Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 01:14PM

https://youtu.be/jZJqV2-I-8k
About 1:00 into his monologue last night,"Mitt Romney, said, 'I don't need to worship Trump, I'm already in a cult!'
This is how you know you're a guilty President, when a guy who believes in magic underwear, that Jesus lived in Branson, Missouri and you get your own planet when you die, says,'Boy, that was some bullshit!' Mitt is being BANISHED from the Republican party, because he's a traitor, a heretic, he is a suppressive person!'
Nah, that was the other cult."
Ouch

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 02:03PM

Bill Maher is an intellectual like ketchup is a vegetable.

I hate the Mormon church. But I will recognize that what it taught us as little children in primary, even up through early teen years, was in part very important. Do what is right, let the consequences follow.

The problem with the church is two-fold: it is historically and doctrinally fraudulent, and it egregiously violates its own ethical standards. But that does not mean the values taught to children in past decades--I was appalled to see how much more cult-like it had become by the time my children were in primary--were wrong. As counter-intuitive as it may seem, my early Mormon education in morality contributed to my rejection of the church. I believed that the apostles' failure to live up to the primary standards proved that they did not, could not, be God's representatives.

Maher is right that the church is a fraud. He dispenses too quickly, however, with the possibility that Romney reached the end of his ability to accommodate politics in part because of his childhood religious education. There are a lot of religious people in Congress and only one who chose to stand up in this instance.

Date: February 08, 2020 05:21PM

True. I think it took a huge brass set to be the first and ONLY human EVER to vote against his party's leader by calling b.s. on the Emperor, and its ironic as hell because NOBODY loves white authoritarian in power more than super white MORmONS, other than super white Evangelicals.
And MORmONs love nobody more than Mitt. A lot of MORmONs heads are going to explode from the Cog Dos Mitt has caused.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 07:32PM

Que no?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 08:28PM

Doggie treat for you.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 07:57PM

This is funny sh...t.

Values & morals. Do what’s right and let the consequences follow? More cult-like now? When kids are escaping and the truth is printed in essays?

You might want to talk to some folks from the past. Do what we say and say it’s right and let the consequences of being considered to be in a cult follow.

That’s a funny defense of one of the saddest & sickest parts of racist, sexist, non-thinking, fingers in the ears Mormonism I’ve heard. :)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 09, 2020 12:35AM

The irony of it all is that ChurchCo leaders, like everyone else, make decisions;

they 'could have' disclaimed-disowned the lies & self-dealing of the prior leaders.

ChurchCo could have gone straight a long time ago, but that train has left the station, that ship has sailed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 09, 2020 01:19AM

>>As counter-intuitive as it may seem, my early Mormon education in morality contributed to my rejection of the church.

I had the same experience with the Catholic church. My Catholic education in moral behavior eventually led me to reject the church on moral grounds.

As for Romney -- who knows. His decision may have been moral in nature, or simply political. Or (my opinion,) it may have been a blend of the moral and political. The president's choices may not have met his own moral standards, but I'm sure that he carefully weighed his political options before casting his vote. I do think that his vote was very carefully calculated in order to advance his objectives.

Personal morality is an interesting thing, and as macaRomney points out, Romney has made a lot of highly questionable choices over the years.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 08:50AM

Lot's Wife said "There are a lot of religious people in Congress and only one who chose to stand up in this instance"

Yes, but there is only one other ultra-wealthy businessman turned politician who accomplished what Romney wanted to do but couldn't, and who then shamed Romney saying "...he choked". Romney's ego was damaged and he wanted revenge. Like many other mormons, he deceived even himself about his own motives. His tell is to invoke his religion. None of the other members of congress felt the need to invoke their religion. They simply hated the President and did little to mask how they felt. They said it was a solemn decision that was not made lightly and then celebrated with special pens and all smiles at the signing. Romney is too much of a hypocrit to be so transparent. He thinks his religion is an adequate mask for his real reasons. Many reasonable people don't buy that story.

Date: February 11, 2020 12:03PM

Romney "deceived even himself about his own motives."

