Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 09:59AM

Cakes...why is it always cakes...

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2020/01/14/kentucky-christian-school-expels-girl-gay-rainbow-cake-mom-says/4418756002/

A Christian school in Louisville expelled a student last week after her family said school officials discovered the girl had celebrated her birthday with a rainbow-themed cake.

Kimberly Alford told The Courier Journal that until Jan. 6, her 15-year-old daughter had been a freshman at Whitefield Academy, a private school at 7711 Fegenbush Lane that serves students in preschool through 12th grade.

That's when Alford said she received an email from Whitefield Academy's head of school, Bruce Jacobson, explaining how her daughter was being expelled "immediately due to a post on social media."

Alford had recently posted a photo on her Facebook page showing her daughter celebrating her birthday in late December at a Texas Roadhouse restaurant. In the photo, the girl is wearing a sweater featuring a rainbow design and sitting by a colorful, rainbow-themed cake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 10:00AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 10:19AM

Funny how the mom didn't seem to have a problem with the school's Christian beliefs and policies as "judgmental" until she and her family are snared by those idiotic policies themselves.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 10:27AM

Exactly. It's all okay until it happens to you. So many are completely devoid of empathy until they need it for themselves.

Nothing like tripping over your own bigotry.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 10:33AM

And "it's all okay until it happens to you."

I lived that. I have to admit I was a bigot until it happened to me. Now I look around and see so many people who have no idea that they have gay family members and you know reality is going to catch up with them.

That is one of the things that has been a real positive for my situation is that my family and friends have gay family members and they are very accepting of those who are gay. My sister's grandson is gay and she made sure she was teaching in the schools he was in in middle school and high school so he had her support. He is well accepted by the whole family.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 12:02PM

didn't god create rainbows?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 12:36PM

Yeah. God created rainbows as a sign that He wouldn't drown everybody again (how thoughtful).

Maybe that kind of Christian isn't happy with that decision so they don't want rainbows around. (j/k)

I'm always amazed at how important symbols become to us.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 11:05PM

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 09:45AM

Then God, too, must be expelled for violating school policy. Who does he think he is anyway?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 01:07PM

Was the student expelled because of the rainbow sweater and rainbow cake?

The message only says "immediately due to a post on social media."

Was this the post that got her expelled or some other post?

Was her Road House post showing her drinking alcohol, that'll get a 15 year old expelled.

To me, many are jumping to conclusions without a hint of any facts.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 04:42PM

> To me, many are jumping
> to conclusions without
> a hint of any facts.

Certainly, your concern that a leap has been made "...without a hint of any facts" is not supported by the event and the article.

We are taking it on faith that the claim that she was a student at the institution is true. We are also taking it on faith that the claim she was expelled is true. After all, there is no story without these two alleged facts.

Next, we are taking it as true that the expulsion was due to a posting made on a social media site under her control. Again, this is necessary in order to reach a point that finally allows the controversy to take place.

See? We have a lot more than "...a hint of facts."

Where the incredulous should become vocally active is on the citation of the rainbow sweater and rainbow cake being the 'posting' that caused the first three 'facts' to be germane.

We truly don't have the data points necessary to be assured it was that particular post. Maybe there's a post on her Tweeter feed that promotes the Nazi Party, or the overthrow of Louisville city council!!

One might assume that ALL her recent social postings have been scrutinized and reasonable minds reached the conclusion that it had to be the Rainbow post that did it. I don't think it's too farfetched to imagine that people were curious about her social postings and that a number of people went through all her posts.

We know her name and so finding her social posts online wouldn't be hard. I'm too lazy to follow up on this in that regard. So I've fallen prey to the syndrome you're preaching against, I'm assuming that the consensus reached by family, as portrayed in the article, is correct.

And there's also the likelihood that if the conclusion reached is incorrect, the school would have straightened everybody out.

You're welcome!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 04:17AM

Maybe you missed the word “Kentucky”.

Posted by: mr beel ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 03:20PM

Yup!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 04:45PM

“A rainbow is a meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets resulting in a spectrum of light appearing in the sky. It takes the form of a multicoloured circular arc.” (Wiki)

“Rainbows normally appear from the rain, but they can happen wherever light is being bent inside of water droplets. Rainbows can be seen in mist, fog, spray, and dew. Rainbows are made up of all seven colors that come from light. These colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.” (Random Net search result)

Rainbow Facts for Kids:

https://www.coolkidfacts.com/rainbow-facts/

Excerpts:

“Rainbows are considered to be one of nature’s most special gifts. They have also inspired many poems, songs, and other types of art. What is it about these gorgeous arches that make us love them so much?"

“Rainbows are formed when light shines through water, like when the sun shines through the rain. This light is bent and reflected, like a reflection in a mirror, and this causes all of the amazing colors that you see."

“Rainbows normally appear from the rain, but they can happen wherever light is being bent inside of water droplets. Rainbows can be seen in mist, fog, spray, and dew."

“Rainbows are made up of all seven colors that come from light. These colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet."

“... what makes rainbows so special is that no two people see the same exact thing. Since it all depends on how the light is being bent and reflected back to you, everyone sees something different."

“Someone who looks like they are standing right underneath it to you will actually be looking at the rainbow and seeing it from far away."

