book is plagiarized like what i did in high school english class so why are we doing all these rituals constantly if the book is plagiarized. Thats why i have to fill out this banktrupcy paperwork. Me, Adam will put me Adam on the paperwork. We will make me Adam be Adam again in this life. No other made-up religious titles to make me more important than i really am just Adam. I will not profit off of brainwashed children. I just won't. Get as far away as possible and fill out this paperwork and never look back. I know the repercussions of their actions. I do. The indoctrination is in my head and they still could not get me to buy it. They are using professional and proven mind control tactics on kids. I got help. Its not me, one, against a million like it used to feel. We needed a god to get us the hell out of that operation. But he didn't and he couldn't so i got to do it. Fill out this paperwork with my name and no co-signor and never look back. Because i am a grown man because that is what i see in the mirror. They couldn't beat me when i was a kid and they won't beat me now.

Date: January 08, 2020 10:45PM

I am seriously shaking my head and laughing at myself thinking that i trusted a bank would safe-guard my SSDI disability fund. God damn i trusted my money to the sharks and they ate it all. I was so naive to think my money would be safer in a bank than with myself. LESSON Learned. Only morons do not have a lot of cash on hand as a back up from this kind of thing. I was such a moron for trusting a bank over myself. Such a moron. Oh yea the government safeguards your money in the bank for this kind of fiasco. Yea right thats a laugh. I just said government safeguards your Social security. I sounded like a total idiot in that one sentence. Like saying God safeguards a cults money and your money actually goes to help the poor and the hungry yea right. That was a laugh too. Its all the same monster. Same type of people sucking you dry.

Date: January 08, 2020 10:49PM

I don't know why the bank gave it to them. It shouldn't have, but rather than swear off banks, direct your ire to that collection agency that will never get another dime of your money.

Date: January 09, 2020 03:12AM

I am mad because the bank should have already known according to the sheriff not to go after the SSDI account. The banktrupcy lawyer told me the exact same thing. The bank is in the fault too and i am pissed. They cleaned out the account that EVERY ONE on the planet said they could not touch or clean out and they left me hanging. Thats what pissed me off the most was being left hanging. It really irked me the wrong way. It really did. Garnish 25 percent of my bank account or wage fine ok. But clean me out into the negative in the SSDI account? It really irked me bad. Really really bad. They went for the SSDI money. One of the guilty parties IS the bank. According to the banktrupcy lawyer and the county sheriff. The bank knows they cannot clean out the SSDI account. According to a professional banktrupcy lawyer and the sheriff. The bank knows this or should know this. I should have been a lawyer. You can take people's disability money legally. Now i know. I know what they can do. Not a lot of people do if they never get their SSDI bank account wiped clean. I learned the hard way. I didn't think they could touch the SSDI money like everyone was telling me. I did not know they could clean house on my SSDI account. I learned the hard way. A lawyer can legally clean out your social security in any form disability or not from that bank account that is designated for the disability or social security. It happened. So if you get social security and your about to be garnished. That account is allowed to be taken. They will not take some percentage of the money in the account. They can clean you out. It happened. And the bank is not supposed to let them garnish the social security account according to the sheriff and the banktrupcy lawyer and they did. The bank is one of the guilty. They were supposed to block the taking of the SSDI account. They didn't, lesson learned. A Hard lesson but lesson learned. Damn thats insane power. Garnishing the disability account to negative fifty. I thought they were going to garnish my delivery wages like a sane human or just keep it like at 25 percent maximum of stripping the bank account. So the person is not completely cleaned out. Nope i got cleaned out. Totally f#cked all at once. I got to get back to itemizing my possesions and pricing them. Just venting i'll be ok. Just a jolt because SSDI check was taken. SSDI landed in the account on the 3rd and the SSDI money was garnished on the 6th. I think they grab all that they possibly can in one swoop to cover the debt. This is what i had gathered from what had happened. They saw what was in there and took it all. Then a legal transaction fee that put me -50 on top of it. They put me to -50 in the SSDI account. This is no lie. 3 days after the check was deposited. When it was all said and done i was taken down to -50. I think that -50 was a cut for the bank. The bank took a $50 cut after i was cleaned out completely by the lawyer. It was a shady affair. To be able to clean out someone's bank account in one swoop and then the bank does not stop the cleanout of the SSDI and takes their own cut processing it? Thats a shady affair all around. I'm still pissed but i am fighting back with banktrupcy lawyer so things will be more than fine. I will see him tomorrow cause i have some questions of what i need to do for certain things on the paperwork. I don't think many people know their SSDI and social security can be garnished totally from the bank in one court order swoop. Dang. Thats crazy power. At least i personally know what a lawyer and bank can do against you in one hit. They did not get away with it like they thought they would thats for sure. I'm halfway done with this packet probably. I'm not getting garnished in one swoop like that again. Hell no. You garnished my disability? Thats a problem. You garnished someone else's disability thats a really really big problem. I can actually keep going and take this hit. Other people in wheelchairs and gas tanks attached to them can not take a hit like this or even a parent with kids. I'd be totally screwed if i was disabled with a family. Totally screwed.

