Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 03:53PM

Which we can't see because it is 250 million light years away from us, but it is 400 million light years across.
Yet it is pulling, not only our milky way, but all the galaxies in our galactic neighborhood, Laneakea, toward it at the same rate of speed, 1.4 million mph.
Causing our galaxy to rotate, clockwise, once every 250million years.
Last time our sun rotated about the black hole, SagA*, at the center of the Milky Way, dinosaurs were just rising out of the sea, and by the time they went extinct, 3hours ago on the galactic clock, we were furry little mammals running in burrows beneath their feet.
25,000 years ago, about the time it takes light to get from SagA* to Earth, was when Modern Humans, Homo Sapiens Sapiens evolved, 6 seconds ago, on the galactic clock.
Tic Tock

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 03:58PM

very thought provoking post Schrodinger.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 04:08PM

Yeah, the first time ....

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 04:04PM

Maybe the word god is just short for whatever you pull out of your ass.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 04:47PM

god cannot be short for another three letter word. Suggest you use "posterior", though I suppose "butt" will work too.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 05:23PM

Meant to report this post, sorry. Just more repetitive noise without connection to Mormonism.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 05:29PM

dogblogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meant to report this post, sorry. Just more
> repetitive noise without connection to Mormonism.
The nature of the universe and our existence in it, has nothing to do with Recovery From Mormonism?
I don't know about you, but I am always trying to articulate a more tennable existential foothold. Which has EVERYTHING to do with Recovering from the bogus, fraudulent CULT that exploited me and 7 generations of my family.
If you are not interested, you could buttout.
But report me?
What is this JHS?

Date: May 16, 2020 05:34PM

Why care about being reported? You know what's best for us and you do your duty.

And maybe it's like wearing a mask? A little prevention can go a long way!

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 05:48PM

It's a Mormon recovery board.

Not your pet idea board for dead rehashed topics that are off topic.

Noise and agenda preaching should be reported as it detracts from the purpose and function of the board.

What this is is recovery from Mormonism, not your general chat feed for whatever catches your eye.

Good moderation drives the purpose and function of the board. Reporting preaching and noise is how members help keep a forum on topic and functioning to its purpose.

All of which you tend to thwart.

So yes, I'll report your posts on repetitive personal fantasies and off topic linking to help the mods identify the content detracting from actual recovery from mormonism.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 05:45PM

I just wish that astronomers in the 70s didn't have such a flare for the dramatic. The Zone of Avoidance, The Great Attractor, they're such dramatic names for normal things. The Norma Cluster isn't special. The passage of time is mundane. And fancy names don't make something mysterious.

Date: May 16, 2020 06:13PM

Holy crap! Are you saying the God particle isn't super-duper extra special?!?!?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 07:23PM

Actually there is another area that is farther out and seems to have a bigger influence as an attractor, but it is named the Shapley Attractor. That is not nearly as much fun to say as "The Great Attractor", so SC sticks with the glitzier name.

Neither attractor is a particular big deal. It is a bit like an eddy current in a cup of coffee when you lift the spoon out. Yes, there are some spots in the universe where the motion is not quite consistent with a 100% uniform expansion. All this means is that the early universe wasn't 100% uniform. This is not a surprise.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 08:20PM

In most cases God is synonymous with "mirror".

Date: May 16, 2020 08:26PM

What a remarkably (in my case) ugly thing to say about ghawd!!!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 11:18PM

God is one eternal round, the avocado pit in the cosmic guacamole that circumscribes all truth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.