“Rainbows are beautiful sights that most people enjoy and admire. They are made up of amazing colors that inspire poems, art, and songs."

----

Rainbows. What's not to love?

Beautiful symbol. Even descriptions of a rainbow (as above) are lyrical and lovely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 04:57PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 05:29PM

Maybe she likes science and the cake was just the colors of the spectrum....red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet....a convenient way to remember the colors is the name "Roy G Biv"....which I learned while getting a bachelor of SCIENCE degree.

Date: January 15, 2020 05:42PM

Haha - I just figured out your board name when I was looking up the kids' info re rainbows.

Very clever. :)

Then I wondered if you had a hidden message in your name choice but now I see it was a mnemonic you used in your studies.

Interesting. Light dawns every day around here.

Date: January 15, 2020 05:48PM

No hidden message other than the colors of the spectrum :)

So are rainbows evil now? And if the spectrum identifies as a rainbow, does that make it evil? What if a rainbow identifies as the spectrum? So confusing!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 06:06PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What if a rainbow identifies as the spectrum? So
> confusing!

I'm on the spectrum.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 06:07PM

So there you are, Mauve!

Date: January 15, 2020 06:29PM

Mauvalous Dahling!

Date: January 16, 2020 04:02PM

Date: January 15, 2020 05:44PM

Mauve.

What about mauve?

Date: January 15, 2020 05:51PM

"There is no purple light in a rainbow. ... The Violet in ROYGBIV, the mnemonic many people use to remember the colors in a rainbow, is a misnomer, says Henry Reich of Minute Physics in the video above. The reason we say violet is because Isaac Newton said violet, but when Isaac Newton said violet he really meant blue."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiJq7GU2IbnAhX2CjQIHf5PCB4QFjACegQIDRAH&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.smithsonianmag.com%2Fsmart-news%2Frainbows-dont-include-purple-light-so-why-do-they-sometimes-seem-180953190%2F&usg=AOvVaw1O6wzUDRECCQsUsdnWvrwc

So even Isaac Newton made mistakes.

Good to know...

Date: January 15, 2020 05:51PM

>> What about mauve?

Beatrice Arthur died in 2009.

Date: January 15, 2020 06:00PM

If you see them could you pick up my eyeballs, which are rolling down the street?

Date: January 15, 2020 06:20PM

LOL, LW - that is something my cherished English aunt would say!

Date: January 15, 2020 06:21PM

I like her already!

Date: January 15, 2020 06:30PM

I hope I don't step on them and fall, but if I do, you should have seen it coming.

Date: January 15, 2020 06:37PM

So that's what happened to Nightingale's aunt?

Date: January 15, 2020 06:44PM

She's looking at the bottom of my shoe.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 02:13AM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe she likes science and the cake was just the
> colors of the spectrum....red, orange, yellow,
> green, blue, indigo, violet....a convenient way to
> remember the colors is the name "Roy G
> Biv"....which I learned while getting a bachelor
> of SCIENCE degree.

Science has no place within the walls of a religious school. So perhaps you are right, her interest in science is what got her expelled.

Date: January 17, 2020 05:58PM

>> Science has no place within the walls of a religious school. So perhaps you are right, her interest in science is what got her expelled.

I can see her standing up in class and making a statement about the science of rainbow's, followed by the teacher saying "stop being smart with me and get back in your seat!"

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 07:15PM

that cake is from Safeway, I had the same exact one in an ombre shade. I like the rainbow. I wore a lot of rainbows when I was 6 in 1981, so does that make me gay. I'm 44 female and never had a boyfriend. I don't know.. Rainbows I think are god made just like everthing else in nature. I like God, So I guess that makes me a an evil person. NOT. I 'm the nicest person you will ever meet, God never made me evil

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 12:00AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 07:19PM

On a bright note, it sounds like just about any other school she chooses to attend will be an improvement.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 12:35AM

Who'd want to send their kids somewhere that feels they have a right to insert themselves into a persons life away from school?

Posted by: God ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 09:47AM

Sweetheart, enjoy your rainbow cake. As for the divine school administrators, let them eat shit.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 03:07PM

the more things change, the more they stay the same

Posted by: spiritualitysbestdrug801 ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 05:07PM

she got kicked out of private Christian school? this is great! freedom, begins, now stay out and avoid, at least some indoctrination. Plus it's not really an LGBT rainbow anyway, maybe she just loves unicorns and rainbows, or heck maybe the rainbow is God's promise that he will never kill almost all of humanity by drowning again. geez, time to get with the times.Churches wonder why membership is dwindling amongst the younger generation, well derr!

Posted by: spiritualitysbest ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 05:23PM

What if someone has a CoExist shirt? and wears it to the mall or pancake house , oh my OH MY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 05:27PM by spiritualitysbest.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 05:08PM

Pure evil!

Posted by: spiritualitysbest ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 05:21PM

Since when are Texas Steakhouse resturants on school grounds? haha, preposturous

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 05:40PM by spiritualitysbest.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 06:19PM

I guess that part of the Old Testament is ignored at that school, where the rainbow was God's promise not to flood the earth again.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 12:04PM

Back in the news..... family now suing the school for expelling their daughter.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/parents-teen-expelled-christian-school-rainbow-sweater-cake-suing

Date: January 28, 2020 12:22PM

Appropriately.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.