Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 03:35AM

This is the actual audio recording of the mass suicide and the final moments of the People's Temple in 1978.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkookcrAnSE

The prophet tells you that there is no danger.

The prophet tells you everything will be fine.

The prophet tells you that there is nothing to worry about.

The prophet tells you that it will all be OK.

The prophet tells you to deny the real world.

But the prophet actually wants you to sacrifice your life for him.

Do you believe the prophet?

Would you follow the prophet to the bitter end?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 03:36AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 04:09AM

Timely.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 11:55AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 09:30AM

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 12:03PM

<<...Their passports were confiscated, their letters home censored and members were encouraged to inform on one another and forced to attend lengthy, late-night meetings...>>

Does this sound familiar?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 03:48PM

How else do you make AP!?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 03:51PM

Creepy.

(Not you Dog. The similarities).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2020 03:52PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Samantics ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 10:11AM

https://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=16566

QUOTE:
Despite all the exhibits and memorials of Harvey Milk throughout San Francisco, though, none of them acknowledges Milk’s relationship with Jim Jones and Peoples Temple...Out of respect for the politicians, their followers took all necessary steps to sever Milk and Moscone from the pariah Jones. It was not the only mass exodus of political support in the wake of the Jonestown tragedy. Politicians who once enjoyed volunteers, donations and votes from Peoples Temple, could not distance themselves from Jim Jones fast enough. Many of these people are still in politics today.

Because Milk and Moscone were murdered so soon after the Jonestown tragedy, there was immediate speculation that Peoples Temple was somehow involved. Ann Kronenberg, Milk’s hand- picked successor, told Milk biographer Randy Shilts, that when she first heard Milk was murdered, she thought Jim Jones was responsible. Rumors began to circulate (and some persist today) of obscure connections between Jim Jones and Milk’s murderer, Dan White. Vague rumors of a falling out between Milk and Jones also surfaced. One story has it that Milk asked Peoples Temple to remove his name from the church’s list of supporters when reports of violence and theft first came to light, and that he was outraged when the Temple failed to comply with his demand. Eventually, history settled on an official story: Jim Jones was a master manipulator who used unwitting local politicians to gain power for himself. The politicians, including Milk and Moscone, used Jones for volunteers and votes, while remaining personally distant and blissfully unaware of rumors of Temple violence, abuse, theft and even murder. The timing of Dan White’s murderous rampage was deemed coincidental.

However, upon closer inspection, it is clear that Harvey Milk was a strong advocate for Peoples Temple and Jim Jones during his political career, including the tumultuous year leading up to the Jonestown tragedy. Milk spoke at the Temple often, wrote personal letters to Jim Jones, contacted other elected officials on the Temple’s behalf, and used space in his weekly column to support the works of the Temple, even after the negative New West article went to press. Milk appeared in the pages of the Peoples Forum, the Temple newspaper, and received over fifty letters of sympathy from the residents of Jonestown when his lover, Jack Lira, killed himself in September 1978.

It is readily apparent from the letters and historical memorabilia that Milk and the Temple enjoyed a mutually supportive relationship until their concurrent deaths. Why then is the relationship such a secret, even taboo to discuss? The only biography of Milk to date, The Mayor of Castro Street, by Randy Shilts, downplays the Milk/Temple relationship, even going so far as to paint Milk as one of the countless people who cruelly ridiculed and ostracized the surviving Temple members and their supporters. Like most historians, Shilts opted for an image of an expedient politician, instead of truthfully portraying how Milk worked with Peoples Temple until the end of his life.

Enough time has passed since Milk’s brutal murder to reanalyze this relationship, to explore how and why Harvey Milk supported Peoples Temple. As people who hold Milk in high esteem, we should honestly and openly explore and reevaluate what we know about Peoples Temple, to see what it was about the church that appealed to Milk.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 01:22PM

“Milk asked Peoples Temple to remove his name from the church’s list of supporters when reports of violence and theft first came to light”

Danites anyone?

The early church was “persecuted” because it instigated violence and theft. There are a lot of similarities between Joseph and Jim. When Joseph was in Carthage jail, he requested his militia to go against the hundreds strong state militia. The resulting insurrection would have been suicide for Nauvoo.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 03:11PM

Then again, who can say?

Over the last 37 years I have spent thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars on the foolish, obviously fake mormon mob. If I was dumb enough to do that, maybe grape flavor would have been ok.

What an idiot I was / am.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 03:18PM

Remember they shot the people that chose not to drink

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 03:35PM

I drank it. I married my husband because they told me to, but that isn't why I married him. I was very concerned about him. I expected them to give me some hope for him, but they told me he was damned. I would have done almost anything for him.

If they wanted to poison my children. I would have gone down fighting. No way in hell would I let them poison my children. I would have been one of those who was shot.

Date: August 14, 2020 03:52PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 03:50PM

I never did. Knew from a young age I wouldn't

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 09:06PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: August 14, 2020 04:00PM

A HP Group meeting.... Back in the day...

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 05:54PM

All of us from an early age are trained to follow the wisdom of authority from our parents to our teachers to our priests and ministers. And the whole truth is that we really want to believe in that authority even when it is misplaced. That makes all of us suckers to join a cult, especially one that magnifies the beliefs that our authority figures taught us when we were young. Add to this mix our unwillingness to face the complexities of today's world--we want simple answers to everything and that is just not possible in many cases.

Am I vulnerable to joining a cult, even now? I like to think not, but hopefully I'll never be tested. And hopefully, I'll never have to face the decision of whether or not to drink the arsenic-laced KoolAid!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 06:31PM

"...Omitting any reference to the fact that Jones had several times forced his followers to rehearse mass suicide,..}

People are conditioned to commit radical acts by practicing (or participating in) minor acts. There were rehearsals for mass suicide by practicing it. These were called "White Nights." Also, Jones had inculcated a strong persecution mentality in his followers, persuading them that their enemies (the US government?) would come to slaughter them.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 03:00PM

But symbolically relevant. "A spoonful of flavor helps the poison go down. (Apologies to Mary Poppins)

Posted by: Kool Runnings ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 04:26AM

It is amazing that this phrase is so common and yet Kool Aid still exists. In my experience, it is horrible artificial stuff. I used to drink Freshie which was much nicer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.