Date: January 09, 2020 12:39PM

Okay. My final thoughts:

1. Not all banks are the same. Credit unions tend to be much better than banks. Just because this shit bank screwed you doesn't mean you'll be screwed by all financial institutions for life.

2. A lawyer for the collection agency fucked you, and a lawyer is getting you out of the fix. Not all lawyers are bad. Many do good.

3. Yes, vent and rant away. I hope that once the stress and craziness of this nightmare is over, you'll be able to look back at the situation with clearer eyes.

4. Review your medical coverage with SSDI. If you fall into the two year waiting period for Medicare, see if you can get a waiver and receive it right away. Medical bills were the root of this problem you're taking care of. If you don't have medical insurance yet, try to get it ASAP.

https://www.healthcare.gov/people-with-disabilities/ssdi-and-medicare/

5. You will be fine.

Date: January 15, 2020 10:45AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 11:05AM by cl2.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 10:19PM

Exactly how much money are we talking here that they took?

This doesn't happen without multiple advance warnings such as letters and processes being served on you which should've given you plenty of warning.

Personally I'd go to the collection agent's offices (Johnson or whoever they are) and read them the riot act and just generally make a pest of yourself until they acknowledge their wrongdoing.

Date: January 08, 2020 11:12PM

It was about a tenth of what i owed them. Like 857 or something so the whole SSDI check and then some was gone in an instant. They said they were going to garnish but they never said bank account garnish and they don't tell you that until the day it is happening. On purpose. But they did not know they took the money right after the SSDI was deposited. They made a huge mistake apparently according to the sheriff and the banktrupcy lawyer and took from the SSDI account. And i mean they took it all. I'm sitting on cashed out paychecks right now because i don't trust banks and neither should anybody in my opinion. I feel like a damn fool.. .again. Trusting banks, i sound like an idiot just saying that. They will grab the social security money. Let me repeat they will grab even the social security money. Whether its regular social security or disability. If you can't pay all the collections they will grab the social security money. Nothing is off limits the tellers at the bank told me. God damn. If you are about to be garnished and they go straight to your bank accounts instead of your wages. You are screwed. I lived it. I know what they can do if they chose not to garnish your wages. They will go straight to even the SSDI account. The account that i thought and they made me believe that NO ONE could touch. No One can touch your social security. That is utter bs. Absolute bs. I lived it. They can garnish your social security. Absolutely. You can see it on my account history online. They went for the disability account and even took more than what was there.

Date: January 09, 2020 07:51PM

the minute the money hit the bank, BUT they may have been watching.

I'm paranoid. Sure paranoia is a dangerous slave and a terrible master, but I've lived the things Warrior is living through. You can try to not let it get to you, but it does. IF you have control of your money (not the bank), you can get control of the paranoia.

Go somewhere like Walmart to cash your checks. I think it costs $3. My son goes there to cash his. He doesn't have a bank account. There are ways to manage your money without banks unless you have to have direct deposit, but I'd put my direct deposit into a CU and I'd clean the account out the morning it hits your account.

When your life is like this, as I've been there and have been going through life situations right now that make me scattered mentally, I have to be really careful what I do with money, you are going through something called "full catastrophe living." I remember having to show my brother how to use a money order after his wife left him. He knew how to use one, but he was such a mess mentally, he couldn't remember. There is a book about full catastrophe living that my therapist had me read.

I live with paranoia because of my past, my PTSD. If you've been f'd by a bank even once, you never get over it. To have them come in and take all your money like they just did is traumatic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 07:53PM by cl2.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 03:54AM

Paranoia is a dangerous slave and a terrible master.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 08:33AM

Wise words.