I'm glad you understand Romney's emotions so much more accurately than he does. This is not the first time you have imposed your own tendentious interpretations on other people, with at least some past instances ending quite badly.

And if you think Pelosi did not invoke her religion, you might do well to go back and listen to her speeches about "praying for the president" and her "Catholic faith."

Date: February 11, 2020 12:24PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad you understand Romney's emotions so much
> more accurately than he does. This is not the
> first time you have imposed your own tendentious
> interpretations on other people, with at least
> some past instances ending quite badly.
>
Ironic, since you're the one who claimed to know my religion and genetic makeup better than me, when I'm looking at my DNA test, which you've never seen and you don't even know me.

Date: February 11, 2020 12:35PM

I don't know your religion at all. You have claimed to be a Muslim, recently you said you are an adherent of of Zen. The truth is that your views on this topic change almost as fast as you repeat your homage to famous people. All I know is when you make false assertions about religions that I happen to have studied in depth.

As for your DNA results, you have published them here many times. Was it a mistake of me to accept what you claimed as true? If so, my error was in taking you seriously.

So I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. Post a single instance in which I have said what your religion is; and post a single example of where I have said anything about your DNA results that you have not previously posted yourself.

Evidence, Kori. Where is your evidence?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 12:40PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: February 11, 2020 03:24PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I don't know your religion at all. You have
> claimed to be a Muslim, recently you said you are
> an adherent of of Zen. The truth is that your
> views on this topic change almost as fast as you
> repeat your homage to famous people. All I know
> is when you make false assertions about religions
> that I happen to have studied in depth.
>
> As for your DNA results, you have published them
> here many times. Was it a mistake of me to accept
> what you claimed as true? If so, my error was in
> taking you seriously.
>
> So I challenge you to put your money where your
> mouth is. Post a single instance in which I have
> said what your religion is; and post a single
> example of where I have said anything about your
> DNA results that you have not previously posted
> yourself.
>
> Evidence, Kori. Where is your evidence?

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2284983,2285506#msg-2285506

Here you claimed I wasn't Asian or Zen Buddhist, as if you knew my DNA test results better than me and my religious affiliation.

That's hilarious.

I was Muslim when I was 18, that was almost 40 years ago. I have not claimed to be Muslim in at least that long.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 03:48PM

>"...and 4% Asian or Native American, they couldn't tell which at the time, but have since informed me that it's mainly Native American."
https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2284449,2284754#msg-2284754

Per your own post, you aren't Asian. A smidgen of Asian DNA based on a highly unreliable DNA test (you know if you send in your DNA again, you'll likely get very different results), does not an Asian make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 04:00PM by Finally Free!.

Date: February 11, 2020 05:02PM

Thanks for that.

It shows that Koriwhore has shared his DNA results with us, which is what I based my statements on, and that he has claimed Native American ancestry instead of Asian. If I recall correctly, he has advanced that claim several times.

Rich, then, that he now interprets that DNA evidence in precisely the opposite way.

Date: February 11, 2020 09:01PM

Finally Free! Wrote:
> >"...and 4% Asian or Native American, they
> couldn't tell which at the time, but have since
> informed me that it's mainly Native American."
> https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2284449
> ,2284754#msg-2284754
>
> Per your own post, you aren't Asian. A smidgen of
> Asian DNA based on a highly unreliable DNA test
> (you know if you send in your DNA again, you'll
> likely get very different results), does not an
> Asian make.
Who made you or LW the authority on how I get 5o identify with which part of my heritage?
I identify with all my heritage, Asian, European, but especially African. I always have, which is why I hitch hiked there and lived there at 18, by myself.
I have always been very familiar with my African roots. I am mostly,African. We all are.
Eurasianz are on average 3% Neanderthal.
Africans are 0.3%.
3/10ths of 1%
That seems like a not much, until you consider we are 99.9% genetically identical
All of us.
Why quibble over 1/10th of 1% ?
We are 98% identical to Chimpanzees and Bonobos.
And they are more closely related to us thAn they are to the other Great Apes.
We are more closely related to them, than they are to apes.
That alone should destroy racism.
But it doesn't because we have Egoes.

