Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 09:11AM

I watched the Dateline story last night. My wife, who has never been around Mormons finds it even more bizarre than I do. It was hard to explain to her how it could be possible.

But basically I said that mormon's scripture has stories where a guy kills a fairly innocent guy because God told him to do it for a supposed greater good. So they study killing for God.

Then they are taught that any nice feeling is actually the Holy Ghost talking to them.

I explained more, but that to me is the most mormon part of the whole story.
Being taught that sometimes God wants people to kill for him. Meeting up with a guy who is prone to feeling extra like God is talking to him.
Perhaps getting some warm feelings yourself. Start believing that God wants you to kill for a greater good.

Then people start dying, but it's what God wants. So feel no guilt. Get warm feelings that confirm that you are supposed to do it. For sure no guilt.

It's going to be another chapter in John Krakauer's book sometime.

I tried to explain how as a mormon she could be seeing it. But it's pretty hard to explain to someone that has never been around mormons. Or any religion.

If you missed the Dateline episode, it is on their website.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 09:51AM

Those of us without belief cherish this life - family and friends, music, art, literature, nature, experience, memories - because we know it's finite.

But to the believer, this life loses its importance when compared to the glory of the afterlife. This life is simply a drudge to get through.

Lately, there has been a smattering of social media posts about the death of loved ones as they greet and celebrate with those who went before.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 09:54AM

Those two monsters remind me of the Lafferty Brothers. They said that they killed the mother and baby because they heard God's voice in their head telling them to do it.
The whole Book of Mormon is about killing and murder, beginning with Nephi lopping off Laban's head and stealing his plates and kidnapping Laban's servant, to the very end where a whole civilization gets wiped out by the "Lamanites" because God gets fed up the civilization not being as righteous and delightsome as they should have been.
Then you have the Mountain Meadows Massacre that happened because a group of men were taught in the temple endowment ceremonies, and by Brigham Young himself, that God required vengeance for the deaths of Joseph and Hyrum Smith.
Everything about TSCC is about death and the next life.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 12:35PM

I saw the Dateline story too. That woman is such a narcissist, and you could tell she has been worshipped in her life because of her beauty. To those two walking together, so smug and indifferent - and thinking those beautiful kids that they most likely murdered. Just unbelievable. They will end up in prison for murder. Seeing those missionaries talk about former Elder Daybell. That is the danger of the Mormon church, is that a small percentage will act on righteous murder, which is what the Nephi/Laban story is all about.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 05:42PM

Waiting for evidence to be discovered,

for them to be arrested & charged

for them to be tried & convicted

for them to be punished commensurate with their crimes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 07:21PM

Cuz that's when Jesus comes and the non-believers perish in any one of various ritualistic ways.

Ringside tickets have already sold out...

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 08:26PM

Breaking--Lori Daybell has been arrested in Hawaii today. This was just on KSL news.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 08:58PM

These two are living like they are the center of their own universe, and that there's no tomorrow. I hope the police keep a close watch on them, so they can be punished. They will most likely attempt suicide, like narcissistic cowards do.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 09:02PM

Just heard on the news she was arrested in Hawaii.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 09:04PM

$5 million bail.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 09:14PM

It couldn't happen to a nicer woman.

Posted by: Aaron ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 10:13PM

Mother of the year

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 09:26PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lori-vallow-mother-two-missing-idaho-children-arrested-hawaii-n1140171

Interesting statement:
Rexburg police said they have learned that Vallow either knows the location of Joshua and Tylee or knows what happened to them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 11:53PM

WOW!

I'm guessing that bail amount was set by a NO BS judge!!!

Good Going, Idaho!!!!

Now an Idaho cop (state police or Rexburg?) will be flying to HI to pick her up Unless CONAIR is available.

IDK if the Feds will charge Idaho for that, anyone?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.