Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggein ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 01:27PM

I have to admit that except for occasional contact with TBM UT inlaws, DH and I live a "TBM-free" existence.

Can anyone tell me when the Mormon church began appropriating Good Friday for their own devices. Way back while I was at BYU and after living in a small Mormon town, the day was never recognized nor given any attention whatsoever and the phrase was never used. In fact, as a Catholic at BYU I distinctly recall the ubiquitous sneers and such when I did use the words, "Good Friday".

Now it seems that as they do with everything else "mainstream" they treat it as their own.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 03:14PM

The sin was not in the appropriation of Good Friday. The sin was inviting other Christian religions to observe it with them. Since all other Christian religions have been observing Good Friday for centuries, it was nothing other than extremely arrogant of the Mormons to "invite" the already-observant to the table. They still act like they're in charge of Christianity, and that other sects must listen to them. I was very embarrassed for Mormons over that.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 03:23PM

So...they're trying to draw closer to sects about which Jesus himself said "they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me"? Don't they know that Jesus said that they were wrong and that that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight? That their professors were all corrupt?

It's all right there in the Pearl of Great Price-not that Mormons know their own scriptures.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 04:16PM

Hell, last week they referred to Sunday as Palm Sunday.

Very much mainstreaming

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.