Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: not fooled anymore ( )
Date: August 16, 2020 02:35PM

for all of you that are so eager to take the rushed covid vacine, think thalidomide.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=thalidomide

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 16, 2020 02:38PM

It is not like thalidomide - that had years and years testing before its release!

Posted by: not fooled anymore ( )
Date: August 16, 2020 02:45PM

go for it!!!! good luck

Date: August 16, 2020 04:03PM

notfooledanymore it was a joke.

The current vaccine has only been tested a few months if the producers of it are to have any reputability in their claims.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2020 03:58PM

I'm on birth control, so it's all good for me!

Date: August 16, 2020 03:58PM

lol

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 02:20PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 03:54PM by saucie.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 07:36PM

Does your employer know about this and have they approved it?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 16, 2020 09:48PM

This issue is why we need strong CLIA and FDA regulations, folks. Up until recently we had strong oversight from united regulatory agencies. Unfortunately the anti-science administration has done its best to divide, remove and hinder collaboration and regulations (e.g. CDC, WHO and other agencies).

Thankfully, most corporations diligently test injectable product. Dedicated scientists are cross checking everything we can to verify efficacy, purity, and product safety.

I would not use test kits or vaccines unless the FDA has approved the product. There are all kinds of scammy COVID related products out there right now thanks to poor oversight.

It's just a damn shame the scientists needed to give mixed messages to keep their jobs at first. No unified scientific opinion and example from the top has contributed to dumb threads like this that attempt to cast doubt on solid science.

BTW, I worked with a scientist who was a Thalidomide baby. He was amazing to watch in the lab back in test tube days.

Edited to correct it's to its grammar error. It are bad to use wrong it's!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2020 11:45AM by dagny.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 03:10AM

I will gladly take your Covid vaccine dose.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 03:17AM

summer: the scorched-earth approach to internet debate.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 10:16AM

Unless I'm mistaken, the only "vaccine" out there now is one developed by the Russians and hurriedly put on the market by their dictator, Vladamir Putin, who claims it cured one of his daughters (sic). The WHO is reportedly in talks with the Russians to get samples of this vaccine for testing. From all accounts I've read and heard (from NPR and other sources), this vaccine developed by the Russians has not been widely tested and nobody really knows if 1) the claims are valid; and 2) what side effects this supposed vaccine might cause in some recipients.

So, for the moment, I'll agree with the OP but reserve the right to change my mind once a well-tested vaccine with full information about possible side effects has entered the marketplace.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 05:57PM

Very reasonable approach, blindguy. I want the adequately tested one too. ASAP but not prior to the tried and true method of effective vaccine development is completed. Unfortunately, it is usually a lengthy process. If safety is the top priority that is.

Date: August 17, 2020 07:14PM

I don't think anyone outside of Russia knows much about their Covid vaccine. It doesn't matter to me, because I won't be getting it, and no one I know will be getting it. The development for their vaccine does seem suspiciously fast.

We will be offered the Moderna vaccine, or the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, or the Phizer/BioNTech vaccine, etc. All of those are currently being put through massive trials. A friend of mine who worked in our state's premier emergency/critical care unit told me she would have no problem participating in a phase 3 trial. Nor would I. I will gladly take any of these or similar vaccines when they are offered.

I do understand why some might be reluctant. My attitude is I fear the disease a whole lot more than I fear the potential cure. I've seen people who know a whole lot more than I do about medical matters participate in these trials.

I meant it when I said, if you don't want the vaccine, fine. I will gratefully take your place in line.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 10:05AM

Too bad that vaccines do not "CURE" a disease.... All they can do is help PREVENT you from getting infected.

I am surprised that the orange wonder has not given Putin a few Billion dollars of our money to get a bunch of doses of this concoction that the Russians came up with.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 04:00PM

I'll save your life and take that dose for you!

(Of course -- I'm beholden to no belief)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 07:01PM

Not to worry, people. the few people who haven't been cured by hydroxychloroquine can now use oleandrin, an extract of the poisonous oleander plant.

In a meeting of Dear Leader, with Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson and Secretary of MyPillow Mike Lindell (but no participation from either FDA or CDC), the botanical got rave reviews.

Meanwhile, Drs Fauci and Birx have been sidelined by the appointment of a new White House medical advisor, Dr Scott Atlas, a senior fellow at the Hoover Institute. The traditional solution for dealing with a messenger who brought bad news was to shoot the messenger, but the current administration, being more humane than that, and not wanting to deal with the paperwork involved in shooting the messengers, just bought a new messenger.

Oleandrin, and a new med advisor! And they say Dear Leader isn't being pro-active. Pshaw, I say!

Edit to add: Dr Atlas is a neuroradiologist. Virologist or epidemiologist would be nice, but apparently the Hoover Institute was fresh out of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2020 07:05PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: August 17, 2020 07:08PM

That's all well and good, BoJ. But your troubles would be over if you'd just have some more of that delicious Kool-Aid.

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 10:27PM

Perhaps Dr. Atlas will now immediately proceed to the large-scale Phase 3 disinfectant & UV light trials.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 07:42PM

There are different kinds of vaccine. They are not all equal in how they work and their inherent safety.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 17, 2020 08:38PM

I am prepared to stay in my near hermit state until Health Canada signs off on a vaccine. I am glad I live here.

Date: August 17, 2020 08:50PM

Yeah, well you'd better build that wall because otherwise we are coming to get you.

Date: August 17, 2020 10:40PM

I don't doubt that, LW. Surprised Orange Guy hasn't threatened to build one here yet.

