Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 02:01PM

To my attention. I am in contact with many different people throughout the day so it makes sense. How serious is this thing if i get it? What are the chances of dying? And if i am infected will it pass or will i be infected forever. I'm being serious. Got a message about washings my hands constantly with 60% alcohol or something. Is this thing really serious? How serious is this thing on a color scale. Yellow-green-orange-red? Yellow being the least serious like a cold or flu and red being the most serious. Should i worry if i get the virus? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 02:15PM

I have similar questions. Not sure what to believe. It's interesting that the 34-year old doctor in Wuhan, the guy that sounded the alarm, died of the virus. He's not an infant, elder-person, and/or assuming non-compromised immune system. In my opinion, the data is still to lacking to make any informed conclusions.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 02:17PM

Perhaps he was extremely tired and stressed, overworked, and too busy to take proper precautions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 02:26PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 02:28PM

Medical personnel are generally at higher risk as they may, obviously, be exposed to people who are seriously ill with the virus. Also, they would be in closer contact with an infected person than the general public is in their daily lives.

Too, it is possible, it is thought, that people may be contagious before they are symptomatic, so perhaps medical staff are exposed in that way (say, by relatives of an affected person who are present at the bedside, for instance).

As well as the virus being spread through coughing and sneezing, I've read that it can potentially spread to medical personnel by coming into contact with a patient's excretions. This, of course, is different than casual contact in the community.

I think there are reasonable explanations for why medical staff are at higher risk than the general public. Basic principles of disease behaviour and prevention explain this adequately.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 02:15PM

The virus is like a slight to very bad cold for most who contract it. Sounds miserable but then the suffer recovers as good as new.

Old people or those with serious health conditions can have serious or even fatal complication.

Hopefully, we can get through this scare without falling apart emotionally because there's no need for that. We've all lived through worse. I recall many crisis situations when people said it was the worst thing in history. We survived again and again and will do so this time as well.

As always wash away germs and take care of your health in the usual ways.

Nothing to fear but fear itself.

Date: March 02, 2020 03:12PM

Well either way i bought some disinfectant things as was recommended to me today.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 11:08PM

Postal workers were given hand sanitizer today.

We're just going to do what we should be doing already (wash those hands, sanitize if no soap and water, sneeze into elbow).

Hope for the best. Be knowledgeable and prepare for the worst.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 11:05PM

Yeah, I'm having a ball.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 02:17PM

The way the situation is now, you don't appear to be in a high risk group. (Means: if you should happen to get it, you will likely not die from it.)

If you want to build up your internal defenses, I very highly recommend this video on You Tube, produced by the Canadian Academy of Sports Nutrition: "How to Boost Your Immune System Against the Corona Virus".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7YefBaeub4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 02:24PM by Tevai.

Date: March 02, 2020 10:01PM

Alright, watched the video thanks. Some of those supplements i am already taking daily so kind of have some supplement support going.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 02:22PM

2% chance of death doesn’t sound so bad after you’ve been through Mormonism.

When washing your hands, leave the soap on for at least 15 seconds. Hand sanitizer also works. It’s just more convenient. You’ll probably get fewer colds even if CoV isn’t a threat. Which could mean the difference between getting it or not if you’re exposed because after a cold your immune system is down.

Theoretically, it could be bad. But remember, TV news is all about ratings so it won’t be as bad as they say. If it is, it will be the first time the clickbait wasn’t crying wolf.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 02:25PM by babyloncansuckit.

Date: March 02, 2020 03:19PM

Well it is one reason why i don't watch television but hell i was notified through my phone through a work email to take precautions so i was curious how bad it is if my work is telling me to take precautions. And i do not even work in the medical field. So from china to my work email it has reached my attention. Probably nothing compared to mormonism but still want to know if i am dealing with a code red type situation because i really don't know.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 04:09PM

Warrior71783 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably nothing compared to mormonism but still want to know
> if I am dealing with a code red type situation because
> i really don't know.

No one knows (except those already identified as being particularly high risk: international travelers, etc.)

Yesterday or the day before there was a news story which said that a U.S. Postal Service worker had been diagnosed with coronavirus. Since authorities are also reporting that the virus can survive up to ten days on paper, cloth, or wood....this is a scary prospect.

What we, as individuals, can do is:

1) avoid places where the virus is particularly easily spread: crowd situations, etc.

2) strengthen our immune systems so, even if we do contact the virus (or it contacts us), our bodies will not act as hosts.

3) stay hydrated. Water (distilled water, spring water, good water out of your home faucet possibly) is your friend. (You will also go to the bathroom more frequently than is your normal. This is GOOD.)

Date: March 02, 2020 10:08PM

No one knows? That is not comforting in the least. It can be transfered by paper? This could spread like wildfire. The best thing to do is strengthen the immune system and survive it. I think i will get it no matter what i do even with precautions. Anyone that touches contaminated cash could get this thing.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 04:45PM

many people and many may be traveling if you have to pick them up at the airport and drive them somewhere (I actually flew out of Pocatello once many years ago). So just be aware. You might end up driving someone who has a cough and runny nose, etc. Everyone is being told to wash their hands. If you ever had worked in a hospital, you'd realize they emphasize hand washing all the time. I typed in medical records years ago and it was talked about ALL THE TIME. A lot of disease is spread in hospitals.

I'm an old lady diabetic and I'm not concerned. It is more likely I could die from the flu rather than the coronavirus.

Date: March 02, 2020 10:13PM

Yea i transport people and food so i come across a lot of different people. The last guy i just dropped off looked like a chinese guy and i could not help to think if he made a visit to china recently and was carrying the virus. I know it is screwed up to think that way but canada and seattle has the infection and that is right at around my state. Its closing in on idaho for sure.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 04:45PM

if you are a smoker or past smoker, if you get covid, it could play a role if you live or die

Date: March 02, 2020 10:14PM

I am a past smoker but quit 8 years ago.

Posted by: an exmo ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 11:48PM

You are much higher risk than average so you would be wise to prepare food/supplies so you can shelter-in-place for 4-6 weeks or longer at home. Also plan ahead on being able to buy groceries/supplies online for home delivery. If you area of the country doesn't end up with any outbreaks then you'll just end up using those food/supplies you bought over the next many months.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 01:02AM

Also remember cardio and double tap.

Date: March 03, 2020 01:18AM

Besides work i am pretty sheltered in. So business as usual. It would be crazy if everyone got the virus and i am like the last man standing because i sheltered in. I'd last about a week. I have no gardening skills to grow vegetables to survive. I'm screwed. Could i become tom hanks in castaway? Maybe. Wiiiilson!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 01:21AM

Now if I can just get all the mentally challenged people I come in contact with to quit coughing directly in my face. Alas, they know not what they do.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 04:19PM

Both presidents (you know which two) will give you a dumb look, but the one with the red phone to gods ear isn't getting a dial tone, so I wouldn't wait for instructions from him.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 08:43PM

"..if i get it? What are the chances of dying?"
Less than SARs and Asian Bird Flu I think.

"...And if i am infected will it pass or will I be infected forever?"
I hadn't heard about always being infected..

"Got a message about washings my hands constantly with 60% alcohol or something."
I'm told alcohol kills it. That's why I am drinking 110 proof whiskey

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.