Date: February 11, 2020 10:10PM

> Who made you or LW the authority on how I get 5o
> identify with which part of my heritage?

No one made us authorities on your identity. You get to define your ethnicity and your religion as you want.

But then you can't blame us for taking your self-identification seriously. More seriously in fact than you do inasmuch as you say one thing, then another, then still another.

You can say you are Martian if you want. At 0% that is about as accurate as saying you are Asian--or was it Native American?

Date: February 11, 2020 04:57PM

Oh, come on.

---------------
First, you claim that I don't know your race. Assuming I can take your word for it, I actually do. On several occasions you have said that you are a white European.

You have frequently told us that African + Neanderthal = Caucasian, and African + Denisovan = Asian. That was the basis for "race," which you thought was a meaningful concept. You took that argument further, however, and boasted that your Neanderthal DNA explains your European "race." For example, on July 3, 2019, you wrote that we "white people. . . We're Neanderthals."*

Have you forgotten that statement?

----------------
Second, regarding religion, I have never said what your religion is. On this and other websites you have described yourself as many things over the years, including a Muslim, a Dudeist, a Zen Dudeist, a follower of Zen, and of course a worshiper at the shrine of famous scientists. I don't know how to make sense of the inconsistencies in all of that. What I HAVE said is that your understanding of Asian religions is superficial.

When challenged to produce evidence that I mistakenly claim to know your religion, you link to a post in which I said "you do not understand Asian religions." That supports my point, not yours. I repeat: you can call yourself whatever you want but you do not understand Taoism and you do not understand Zen.

----------------
Third, Islam. You now claim that "I was Muslim when I was 18, that was almost 40 years ago. I have not claimed to be Muslim in at least that long." Let's test that assertion; let's see if you have called yourself a Muslim within the last 40 years.

On October 15, 2018 you wrote that "I was Muslim. . . up until 9-11."** If my math is correct, you still considered yourself a Muslim 19 years ago.

Likewise, on January 4, 2017 you wrote that in 2010 you told people in NYC, "I'm Muslim."*** That means you were a Muslim 10 years ago

And on December 17, 2016 you wrote "I am Muslim. . ."**** That means you were a Muslim three years ago.

Which is it? 40 years ago? 19 years ago? 10 years ago? Three years ago? Within the last few years you have claimed all four.

----------------
Kori, I remember what you write. Do you?

*https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2239424,2239424#msg-2239424
"Which is where white people come from. We're Neanderthals. And Asians are Neanderthal/AFrican Hybrids who mated with Denisovans, who were in Asia for longer than Neanderthals were in Europe."

**https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2165953,2166954#msg-2166954

***https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1922562,1923191#msg-1923191

****https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1916468,1916532#msg-1916532

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 05:28PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 09:17PM

Even Polosi, as confused as she is, doesn't use her religion as an excuse for her political positions. Trump accused her of hating him. She said that she doesn't hate anyone and that she prays for him. Whether or not it's true, who knows? But her response invoking her religion came as a response to a personal attack on her character and not in defense of her voting record as Romney did. There may be others like Mitt who have used their religion to buffer criticisms from an unpopular vote as a public official. But Romney is the only one I know of who has done this. If he is not deceiving himself then he is just a liar. Maybe I was too kind to suggest that he was deceiving himself.

Date: February 11, 2020 09:31PM

azsteve Wrote:
> Even Polosi, as confused as she is, doesn't use
> her religion as an excuse for her political
> positions. Trump accused her of hating him. She
> said that she doesn't hate anyone and that she
> prays for him. Whether or not it's true, who
> knows? But her response invoking her religion came
> as a response to a personal attack on her
> character and not in defense of her voting record
> as Romney did. There may be others like Mitt who
> have used their religion to buffer criticisms from
> an unpopular vote as a public official. But Romney
> is the only one I know of who has done this. If he
> is not deceiving himself then he is just a liar.
> Maybe I was too kind to suggest that he was
> deceiving himself.
He has a long track record of being a human weathervane. Bill zmaher calls him the human etchasketch.
Mitty the Flippity Flopper.
His only pricipal is money.
A shot ton of it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 12:29PM

I don't trust Romney for a second. He always does things for his own selfish reasons. He is a typical mormon and he certainly didn't disappoint with his "testimony" he bore.

