Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 12:21PM

Do you have your hankies ready?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 12:23PM

a tone deaf talk and i expect many talks will be the same.

the church of joe smith lead by nelson

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 12:23PM

anxiously waiting for it. I don't think my daughter and her husband have hankies with them in Fairbanks.

Posted by: Insanitee ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 12:24PM

Having been born in, and eventually leaving, this cult, the only question I have is...

What the hell is a hosanna shout?

Date: April 04, 2020 12:26PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:35PM

I burst out laughing when I saw that...seriously, this is the big whoop-de-do they promised for this conference. Clowns.

Date: April 04, 2020 12:29PM

It’s always done at temple dedications. It will done during tomorrow morning’s session, which will be a (virtual) “solemn assembly.”

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 12:32PM

ballard recounts the so called smith story.

seriously?? a prophet??

he is living in a bubble

Date: April 04, 2020 12:37PM

I wonder how many of the faithful noticed that he said he was drawing from “four primary sources.”

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:51PM

They take that to mean, four different lesson manuals or different conference talks about it. Most of them STILL do not know that there are four VERY DIFFERENT versions that were told by Joseph Smith. And I didn't hear it, but I'll guarantee he didn't add any of the things that totally contradicted the accepted version he came up with 17 years after the fact that is taught now. He probably added a few words from all of them like "and I heard" or "I saw." But those who have heard that there are other versions of the vision can rest assured that they were all compatible because they didn't hear anything they hadn't heard all their lives.

Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:02PM

He did not talk about the 4 different versions. He made them sound like they are the same and I know church members tell me they are the same. They are not.

Ballard seems to have his life energy drained from him. I think he may be feeling like I did when my wife died. I had no answers after being a member all my life. He looked lost and I felt he was lost and just doing this talk as he had to. It took me about 3 years to come to the fact, "we as members of the Church do not have a clue about death and dying." Once I got to that point I could move on and now I just roll my eyes when people talk about families are forever.

So guy prays and jumps into ocean and there are his glasses. Do you know how many times I prayed to have my wife healed from ALS. So I guess glasses are more important than letting a great, beautiful woman die of ALS. Like I said my view of God has changed greatly. I think there is a God but not the one the Church teaches.

Date: April 04, 2020 01:53PM

Serious-fuking-ly??? They're going to do the hanky wave on TV and we don't even need a worthiness interview to get in? Should we all hold up our glasses of wine and drone "Hosannah, Hosannah, to God and the Vine!"

Date: April 04, 2020 02:03PM

Make sure it’s white wine.

Date: April 05, 2020 12:37AM

Oh, of course. You certainly wouldn't want to see anybody hold up a red hankie, so I'll stick to the holy color of wine. Got a Sauvignon Blanc that's been open a few days but it's good enough for that I suppose.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:53PM

I hope someone yells out "I surrender" during the shout.

I hope someone waves a red hankie (by mistake of course).

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:57PM

I hope they don't start panic buying handkerchiefs this evening, when toilet paper works just as well. I'm sure they can spare at least one square for this cult activity.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:04PM

Snort. Rise your arm to the square!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:57PM

Is it revealed doctrine that the hanky must be WHITE, or is that just because Russell M. Nelson is a man of his times?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:08PM

I'm waiting for the banana shout.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:38PM

Waving a hanky while shouting hosanna is mandatory. Wearing a clown nose is optional. But recommended to fit in for group identification.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:40PM

I remember in past assemblies during the hosanna shout counting the number of bras thrown up in the air.

Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 04:41PM

I remember when going to temple dedications they checked at door if you had white hankie. Dusty Rusty said this am that if you don't have a white hankie, you can wave your hand instead. He is taking the Church apart piece by piece with no thought about how that affects old members who have supported the church in many ways including financial.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 06:52PM

How pathetic. Is this the spectacle Nelson has been promising for this conference? Mormons calling upon their non-existant Morgod to save the world, by mumbling a meaningless chant, while waving a white handkerchief? What about simple, heartfelt prayers from people crying in distress? Jesus/God is supposed to hear and answer those....

How about Mormons donating to manufacturing an anti-viral or vaccine or more respirators?

If I were currently a believing Mormon, this would be the. Ail in the coffin.

I have participated in several “hosanna shouts”, and it was very creepy, and, just lame! It is not a shout, but a low, deafening mumble. Too me, it sounded like a collective voice of doom. “Hosannah, hosannah, hosanna, to god and the Lamb.” At the end of each phrase, the voice drops, just like the peculiar drop in the GA voices during their dirge-like speeches.

I’m fighting PTSD attacks, and hearing that would push me over the edge. I’m glad the whole congregation won’t be there to join in. Lordy! Rich Mormon geezers waving hankies and chanting—-donate (our) money to save lives, if you love humanity!

Waving a white handkerchief is a sign of surrender.

I wonder how many testimonies will be lost in this.

Date: April 04, 2020 07:12PM

I never went to a temple dedication as I felt it was just another meeting. My "husband" never went to one either. I thought for sure he had.

I saw this a few years ago and was shocked.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 07:45PM

I was an active member for over 20 years and don't remember seeing or doing this. How did I miss it?

Date: April 04, 2020 07:55PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 08:17PM

My one and only experience with this was with Gordo (The Salamander) Hinckley leading it. It was more like a muffled old man’s COPD rasp at mezzo forte. Totally underwhelming. After it was over I kept thinking...that’s it? The Boner in the Hankie

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 11:26PM

Take your sacred garments off and waive them in the air.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:00AM

The purpose of the Hosanna Shout is to give praise and honor to HF and JC. Stupid Mormons, always on the wrong end of social etiquette. You normally thank people (or Gods) when they do something nice? What is there to thank these two about these days? Thank you for the lovely COVID 19? Mormons are idiots.

Posted by: Intelligent Donkey ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:23AM

I suggest the Exmo shout:

Raise your hand to the sky and say hasa diga eebowai.

No hankie, and only one finger required.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.