Date: January 09, 2020 03:43PM

Ok here is what went down. I am looking at the aftermath paperwork. The lawyer that was garnishing me saw what was in my SSDI account in its entirety. Was able to clean me out in its entirety. The bank should have known this was an SSDI account and it should not have been cleaned out or touched even. The sheriff is not the guilty party because they assume the bank knows not to garnish the social security account. So according to my banktrupcy lawyer what the bank did was totally illegal. I showed my banktrupcy lawyer the aftermath paperwork of the garnishing of the SSDI account. I have the proof. It ain't paranoia. Lawyers can clean you out totally with a bank garnishment and the bank allowed them to clean out the SSDI account in its entirety after the deposit landed a few days before. Sheriff is innnocent in this. They have no stake in it. But the bank is guilty for clearing out an SSDI account in its entirety for a garnishment. Totally illegal from what my banktrupcy lawyer says. And banks pull this crap off all the time when they said nothing is off limits even a social security account.

Date: January 09, 2020 05:11PM

Warrior! Go talk to a bank officer. If they took your money illegally, they need to be made aware of it. I know that you are upset, but complaining gets you nowhere. Action is what is needed.

Some thoughts -- Check your local government agencies to see if there are disability advocates. It's also possible that one of your representatives or senators could help you (federal or state level.) Finally, are you Medicare eligible?

Whatever happens, keep your chin up. Most of us have also been in terribly tight spots at one point or another. We do get it.

Date: January 10, 2020 12:16AM

I am taking action. Just got done completing a required online pre-banktrupcy course to get the banktrupcy rolling. I told the tellers at the bank that what they did was illegal twice and they did not give a damn, they still wanted to charge me for faxing my history of the account to my lawyer for what went down and other things for what my lawyer needs to look at. They wanted MORE money for doing something that i told them was illegal twice. They told me completely that SSI and SSDI was free game before and after the illegal garnishment of an SSDI check. And the bank took a 50 dollar cut out of the deal after the illegal garnishment and made me pay it after i told them it was illlegal from my banktrupcy lawyer and the sheriff office. The paralegal told me my banktrupcy lawyer is the best in idaho and people seek him it out for their banktrupcy and i believe it because i have been entertaining banktrupcy for a while and just my few interactions with the guy i can tell he is good. Very good. This garnishment of my entire SSDI funds pushed me over the edge. They cleared me to zero in an instant. This lawyer will file with no money down but i will probably pay money down. The SSDI checking account that was garnished will go straight to the banktrupcy lawyer. And the utah lawyer will get ZERO out of almost ten grand owed. Which is what he deserves for going after an SSDI fund entirely like he did. F#ck that guy and guys like him. Garnish 25 percent of my wages like a sane human being. Dont clear out my SSDI account entirely like a monster. The bank just gave it away like candy. Anyone that has social security and is about to get garnished by a lawyer is literally screwed, so screwed. Social security is not protected AT ALL in your bank. Cash it out the day you it lands in your bank as fast as possible. Hard lesson learned. I am too mad to talk to a bank advisor of any kind. They probably did the garnishment illegally. I got a copy of the transaction today from the sheriff. The sheriff is innocent in all this as i read the paperwork. The bank is guilty as hell in all this. They act like they garnish people's SSDI and SSI accounts all the time. Told me its all free game twice. I'm done complaining. The banktrupcy lawyer does this everyday. So i am letting him finish this battle. This is how adults make war. Lawyer against lawyer. I definitely need the best lawyer for this and i got one. The bank just smiled in my face and did not give a rats ass that my SSDI was cleared out entirely. Like two theifs working together. The lawyer got a cut and the bank got a cut of the illegal action. Sheriff and my lawyer told me they should not have touched that account AT ALL. I worked for cash today. I'm my bank. Screw the bank. Damn greedsters leaving me with no money for a couple days. They started this and my lawyer is going to finish this.

Date: January 10, 2020 05:26AM

A bank teller can not give you any real help any more than a supermarket cashier can. What you need is a *bank officer.* Bank officers are the people that sit behind the desks and in the offices. Or better yet, the *bank manager.* Go back, bring your paperwork, and ask to speak with a bank officer. Don't get in the line for the tellers! You want one of the people at the desks.

