Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 05:10PM

This is a neighborhood of people from middle age to very elderly. They have created window signs with red on one side, and green on the other. The sign is kept in the window at all times. Green is for everything is fine. Red means help is needed. Someone checks these each day. Also, they all have a list of of numbers to call if needed. It is a wonderful example of what can be done at a grass roots level.

This town has many tough, self sufficient people, some of them well into their nineties. I know several of these "energizer bunnies", as I call them. One woman still drives regularly, and helps those who are 20 years younger. Another is blind, and prefers to live alone, as she likes her independence. She and her husband farmed all their lives. One gets fully dressed everyday, and still makes her own meals. The last one has always joked that she is a doomsday prepper. She is now kicking back with her hobbies while using her stash that she has slowly built up, instead of having to run around frantically at the last minute.

Older people have a lot to teach the world's younger generation about taking care of one's needs through hard work and determination.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 05:20PM

Be the first to post a Rainbow sign!

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 06:57PM

My city has actually encouraged people to display rainbows or other art in some form in their yards or windows for others to find on the neighborhood walks. It's meant as a way to boost morale when we're at home these days.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 10:28PM

For families out on long walks to keep kids entertained (one good thing happening with this more families out walking with each other). We don't have an stuffed animals so I printed a large cartoon picture of a monkey in our window. I was going to put up a BigFoot but I could only find blurry pics online.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 05:43PM

Here in NM, people are putting teddy bears in their front windows, to symbolize cuddles and hugs.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 06:01PM

That is a great idea, Topper.

It will likely give people a sense of some security, that they are not alone, however it may feel to be isolated (the literal experience of the need for 'social-isolation' at this time).

It is also a quick and easy way to help neighbours see who needs assistance.

And emotionally, it is a boost to help folks feel that even though they may be staring at four boring walls, on their own, for what seems like forever, they are not alone but connected.

My area has set up a system whereby volunteers are matched with seniors who are on their own. The volunteers telephone daily for wellness checks and to see if the senior needs assistance of any kind - errands such as picking up groceries and prescriptions - or anything else at all. It matches people in neighbourhoods who can help with those who need the daily check-ins and hopefully helps people to feel less cut off.

I am going to volunteer but first I might just give myself a week to take a breath and enjoy not working for the first time in a very long while. (The health clinic I work with is closed down for the duration).

The broadening of community outreach and support will be one "side effect" of COVID-19 that I trust will linger long after the pandemic is over at last.

Date: March 30, 2020 01:24AM

That's an excellent system your area has set up for Seniors. Thanks for replying, Nightingale.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 06:39PM

Great post. Good idea, Topper !

Date: March 30, 2020 01:25AM

Hopefully, the idea will spread.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 10:59AM

We should always BAND TOGETHER! - Who needs a reason? Not me - the music sounds so much better that (this) way.

As we grow, we don't always know what we are growing into. Same with a neighborhood... A 'LOT' depends on 'neighbors'; geographical location, income/ wealth, (socio-political) climate, philosophy, values, needs, friendship/ community/ neighborhood circles, ENERGY (as you mentioned), etc. I have energy, and spend - and renew - it daily (and nightly)!

They are also older, which makes them "smarter"... they've lived through things, saved, practiced, and are Ready To LIVE (or die-depends)!

Not all older folks are in such "happy", prepared, "fun" times however. Many are lonely, sore, uncomfortable...

I say, THE MORE WE THINK, and DO, for/ with OTHERS, the better.

What do you say?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 08:24PM

Why, you must live in Canada, or some other exotic place.

Date: April 02, 2020 02:34AM

Hardly LOL You'd laugh if you knew.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 08:51PM

Kind of wish someone taught me how to grow my own crops right about now. That thought always comes to mind.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 11:20PM

@Warrior71783:
"Kind of wish someone taught me how to grow my own crops right about now. That thought always comes to mind."

==It's not hard. For example, during March, I take some seeds from a tomato and add them to a bowl of water. They slowly sprout. Once they start forming the first 2 leaves, on the other side, they have the root. I take them out of the water and put them one by one into dirt. Tomatoes grow very slowly. By late september, they will be ready for my sandwiches.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 11:41PM

Slugs though.

They put an end to my gardening endeavours PDQ.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 09:39PM

Did you ever try beer?

Slugs are for the birds! Where are they? lol

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 05:50PM

Wait you start growing your tomatos in a bowl of water before you plant them in the dirt? I never would have thought of that. I would have put the seeds in the dirt first.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 11:05PM

However, if you live alone, and something is sufficiently wrong that you can't get to the window to change green to red...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.