Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 01:20PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 02:05PM

What are the rules for "worshipping" ?
Is it possible to do it wrong ?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 02:17PM

No...

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 04:11PM

I pray in gratitude, twice a day, for my food. At this time, I also throw in thanksgiving for my wonderful family, and gratitude for how well we all get along, and love to be with each other (whenever possible).

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 02:46AM

Radical gratitude was the thing that pushed me through to a decent recovery from Mormonism, such as it is. I thanked God for every bad thing that ever happened to me and it worked like magic.

A quick but powerful hack, when I remember it, is in the morning take a long deep breath while feeling grateful to be alive. At the end of the exhale, say “Thank you”. Each one feels like you’re pumping up your soul.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 04:20PM

No.

Next question?

Look- we all know how hard it is to give up a lifetime of training and mental conditioning. But eventually you need to reach the point where you can stand on your own and live your own life.

It is comforting to think that there might be some sort of cosmic meaning and karma and spiritual reward for living a decent life. If that helps you, then feel free. I reached the stage where I have given up even on that.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 04:22PM

These days, if I say “oh god!” when I’m started or surprised, I quickly follow it with “hear the words of my mouth.”

But, to answer your question, no I don’t worship anyone or anything.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 04:29PM

The need to be worshipped is called Narcissism.

Those who worship Narcissists are called Sycophants.

So, un no. Don't worship. That would cancel out self-respect.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 04:44PM

+Done & Done:

TheraminTrees made a video about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZ3f-IXEXU
Length = 30:42

Personally, I don't see the point of worshipping a god/alien, treating the god/alien as a perfect being and praying to it. If you ask things from your god, then you are treating him as a genie. If you thank him, well, how do you know that god gave you anything?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 06:11PM

That was SO good, iceman. Valuable. Thanks for the link.

Perfect for an Exmo, and, for everybody. YES!

Please do not mistake the above for worship. ;)

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 06:17PM

Not in the sense you seem to mean.

In the sexuality realm, that is a verb I have - umm- transited as worship is a transitory verb.

Date: April 25, 2020 11:15PM

I am very thankful for my circumstances and what I have and for my health and that of my family. Gawd had nothing to do with it.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 11:19PM

Posted by: Nettie ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 02:14AM

I do. I still believe in Jesus Christ, to many, because they have be lied to by the mormon church, think that means everything about it is a lie, but that is not the truth. How you go about believing in Jesus is up to you to find you way to follow him.
Hope you find your way.

Date: April 26, 2020 03:16AM

The church was right about the devil using half truths to poison the well. I hate how the church’s perversion of Christ has hurt so many people. It’s so bad. I would not want to be them.

But there’s still a well that springs up unto eternal life. Only mythological language can describe it. That doesn’t mean it’s imaginary. It’s just that the iconography and mythology of the Christ archetype have been worked out over thousands of years as a kind of “Divinity for Dummies”. Is the divine inside of you or outside? Where “all that is” is concerned, inside and outside are imaginary distinctions. There is only God/love. The physical universe is made out of compassion. We coexist in it and eternity because life is multidimensional.

Which is why I say stop worshipping the Christ and be the Christ. The Mormon church fooled you into thinking they had all of the answers so you stopped looking. All they had was your money. No, the answers are inside of you. Inside your heart, but you have to live there to find them.

Date: April 26, 2020 03:46AM

I find the multidimensionality thing rather abstract, but I think I might have a simple example. Consider quantum entanglement. Are two entangled particles separate particles or are they the same particle in two places at once? The latter would be a quirk of multidimensionality.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 08:09AM

I say an occasional prayer to the universe and I do yoga. Beyond that religion has not been a good thing for me even outside of Mormonism. Saw a great quote today: “If something no longer makes no sense to you, you have every right to stop believing in it”. That’s how I ended up feeling about the bible and the biblical god. I feel a lot healthier mentally now.

Date: April 26, 2020 04:00PM

Third of Five Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say an occasional prayer to the universe and I
> do yoga. Beyond that religion has not been a good
> thing for me even outside of Mormonism. Saw a
> great quote today: “If something no longer makes
> no sense to you, you have every right to stop
> believing in it”. That’s how I ended up
> feeling about the bible and the biblical god. I
> feel a lot healthier mentally now.

Good for you.
Me too!
I think we are all a lot less judgemental, sexist, racist, homophobic, close minded than we were as TBMs, no?

Posted by: hgc ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 11:03AM

I say "thank you" every day because I have had a long and wonderful life. But I don't know who to thank aside from family and friends.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 11:53AM

What if worship means appreciation of nature...(insert quote from sombody famous here).

Date: April 26, 2020 11:58AM

The strip clubs are closed.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 12:39PM

A marque on a locked down Vegas strip club: "Sorry, we are clothed."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 08:12PM

Sign on the bordello : "Closed ! Beat it !"

Date: April 26, 2020 12:54PM

When I lost interest in what was being preached (and I had very little interest to begin with) and walked away from Mormonism I never went looking for something to replace it with. Just not important in my life.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 03:59PM

There just has to be a reason I haven't won the lottery!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 04:22PM

Seems to me that if there really is a God that we call "Heavenly Father" He would be very happy if he saw his kids getting along and helping each other. I think he'd also like it if his kids showed gratitude. I don't think he'd require that his kids worshiped Him unless he was a narcissist. He'd probably like to be loved but not worshiped.

I try to help people when I can although I should do more. I try to remember to be grateful for what I have and for all that is beautiful in our world. I don't think I will ever join a church or sit through a sacrament meeting ever again. I certainly won't worship anyone but will try to love more and to show gratitude.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 07:48PM

I still say prayers, especially for safety on the highway, it seems to be the most dangerous place I go. Work can be dangerous too, and I've had work place injuries, so yes I ask for help.

Date: April 27, 2020 07:05PM

I pray once or twice a year. As often as I can. When I go to visit my sacred place. Which is a monastery on an island, with a big Buddha on the beach.
I just express my gratitude for life, and love in my life.
No expectations, just gratitude.
I proposed to my fiance there last month, beneath a tree. In front of the Buddha.
She said Yes.
It is one of our favorite places on Earth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.