Date: January 14, 2020 05:55PM

Well i think i have to file banktrupcy anyways i'm about done with my paper work. I am in over my head. I fell behind and i could never catch up. I think i would have to work every day for like a hundered years to catch up. If talking to the bank officer could get my money back quickly it may be worth a shot though. Right now the disability money is being held by the sheriff as a middle man nuetral party because i refuted it. I have a court hearing on the 22nd. I have the proof but would a bank officer really care? Can a bank give back the illegal garnishment on the spot? Might be worth a shot. But if lawyers can clean out disability accounts along with other accounts i have to file banktrupcy. I can't take the risk. That's too much power against me.

Date: January 14, 2020 06:02PM

It's worth a try, Adam. There's no downside to explaining to the bank manager what happened and telling him/her that you are going to court. They broke the law and they need to fix it.

Date: January 14, 2020 06:40PM

The manager looked it up and it was illegal but said they are not responsible for refund. They have to comply with any garnishment no matter the account and apparently their butt is covered. The only way to get it back is the way i am going about it with a banktrupcy lawyer. I need to file banktrupcy anyways if they can clear my account to zero at every garnishment. This is partly my fault in a way because i do not have the best money skills. No one raised me or taught me these things. So i need to learn better money handling skills and be better with it in the future. The bank manager did say i could possibly countersue the lawyer but i am not sure if this is true. I need to take responsibility and i can't hide forever from my debt.

Date: January 14, 2020 06:47PM

I'm not sure it's worth fighting at this level, but the bank's position is ridiculous. If the garnishment was illegal and the bank did it, the bank is liable. Remember that all big institutions lie about these things.

Again, it's probably not worth your contesting the bank's position. But it sure would be fun.

Date: January 14, 2020 06:33PM

I did what you said summer and they did acknowledge that it was illegal but they are not liable and have to comply with a garnishment no matter what account it is. They are not responsible for any refund for the illegal garnishment basically. They comply with any garnishment when it is received basically whether it is illegal or not. It was illegal though. The banktrupcy lawyer was correct but reguardless it was an unexpected wake up call punch to the gut to have me cleared to a zero balance in an instant.

Date: January 14, 2020 10:18PM

Run what the bank manager said by your lawyer.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 05:39PM

My nephew had a large hospital bill. He went in and told the billing department that he had no job, and there was no way on Earth he could pay it.

They dismissed it all.

If you do that, just make sure you get paperwork stating that your new balance is zero.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 11:53PM

Hey, y'all, I think you are giving the bank a bad rap here. They don't get the pick and choose what court orders they are going to honor. If somebody comes in with a legitimate court order, they have to honor it, just like they would have to honor a check drawn on the account with a legitimate signature on the check. This was not "an SSDI account". It was just a plain old bank account as far as the bank is concerned. They don't know that the money in the account is not subject to being garnished. Somebody comes in with a court order, they comply with it.

If the court was derelict in issuing the court order, then it is the court that needs to straighten things out. If the collection agency got the court order illegally by lying about the source of the funds, then they can be sued, and probably criminally charged. And if the court didn't know the account held SSDI funds, because nobody was at the hearing to inform them that was the case, then that is at least part of the problem.

In any case, it was the court that issued the order, and it would have to be the court that issued a second order to the collection agency to return the money. The bank really is not liable, IMHO.

Date: January 15, 2020 12:06AM

It depends on how the law is written. There are all sorts of accounts and transactions over which the bank is required to exercise due diligence and can be prosecuted, or shut down, for failing to do so.

But you are right that we are assuming something that may be incorrect.

Date: January 15, 2020 12:22AM

So what does the bank do? Defy a court order?

Date: January 15, 2020 12:25AM

If a court were, for whatever reason, to order a bank to accept money from an unknown Columbian or Russian source, the bank would almost certainly refuse. They might also contact the SEC or ask the court for a continuance, but they wouldn't accept the deposit.

For therein lies Deutschebank.

Date: January 15, 2020 01:18AM

DoyCha is still in business making money clean.

Date: January 15, 2020 01:51AM

They have paid a heavy price, actually several heavy prices, for their criminal behavior. And I believe there are a lot more scandals to unfold.

But in any, DB is a poster child for the why banks cannot simply accept deposits from would-be clients.

Date: January 15, 2020 11:04AM

If you can't trust that the money will STAY in your bank account

then it is much CHEAPER to go out and buy money orders, which are what 25 cents at Walmart. There are places to pay utilities in most towns that are the grocery stores and you have to go to grocery stores anyway.

