Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hujo2MAGA ( )
Date: June 07, 2020 05:31PM

Hey guys, a lot of you already know me but for those who don't I'm a 14 almost 15 year old exmo. (Going to be a sophomore) I honestly can't wait until I'm 18 so I can officially leave. Here's the plan-
Throughout high school, I am and still will be growing my passive income. I write ebooks, and might start an e commerce. I'm hoping to make 10,000 a month by the end of high school. When it's time for college I may or may not get into BYU (I'm a 3.8-3.9 student) but I know I'll get into the U of U, as I'm a Utah resident. The reason I'd want to go to BYU is because of how good their business school is. I'd go there over the U because I can still go to parties and get laid, (just not in provo). My goal is to get into a good out of state college with a good business school, but that's still a party school. All throughout my 3 years I have left, I'll be playing football, partying, (not dumb stuff though) and chasing my purpose of becoming a billionaire. Hopefully I can party without my parents knowing, but when I turn 16 it'll get a lot easier. The tough part will be my senior year, as I graduate at 17 in June, and then turn 18 in August. My parents will be wanting me to go on a mission, so that may be a difficult summer. Any advice on when to tell them and how to handle the freak out is helpful.
This is my plan so far, and I'm sure it'll change as times change. Any advice or constructive criticism is always helpful!
Thanks for reading

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 07, 2020 05:39PM

It says something about religious cults when you need an exit strategy to escape them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2020 08:34PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 07, 2020 05:49PM

I don't see how you can be expected to serve a mission if you just tell your Stake President in the interview that you have no testimony, you plan on resigning at age 18, you do not follow (and have no intention of following) the WofW, etc, etc. All those things will also prevent you from getting a temple recommend. If you don't want to confess all that just tell the bishop and SP in your interviews that you cannot and will not be able to stay celibate for as long as a mission. That should do it.

Going to BYU just because they have a good business school is a bad idea. BYU's (and Mormonism in general) has reputation for weirdness. It could actually lose you good jobs unless you are planning on apply and working exclusively for Mormons and staying mainly in Utah.

Couldn't you spend your summer doing some kind of service, volunteer work? It would get you out of your parent's house and maybe even out of Utah. It would also look great on your college and work resumee.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 07, 2020 07:44PM

I wanna see the movie!!

Date: June 07, 2020 08:57PM

I don't think I said anything about a movie lol

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: June 07, 2020 08:14PM

I would say it's better to study than to write books for a 14 year old. Writing ebooks might be fun, but first become an expert at something, try to get really smart. That means thoroughly research what your interested in. To become an expert takes years maybe decades. If you like English then study the History of English, all the great authors, the masters, all the "dead old white men" (as academia like to refer to them by :)

Date: June 07, 2020 08:59PM

True, however I'd rather start being an entrepreneur young. I don't want to work for anyone, I'd rather have people work for me. I recognize you've gotta start somewhere, but studying really isn't strong point of mine lol. Thanks for the advice though

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 07:20AM

Go for it! You’ll get a massive education diving in and writing ebooks or pursuing any business ideas you have. You’ll grow as a person, you’ll develop all sorts of personal skills, you’ll learn about tenacity and hard work and you could make serious progress towards your financial goals. If you’ve already started I’m sure you know that already.

Date: June 10, 2020 05:16PM

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 12:51AM

Stormy, did you come back to us?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 01:09AM

*LOL*

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 01:42AM

I am wondering the same thing.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 02:45AM

Passive income, e-commerce, reading an entrepreneurial book (mentioned in another thread,) unrealistic ideas about monthly income -- sounds like Amway or one of its affiliates. If so, there is no surer way to drain your pocket.

The entrepreneurs that I have known worked extremely hard for their money over many years. They may have sold their businesses eventually, but while they were working there was nothing "passive" about their income.

Make sure that you have enough cash in the bank so that you can leave your house soon after you graduate from high school. You'll want to make your escape to college. Utah colleges are relatively inexpensive compared to a number of out of state schools. You'll want to keep your student debt, if any, to a minimum.

Personally, in your shoes I would aim to get a paycheck from an employer as soon as you are able in high school. But it's your call. Just make sure that your savings account is going in the right direction.

One more thing -- since you have a high GPA, aim to take as many AP courses (and the accompanying tests) as you are able. That would allow you to enter college with some credits already under your belt. Also, some high schools allow upperclassmen to cross register at the local community college.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2020 03:42AM by summer.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 02:54PM

I think you have some plot holes in your story.
I know published writers that spend 8-12 hours daily writing and earn far less per month. It takes years of experience to earn at the level you are predicting/hoping for. Reevaluate your goals.

BYU is a bad idea. Go to a school where you can be yourself and get the degree elsewhere. There are many BYU students who have mentally left the church who remain in BYU's authority and risk their mental health, scholarships, student financing, etc.

You would be living the lie of the code of ethics required to remain at BYU, so your choice implies you want to keep up appearances of a LDS member and do the slooooooow exit.