Date: August 17, 2020 10:43PM

He's banking on the likelihood that COVID-19 will force Mexico and you lot to pay for the walls.

"My how the tables have turned," LW says with an evil grin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2020 10:44PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 18, 2020 12:29AM

I ain't payin' for no fucking wall...and given the shit storm surrounding our useless Prime Minister, I doubt he'd be interested either.

Date: August 18, 2020 02:00AM

Well then you must prepare yourself for the hoards of refugees swarming across the border like locusts, bringing their bad manners and viruses in tow.

Date: August 19, 2020 10:06PM

Is that you, caffiend?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 02:09AM

They never do. Gutless wonders never follow through on their threats. Or promises. Or whatever.

Date: August 18, 2020 02:18AM

Anthony Hopkins once said the only time you should listen to an actor is when he is speaking someone else's words.

To be fair, I think those were not someone else's words.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 10:02AM

Ha! Finally a needed cleverness on a dreary morning.

Date: August 19, 2020 10:08PM

We aim to please, Dear D&D!

Date: August 18, 2020 09:57AM

I'm always amused when celebrities announce their political endorsements. Why would I care who they are voting for? I could understand if it were a part of a longer interview where they are discussing their lives, values, etc. But to just expect that anyone would care about their endorsement strikes me as being rather pompous.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 10:08AM

What’s worse, a vaccine released too early, possibly killing and maiming 100s of thousands (if not millions), or this:

Australia: “High powered drones will be used to find people not wearing masks, and cars too far from home.”

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1295277876665671681?s=20

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 05:09PM

From Pulse News Mexico via the conservative commentary site AmericanThinker:

"The London-based biopharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca signed an agreement with Mexico’s Carlos Slim Foundation on Wednesday, Aug. 12, to produce a covid-19 vaccine in both Mexico and Argentina to be distributed without economic profits throughout Latin America."

A different corporate distribution will be used for Brazilian distribution. Nice to hear--provided the vaccine is tested safe and effective, of course.

The article in full:

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/08/carlos_slim_to_the_rescue.html

Date: August 19, 2020 07:55PM

That's the Oxford vaccine. What a blessing for the people in those countries!

Date: August 18, 2020 05:17PM

These billionaires are such brave people and an inspiration to us all!

They are so strong we never get to see them take the medicine they are giving to other people freely.

Date: August 18, 2020 05:27PM

Ah yes, the conspiracy theory.

Tell us, MML, have you shown yourself to the world taking your Pepsid AC or applying your hemorrhoid cream?

Date: August 20, 2020 05:47PM

There is nothing conspiracy about it.

If people still are believing other people aren't doing things for money and always have their best interest in mind might as well head back to church.

Date: August 20, 2020 05:55PM

Yeah, well if those billionaires are "doing things for money," they'd better stop distributing the drugs "freely."

There is also the argument, beloved of those of us who think capitalism generally works, that a free market produces a convergence of interests between producers and consumers.

So there's that.

Date: August 21, 2020 09:00AM

Companies have made money off of every vaccine you've ever gotten. Those vaccines have staved off (both individually and collectively) some very serious diseases. Just because someone makes (a modest) amount of money off of helping you, doesn't mean they don't want to help you.

We also have the FDA, which has a very tight control over which vaccines and drugs do or do not come to market. And there are peer-reviewed journals in which the entire medical community can take a long, hard look at the data which is produced from vaccine trials. So there are checks and balances.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 10:07PM

not fooled anymore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for all of you that are so eager to take the
> rushed covid vacine, think!...

I won't take anything. I won't even give it a chance. I don't take drugs. Especially fake ones, or stupid ones, or weird or unproven ones.

If it grows on a bush, shrub, or tree, I'll take it; pick it myself; keep myself healthy.

My medicine is: Sunshine, fresh (and salt) Water, wild food, plant medicine, good friends and cheer, free thoughts, natural beauty, a keen outlook and love all around, the only sound to be found.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 10:45PM

Natural plants do not equal safe.

Date: August 21, 2020 10:59PM

Oh shit!

I KNEW I shouldn't eat that hemlock!

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 11:35PM

Your cows, and chickens, and hogs eat them.

And those "unnatural" products you buy. They can't be natural.

Date: August 22, 2020 02:45AM

In the year 1850, the average life expectancy for both men and women from age 5 (which excludes infant deaths) was about the mid-50s. Now it has risen to the mid-70s and low-80s.

What has made the difference? Good nutrition, yes, but also vaccines and medicines have played an important role.

I understand wanting to limit taking medicines to what is essential, but sometimes medicines *are* essential. Our ancestors from the 1800s and before would have loved to have had access to what we have available today.

Date: August 22, 2020 02:55AM

Oh, I don’t know. Who doesn’t want to die from a scratched knee or smallpox?

Modern medicine has cost us so very much...

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 12:13AM

I know what you're trying to say, but please understand that Thalidomide is currently widely and successfully used today, and has black-box warnings and contraindications to ensure propery use.

Thalidomide has several mechanisms of action: a hypnosedative effect, several immuno-modulatory properties and an anti-angiogenic action. Thalidomide has been used in several cutaneous inflammatory disorders (such as erythema nodosum leprosum in lepromatous leprosy, cutaneous lupus erythematosus, severe aphtosis), cancers (relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma) and inflammatory conditions. Several side effects are associated with thalidomide: teratogenicity, peripheral neuropathy and deep venous thrombosis; some are minor, such as somnolence or abdominal pain and endocrinologic disturbances. Use of thalidomide is strictly controlled with close adherence to a birth control program and close monitoring for early development of peripheral neuropathy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.