I saved A LOT of money once I took it out of the banks as when you are living "scattered" and you forget things like checking your bank account, you lose money like he just did. When someone else has control of your money, you can lose complete control of your life. I lived it.

I have helped many people through divorce like my younger brother. I helped him avoid going through what I did. I even helped someone who used to post here who is the ex-wife of someone gay. I helped my son and I even helped my daughter's ex-fiance even after they broke up to gain control of his finances by taking his money out of the bank as soon as it lands there.

There are very few banks who don't charge for checking accounts or ATM charges. A CU has free ATMs including every other CU, not just the one you have.

I went without a checking account for YEARS and it is the way I dug myself out of the hole I was in.

I haven't read all of Warrior's lower post, but no, they won't take your bed. They don't take much of anything if ANYTHING at all. I don't know of anyone who has had anything taken. We had 2 cars and they asked us why we needed 2 cars and we said, "To get to work." That was all we had to do. Don't be afraid of the process. I was scared shitless. It took 10 minutes or so to talk to the judge and it was NOTHING. It was easier to do the bankruptcy than dealing with any of the creditors and I even did one of those Consumer Credit Counseling things and the creditors made my life hell. Bankruptcy was so easy compared to anything else I did.

I didn't save all my receipts and I never once had someone come back and ask me if I paid a bill. Now, I would save my receipts, but just get a shoe box and put them in there. No need to file them. Or get a Rubbermaid container that seals so that things don't get loose.

If you've had your bank account robbed like Warrior just did, leaving money in the bank holds you hostage. You can't sleep at night. I didn't sleep for months. I had to be medicated. My boyfriend even goes around and pays his truck payment at the bank and his cell phone payment at the cell phone office. He has plenty of money as he has a great job, but he prefers to go around and pay his bills. I also helped him avoid losing everything going through his divorce.

I have found it is better to pay with cash. It is faster, doesn't hold up the lines. You should see how the cashiers act when you give them cash. Identity theft. Right after I got a checking account again, I got my debit card info stolen at a random gas station out in the middle of Colorado when I was going back to stay at my boyfriend's. I had my whole inheritance in savings in there. I had just received it. By the time I hit my boyfriend's house, the CU had called me to tell me that someone had joined match.com and when that transaction went through, they went overseas. They stopped it then. My husband has had his info taken from his debit card. When we were on a cruise, my boyfriend's credit card info was taken in a FABRIC/QUILTING store in Ketchikan, Alaska. They tried to take $13,000 immediately. I now go in and pay for my gas and then I pump it. Those few extra moments save me untold stress. My daughter had her info stolen when they went to Yellowstone last summer. If they take your checking account money, you're shit out of luck. So I use cash. I also know exactly how much money I have minute by minute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 11:18AM by cl2.

Date: January 15, 2020 02:06PM

Thanks Cl2 i think i am going to do what you do. I can pay cash for rent and utilities. I have only done a money order like once or twice in my life but i will re-read what you wrote on how to do one and see if it makes sense.
You are right though. The middleman(the bank) is not even necessary and DEFINITELY not worth the stress. Last week was like the worst week of my life of being punched in the gut unexpectedly. I got free counsel from a lawyer today that walked in while i was talking to my banktrupcy paralegal. He looked at the names of the lawyers that garnished me "Johnson mark" and said there is a special place in hell for those assholes. They are known among the lawyers. Said they will probably be reading the credit card numbers of parents and the children they starved in hell or something like that. But he told me to show up in court with a bank printout not a home printout to make a strong case with the judge on the 22nd. Got a free consultation from a regular lawyer to help me fight these johnson mark bastards. Can't really afford him to defend me in court though which sucks.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 02:15PM

I think the court, being normal human beings, would want to smack down lawyers who give their profession a bad name. You should help them out. Maybe some good can come from evil visiting your little corner of the world.

Date: January 15, 2020 04:15PM

Warrior, you might want to cash your paychecks at a check-cashing business. The business will charge you a fee to cash your check, but then you don't have to put it through a bank.

Date: January 15, 2020 04:19PM

I have a lingering suspicion of debit cards since they are less secure than checks. I use cash or checks and have never suffered from identity theft (I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.) I only use my credit card selectively.

My credit card company will decline any unusual charges. They once declined a charge because I was somewhat out of my usual orbit (maybe 40-50 miles from home,) so I just wrote a check instead. If I travel, I have to notify the company about the dates ahead of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 04:20PM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.