I will give you the same advice I gave my son who is a copywriter and running small entrepreneurship. Work HARD, have a balanced life that meets your financial, physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual goals (not necessarily religion). Save your money and watch your expenditures. Being rich does not make you any happier, but financial security will get you through rough times. Hard times will ALWAYS come, no matter what degree or how much you make.

Best wishes!

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 04:38PM

You remind me so much of myself, 25 years ago (except that I'm female and didn't have to worry about the pressure to serve a mission, but the pressure to marry in the temple was certainly there).

I left the church the day I left my parents house. I went out of state to college and simply stopped attending. Sure, I racked up $55,000 in student loan debt, but I look at that as the cost of my freedom. Well worth it. I resigned seven years later. I would have resigned sooner, but I simply didn't know that was an option. I didn't even know I could Google such a thing. I thought I was stuck on the rolls forever.

What I wanted more than anything in high school was to be free to be me. I HATED being Mormon and I was embarrassed by it. Under my parents roof, I had to follow their rules. I love my parents, but they are authoritarian and very, very brainwashed by the church after generations of being members. One of their minor children leaving the church was not going to happen, no way, no how. To make my life easier, I played the game. I was as involved as I needed to be to keep them happy, and no more.

I started babysitting at age 12 and squirrling away all my money. I was a huge saver. I got my first "real" job at a Kmart when I was 16 and saved all that money too. I worked 30 hours a week from my sophomore year until I graduated and saved most of it. No, working at Kmart wasn't glamorous, but it bought me my freedom. Money in the bank gave me options many of my friends didn't have.

Today, I'm a freelance writer, a land investor, and I own a brick-and-mortar business that is thriving. It's hard work. Long hours. I didn't get here right out of college though. I worked for some amazing employers, and they all taught me something that has molded me into the successful entrepreneur I am today. I've worked for some crappy employers too. I quit those jobs. There's no shame in that. Life is short and there's some fantastic employers out there.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! If you read nothing else in my post, read this: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND YOUR EARS OPEN. Free knowledge is out there. Be willing to learn it and put in the hard work to apply it. That is where success comes from. Sure, I learned things in college, but I've learned the skills that make me money in the real world. Be willing to learn and you will find a willing teacher.

When you finally do have your freedom, be careful. Start drinking slowly and find your limits. Stay safe. Stay with trusted friends. Don't drink and drive. Use protection and avoid STDs. Don't do stupid illegal things and get arrested. Too many young people who leave the mormon church go too far the other way. Find a balance. Out of the church you will find that not everyone is drinking (I don't -- I'm a diabetic and alcohol disagrees with my blood sugar), not everyone drinks coffee (my husband was raised Catholic and hates coffee), not everyone is getting laid. Try things because you want to, not because you feel societal pressure to.

Good luck! It's not easy being trapped in the church when all you want is out. You will make it to the other side, and come out far less damaged than many on this board who discovered the truth well into adult hood.

Date: June 10, 2020 05:12PM

Wow thanks so much! Best advice I’ve read yet...
Anyway I’m not planning on drinking that much, drugs are an absolute no for me, coffee is a yes, (a good nootropic) and honestly I’ve got a pretty high sex drive so that’ll be a yes. I’ll make sure wear condoms for protection. Thanks ssoooo much for the encouraging words:)

Posted by: ThirdofFive notloggedin ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 01:42PM

My advice to anyone in your situation would be to avoid BYU for college. It would also be better to aim to get out of Utah eventually. Forget about getting rich until you’re done with college and figure out instead what you love to do. When you’re young you have a lot to discover about yourself. To be free and independent all you need is a good education and then a job that you enjoy. Enjoy living in the moment; to do that get away from the mormons. Don’t go to BYU.
As for your mission, perhaps you can wait until your college admission is confirmed and set up, then just tell them you’re not going.
I might have this wrong but are you trying to save lots of money so that you don’t have to depend on your parents? I’m wondering if you fear their controlling things if you’re dependent on them financially?
If you don’t believe in mormonism and want to escape it, don’t go to BYU. Omg I’ve said it three times. I only ever visited there briefly and I hated it, and that’s when I was a TBM. I don’t see how you would be able to tolerate that environment as someone who doesn’t believe. And plan a future away from Utah. These options might be better...

Date: June 10, 2020 05:15PM

I honestly am just trying to become rich because that’s been my goal since I was 5. Can’t explain it, but the entrepreneurial life is for me. I’m hoping to be able to pay for my own college as well just in case. Thanks for the BYU advice as well.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 02:53PM

My two cents worth.

1. A degree from BYU can hurt more than help. Many employers toss any resume with BYU. I know some folks that will not enter into business relationships with mormons. Find a different school.

2. The day you turn 18 go to the credit union and open your own accounts in your name only. You don't want to see your money disappear and squirreled away by your parents for your mission.

Good luck.

Date: June 10, 2020 05:15PM

I’ll make sure I do that. I don’t think my parents would be that heartless but Mormons are Mormons... Who knows

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.