Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 08:53PM

Most of you know that kidney problems gallop through my family.

A couple of days ago, I felt the beginning a a urinary tract infection. I've had enough of them that I know what to look for. They make you miserable enough that you DO NOT want to sit in an ER while they take care of all the heart attacks, vehicular mishap victims, etc. before they get to you.

Because it was the middle of the night (around 1:00 a.m.) I was unable to get through to my usual renal nurse, who knows me and would have prescribed something on the spot.)

The next day my DH took me to an urgent care hospital that I had never been to before. I submitted the requisite urine sample plus blood work (never requested before). Then we waited. And waited. After about three hours of squirming in misery, I asked the clerk abut how much longer I would have to wait. After shuffling through a number of papers and checking the computer, she had no clue who I was. (Though I had a receipt showing that I had already paid for care.) She told me, "You just have to wait."

I told my DH, "Screw this. I need help NOW." by that time, the urgent care facility we have gone to in the past was open, and I got seen quickly.

The doctor (a stranger to me) agreed that my urine was loaded with cooties. He totally ignored a paper I had given him showing medications I was taking, as well as things I am allergic to.

He prescribed something I had never heard of before. A single dose of this stuff made me sicker than I had ever been in my life, except maybe when I had C. Diff a couple of years ago.

I called my pharmacist, whom I have known and trusted for years, and explained the situation. I asked him if he could contact a physician who could prescribe the medication I had initially asked for (and which has a great track record in cases like this for me.) He did so, and within an amazingly short time, I had the medicine I needed.

I am doing much better today, except that I ache all over and have no appetite, but the dreadful urinary tract pain (which extended all the way up to the kidney area in the flanks) has subsided. I am weaker than I have ever been with a UTI, but I attribute a lot of that to the terrible medicine.

I don't have the energy to drag myself out to the living room to watch TV with DH. I have been cuddled up with my teddy bear (a lovely specimen who resembles the original Winnie the Pooh, not the Disney one) and listening to audiobooks. They are a lifesaver.

COVID would have done me in altogether. I'm pretty sure I have a chance of surviving this one.

Thanks for the positive thoughts - they help every time, y'all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 09:32PM

Positive thoughts. I reckon they don't call it Health Care Industry for nuthin.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 11:13PM

Bless your heart, I hope the pain subsides. I hope you will be able to relax soon

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 10:58AM

frankie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bless your heart, I hope the pain subsides. I hope
> you will be able to relax soon

My feelings as well.

My best wishes surround you (and every part of you!), catnip.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 11:42PM

Sending positive thoughts your way, Catnip.

Why do medical professionals argue about meds? Back when I used to get sinus infection on top of sinus infection, I had the grand tour of all of the antibiotics. I definitely have favorites, based on how well they worked for me, but some PCPs have favorites as well, and evidently their favorites outrank my favorites.

My other thing is that I always like a valium before anesthesia is administered. The last time, a nurse argued with me about it, and I'm thinking, does it cost you money to hand me a pill that will calm me down somewhat before surgery? Yikes.

I hope that you feel better in short order.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 12:10AM

You got 'em, Sweet catnip.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 03:14AM

Will your doctor not give you an extra prescription for when the symptoms start showing up given your history? I know my mom's doctor did as she gave me some of the antibiotic that she had for a sinus infection I had. He made sure she always had spares. I type this up all the time where the doctor gives the patient an extra prescription for when it shows up again, and then refills it when you use that one.

It can't be good on your kidneys to have to suffer through a day or 2 of the infection.

I'm sorry they put you through this. I'm not a big fan of the medical practice.

Date: July 25, 2020 03:36AM

Colleen, the medical practice I have been with for the last 30 years now goes out of its way to prevent patients from having any direct contact with real, live human practitioners. ("If you need a prescription refill, press 1. To make or cancel an appointment, press 2," and so on. The very last option (after you listen to maybe 37 other things) is to talk to a live human.

I finally got a callback from my primary care provider after I had already been on medication for about a day and a half. She had only gotten the message about an half-hour before she called me. She is a sweetheart and was so apologetic about the delayed care. I reassured her that I was now on proper medication and was doing much better. But imagine, taking a day and a half to get a message through to your primary care provider when you are running a fever and have an active infection going!

We had a video call and she could see for herself that I looked about as bad as last week's still-unwashed laundry, so she knew I wasn't faking it.

Date: July 30, 2020 12:56PM

I hate those press 1 for English and on and on. Refills I have to go to #5 and if I push it too soon, then I get an error. I have to listen to that recording for far too long.

I do know that they are able to give prescriptions for the chance you will get it again in the future, which you will. I know some doctors will give them and some won't. With your health situation, they need to be giving you an extra prescription of that med or refills on the ones you get. It isn't like you are taking opiates. I do know they do it. I have an old bottle of my moms that she gave me some of her extra antibiotics.

Your illness is NOTHING for them to be passive about, but I know how it is. The office help at my doctor's office is HORRIBLE. She wanted me to do a telehealth this next time. She had COVID back when I was supposed to go in and I canceled because I didn't get my labs in time. She went to work with COVID not knowing it and then I had a 2 minute phone call with no discussion of labs and I got charged full price, so I won't do telehealth with her if she is in the office.

A lot of times it is the staff. I won't go into the insanity I've had with the staff at any of the doctor's offices. you have to wonder!!!! Who educated these kids???

I'm glad you are feeling better. I would hope they'd give you a refill. You need refills. It is a life or death situation and it seems they just don't care.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 03:38AM

Certainly, catnip. Certainly good thoughts for you.

And, avoid antiperspirants that contain aluminum. It says it right on the container.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 10:51AM

Keep on keeping on, amiga mia!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 02:21PM

Sending out big hugs..... keep us posted on your progress.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 01:09PM

Oh, Sweetie! I'm so sorry for this rigamarole! I'm glad you're at least on the mend. Good vibes coming your way!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 01:38PM

Oh man! Get better soon! Sorry you had to endure that.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 04:43PM

Positive thoughts on the way.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 06:22PM

Don't laugh, but I have found my own cure for bladder troubles.

I take a tablespoon of baking-soda, mixed with a little water (so it can be swallowed), and then swallow that mixture, followed by a drink of water.

Good luck--I hope it works for you.

PS: Return and report.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 07:42PM

Sounds terrible, I don't trust doctors. They make many many mistakes and have a big egos, and over the years I've heard lots of horror stories committed by professionals who just didn't care about their patients. It's a mess, but hang in there, we are thinking about you :)

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 12:43AM

Any time you need them catnip. Then take a catnap.

Date: July 27, 2020 12:46AM

Turned out I was a lot sicker than anyone had realized. The bug had sunk its nasty little claws into BOTH of my kidneys, and is only just now beginning to let go. They have extended the length of the prescription and are allowing me to avoid hospitalization (and IV hydration) if I promise to drink GALLONS of water, which I have been doing.

Feeling better in terms of pain and fever, but still little appetite and even less energy.

I just know that y'all's positive thoughts are my secret weapon!! Thanks bunches!

Date: July 30, 2020 01:01PM

prescription. Actually, I just remembered, my husband's old boyfriend spends time in Mexico with his politician friend from Utah (and anyone would know him if I posted his name) who is gay and so he brings me amoxicillin whenever he goes down so we have extra antibiotics. They've helped many of us as I usually have extras (I'm out of it right now).

I know amoxicillin is not what you are taking. It really makes me angry that they would let this happen to you.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 11:17PM

Good healing vibes headed your way. Bee well.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 07:16PM

Good grief. Medicine is the same here. Sometimes good, sometimes not.

More positive thoughts to you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.