Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hujo2MAGA ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 07:48PM

Hello guys, at dinner tonight, my mom said something that made me think of all the myths surrounding the supposed "Second Coming" of Christ. We were eating fish and she said "This may be one of the last fish meals you have because Revelations says 1/3 of the fish will die." Utter Bullsh*t if you ask me. Theres tons of other myths that mormon twist, for example- natural disasters. The problem with this is that theres always natural disasters, history has shown us this. What other myths sound like utter bulls*t to you guys? LMK down below
Have a nice day guys!:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 07:59PM

Several mornings this past week, I've gotten up early to view a beautiful comet in the northeastern sky. To my true believing neighbors this is a 'sign in the heavens' of the last days.
Hasn't every comet and eclipse since the days of Joseph Smith been a sign that the end is here?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 08:04PM

Next time your mom says "RevelationS," tell her it's "Revelation" and keep on eating without skipping a beat.

You could also tell her that the book reminds you of a recent trip you had, but that probably wouldn't go over as well.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:40PM

I don't get that... pls explain more lol

Date: July 12, 2020 11:07PM

The title of the book is The Book of Revelation. It’s singular, and fundamental/evangelical christians go a bit nuts when an “s” is added.

It reads like it was written by someone who, rather than being inspired by god, had taken a bunch of hallucinogens and had the weirdest and worst nightmare/trip ever.

You can tell your mom that we’ve killed at least 1/3 of sea life, so god must be running a bit late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 01:03AM by Beth.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 08:13PM

Every time she makes a ridiculous statement like that, write it down, date it, and ask her to sign it as a record. If she refuses, it will be strong evidence that deep down she doesn't actually believe her own BS.

But if she does sign them, keep the documents. In three or four or ten years, when Jesus is still playing Kolob Fortnite in Heavenly Mother's basement and hasn't shown up to set the world on fire for not paying tithing, you can show all the signed papers to her whenever you want to drive it home that her beliefs are uncommonly stupid.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:41PM

LMFAOOOO I'm dying hahhahahaha

Posted by: Wormwood is Chernobyl ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 08:15PM

hujo2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We were eating fish and she said "This may
> be one of the last fish meals you have because
> Revelations says 1/3 of the fish will die." Utter
> Bullsh*t if you ask me.

According to a 2018 UN report, 1/3 of stocks have been overfished -"The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2018; Meeting the sustainable development goals"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 12:08AM

So when is the FIRST coming ?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 12:29AM

My favorite. Jesus will not return until the rainbow is removed from the earth.

Date: July 13, 2020 01:05AM

Ha! So is there one rainbow that appears when and where it likes? What about double rainbows? What do we do about them? How do we remove the rainbow?! I have some choice words for Jesus.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 12:04PM

My wife just brought home a big carton of Rainbow Sherbet--what happens when it's gone?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 04:39PM

It's all Armageddon from there on out.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 07:46AM

There will be thousands of temples running 24/7.

I vaguely remember something about Jesus coming back in red underwear. Sounds a little kinky to me.

Black males will get the priesthood. Oh, wait....

A couple of missionaries will lie dead in the street in Jerusalem for three days. You'd think Orthodox Jews would not permit that to happen.

And of course The Trek to Jackson County.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 09:23AM

“Black males will get the priesthood. Oh, wait....”
The 1978 “revelation” was one of a few times that my mom was sure that the second coming was near.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 04:31PM

Lol. In my case, it was the one and only time my mom questioned the inspiration of church leaders. "How can they do that? It says right here that...."

Posted by: Theeetheralthem ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 11:22AM

Your ancestors are being tormented in thee afterlife. Hurry and jump all hoops, or their suffering WILL be your fault.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 05:46PM

Well, there are so many interpretations and made up nonsense about the Book of Revelation. Some facts, this was a book written by a political prisoner so just like Aesop's Fables was written about people, governments and things critic on things being taught. 666 is Cesar Nero, the whole "rapture" is never in the bible but was made up by one of the first evangelical preachers Billy Sunday. Now even though "Latter-day" may be in the corporations name, the prophets and apostles are always contradicting each other. Get a 2 year supply, get married, have a family, get an education, save up for missions, etc... Watch Packer and Maxwell teach the exact opposite things about end of times, Packer says, "Don't worry, Jesus' coming isn't soon...", Maxwell says, "Signs are being fulfilled..." this was in 1992. https://youtu.be/n_Ff607s_Mo

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 06:51AM

Some say the real number is 616 and it was changed, but Nero never forced anyone to get a mark in their hands or foreheads to buy or sell. On the other hand now we have barcodes, chips under the skin, finger print/retinal recognition and a very ooen War on Cash to abolish physical money.

Oddly enough I have NEVER heard LDS leaders talk about the dangers of abolishing physical money. With one command, entire swathes of people can become unpersons as their entire income and payments are switched off.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 08:08AM

Bitcoin can’t be abolished. Bank accounts can already be seized. People barter. So the revelation about buying and selling sounds pretty far fetched. There’s not one future because the future exists as a field of probabilities. Revelation, I think, covers the worst timelines, most of which we have avoided. When lots of people don’t want something to happen, it usually gets repelled. We have reached a point now when the apocalypse, or revealing, intersects all subsequent timelines. There’s no missing the golden age. We survived the Kali Yuga.