Posted by: SuperDell ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 03:34PM

Romney is bucking for appointment to the Quorum of Twelve.

All this time he never seemed concerned about "moral choices" when it came to Trump and his hookers or molesting beauty contest women.

Now he claims "morality" - ulterior motive is to appear fit to be a church leader.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 07:41PM

What bothers me is that he invokes god into his decision, trying to tell us that he voted a certain way because of his supposed morals? When I can think of all the crap Romney has done in his life before politics. Umm let me see if I can remember... Oh ya, I do remember:

1) He ran that Bain Capital a croney investment company that bought up businesses restructured and fired everyone, dismembering companies instead of trying to fix them. He's a pirate.
2) He kept most of his money in the Cayman Islands to avoid taxes to the country he supposedly loves so much!
3) He was recorded bragging about running sweat shops in Indonesia, and offshoring american jobs!

If Bill Maher can take down this creep, I welcome that. Romney is a lot of things I could go on and on, but in with gawd... he is not!

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 07:47PM

Romney said the hardest decision he ever made was to adhere to the oath he made to god. Really struggled to do the right thing. Damn, that should be easy.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 08:21PM

Agree totally with this sentiment.

Plus, my thinking is that his cult told him how to vote and he dutifully followed orders.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 08:52PM

I doubt that. Utah's other Senator is Mike Lee. Descendant of John D. Lee. He not only voted to acquit, he's Trump's reelection campaign chief for Utah.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 08:46PM

Now that Mitt made a big deal about keeping his oath to God, people are going to remember and question the oath Mitt took in the Mormon temple. He made an oath to God just as seriously to put his church first.

If he does run for public office outside of Utah, that might be something uncomfortable that would be discussed.

That said, I'm glad he decided his oath in the Senate was one to take to the matt this time. I still wonder if his public tiff with the Orange One over possible selection as Secretary of State might be a motive for pay back.

I especially liked how Mitt reverted into testimony mode when he gave his talk about how he was going to vote. His voice, dramatic pause, and almost to tears emotion felt so Mormon like in testimonkey meeting. Of course the public would not know that is a routine behavior in Mormonism once a month. I do think he actually believes what he said though.

As for Bill Maher, I have to admit he brings up some interesting points and he can be very funny. He definitely has something about his personality that annoys just about everyone. Good for him for not mollycoddling Mitt's cult.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: February 09, 2020 12:01AM

I like Bill Maher. I’ve watched him forever and even when I don’t agree with him, I get where he’s coming from. Also he loves to mock COJCOLDS.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 09, 2020 01:46AM

I also like and respect Bill Maher and he certainly makes me laugh. Sure I don't always agree with his take on things, but mostly I do.

Date: February 11, 2020 08:29PM

celeste Wrote:
> I like Bill Maher. I’ve watched him forever and
> even when I don’t agree with him, I get where
> he’s coming from. Also he loves to mock
> COJCOLDS.
He's hillarious. I agree with him on 90% of what he says.
He's got. By far, the best political program on TV or the internet, IMO, and most of my Progressive friends/family.
He was one of the few to call 2016 LOUD AND CLEAR. (Other than his two friends, Michael Moore and Ann Coulter)
He's calling 2020, if the Left can quit shooting itself in a big circular firing squad.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 01:16PM

When the news wire announced Mitt's position to vote, I posted a thread on here immediately to spark a conversation just like this one. The facilitators on here took it down within a minute.

Whose back do I gotta rub around here to get some love?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 08:57PM

How about ear hair? You need any ear hair?

Date: February 11, 2020 09:03PM

ontheDownLow Wrote:
> When the news wire announced Mitt's position to
> vote, I posted a thread on here immediately to
> spark a conversation just like this one. The
> facilitators on here took it down within a minute.
>
>
> Whose back do I gotta rub around here to get some
> love?

You wouldn't believe how many rubntugs I had to give out around here to not get shut down.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.