As for Mormon ideas about all this, the religion is a perversion. It’s already being unmasked. The apocalypse won’t favor the church.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 11:54AM

The mormon overlords are not against physical money.

After all, you can buy anything in this world with money...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 12:47PM

a few decades ago when Seattle channel 7 (CBS) was owned by Bonneville / ChurchCo, the boss was a guy named Lloyd Cooney (utah transplant??);

He did at least 1 on-air rant against companies (car rental as I recall) refusing to rent vehicles to ppl without a credit card... This was well before the debit cards were introduced.

He read the inscription on paper bills that mentioned about being 'legal tender', blah blah blah...

I further think he ran for some elective office but his launch fizzled; some people called him Lloyd Gooney...

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 06:12PM

As a friend is want to say: "It's either the undertaker or the uppertaker." At my age I'm taking no bets on who it will be and time is too short to worry over which one.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 07:39PM

All I can say is he has an exceptionally long refactory period.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 11:58AM

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 01:06AM

We already are seeing some of this stuff.

People calling evil good and good evil.
Especially with what we teach our kids is ok.

Fish dying could happen with a chemical or biological threat already we put tons of plastic in our oceans which is not helping so not outside the realm of possibilities but it would take a lot happening at once.

With the way our society is going we may see the scripture:

"And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death."

Like I said, we may very well see this stuff but that doesn't make mormonism true in the slightest. It may give people desire to give the bible another read. As none of know, how things will all work out.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 06:46AM

The one I find eerie is mentioned i Rev 13 - "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."

Sure sounds a lot like some of these cashless payment systems we are being forced into. Especially any that are put on or under the skin (these exist already btw).

What I find weird is that most of this chapter is trippy and cryptic (multiheaded beasts coming out of the sea etc), but it is oddly specific about mentioning the mark on the hand or forehead you need to buy and sell with.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 11:32AM

Bleh.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 01:15AM

A word to the wise: if you can't make sense of the entire work, then the one or two passages that seem like divine revelation are probably bunk too.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 02:31PM

As far as Second Coming "myths", my RM brother told me a few very recently.

• In the last days, only LDS women will be willing to bear children. So...if/when that happens, I guess.
• In the last days, things will be so horrible on the earth that the saints will cry out to the Lord to just come and end it.
• Supposedly, the Lamanites are going to rise up as a great nation before the second coming, which is what has happened with Oklahoma(and set a precedent for other states with similar treaties).

Just some silly things my brother told me that are supposed to happen before Christ comes again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 02:31PM by thegoodman.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 03:09PM

My mom had a wacky one she got probably from someone's discussion of Revelation 21.

She said when Jesus comes back, our diamonds and also ones from Jewish folks (lucky them!) would be used in the walls of a new temple. I've never heard anything quite like this at church.

My mom and dad had some doozies from the older LDS generation. They talked more about the twelve tribes when I was a kid.

Apparently God will use gemstones to construct the walls of New Jerusalem and their relationship to the twelve apostles. This gleaming city, "prepared as a bride adorned for her husband"
(Revelation 21:2, HBFV), will be created and brought from heaven to a new earth only after all evil has been purged from the entire universe (see Revelation 20).

So somehow my mom got from somewhere we would all have to give up our wedding rings to be put in walls of the temple. I was to have Grandma's, my mom's and my own diamond probably to contribute by then.

The book of Revelation is the basis for a lot of bat-shite craziness.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 06:51PM

Who Comes First?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 04:51AM

"the moon will turn to blood"

they were emphatic,no one knew exactly how, but it would !!! In reality that blood moon thing had been going on clear back in the OT. the MORmONS around me were profoundly ignorant !!!! now I know better and they still expect me to respect them. MORmONS !!!!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 06:55AM

THE BIGGEST MYTH REGARDING THE SECOND COMING IS THAT THERE IS GOING TO BE ONE!!!!

Sorry for the all-caps.

According to religious people, we are always in the Last Days. It's always just around the corner. Any day now. I'm sure of it. You just have to have faith to see the signs. Just a few more years. Just you wait and see!

I kept waiting, when I was an active member, for Mormons to grow up.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 12:01PM

my mentally ill wife at the time really believed that Jesus was going to return on Y2K, I mean really believed it, not just the superficial standard MORmON thing. I know, it sounds like it would be really funny. It was NOT funny.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 01:09PM

I knew it wouldn't. But I could hope, couldn't I? I sat on the sofa with my dog and waited for the new year HOPING.

My life was such a mess then. I would have loved for it to end. Too bad. My brother posted something Rusty said yesterday on fb about this is the time to be preparing for Christ's arrival. I thought, oh hell. He's disabled so I give him a pass. When my not active and wildly crazy, sinful (ha ha) and alcoholic sister posts those things on fb, then I think "Yep, she's nuts." She hasn't been active mormon since she was 17. She is 59.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 04:26PM

CL;

is sis looking for a hook-up with a 'sane' guy?

on second thought, Never Mind!!!!

Date: August 11, 2020 04:08PM

So you are Christian, but don't want to pay premium for the mormon version?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 04:55PM

Since factory ships began, we may indeed be looking at only 1/3 of the fish remaining. It has nothing to do with the Bible, though. (Or DOES it?...)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 09:18PM

We have killed off more than a third of the fish in the sea already. Store shelves are still full of fish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.