Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 07:09PM

So - Why not a good explanation of what was removed and how LDS teaching address that removal?

How about a good explanation of what is there that is not "translated correctly" so members will know what is going on?

It is such a big deal that it is mentioned as an Article of Faith - but finding an explanation is nearly impossible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 07:28PM

My continual question has been which parts are not translated correctly? and
Where is the approved list of music that can be performed in sacrament meeting? and
why is it still OK for those who advocate killing unborn children to bless the sacrament and enter the temple?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 07:28PM

I personally would like to know what parts of the BoM they claim are translated correctly.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 07:36PM

Why won't LD$ Inc. tell us which parts are translated incorrectly ?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 07:53PM

That would take someone with prophetic abilities.

Date: September 14, 2020 07:56PM

They have pathetic abilities.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 09:04PM

All thumbs, they are!

Date: September 14, 2020 09:23PM

Yoda ... is it really you ?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 11:01AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have pathetic abilities.

I'll add my two thumbs up to that, Dave.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 09:11PM

I believe that this phrase "as far is translated correctly" was in reference to the Bible. The phrase is something like "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of god". This gave the Joseph Smith the right to use the Bible when it was convenient for him, while claiming that it wasn't translated correctly when what the Bible said was something he didn't agree with. He also claims to have re-translated the bible himself, a version of the bible that the church believes today is the most perfect translation of the Bible. Just like the Book of Mormon, it's all fraud anyway.

Posted by: KentishTKCTP ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 10:25PM

Wasn't the so called Inspired Version supposed to correct all the mis translations. Smith himself declared it finished but it is not used. I suspect because it clearly does not pass muster under scrutiny of experts.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 10:48PM

The Church of Christ formerly the reorganized church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints publishes Joseph's bible translation under the title of Holy Scriptures and I sometimes see it as Inspired Version.

It is available online.

For many decades the LDS version of the bible has contained footnotes referring to Joseph's translation with an appendix in the back for changes larger than a footnote.

The Book of Moses in the pearl of great price is the first of Joseph's changes to Genesis.

The main reason the Brighamites never published the inspired version is that Emma had the manuscript on Joseph's death and kept it from Brigham. She gave it to her son when he formed his own church.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 11:58AM

"The main reason the Brighamites never published the inspired version is that Emma had the manuscript on Joseph's death and kept it from Brigham."

You'd think God's One and Only True Restored Church on Earth would have a good answer. So to entertain myself I looked at FAIR, and here's a couple of gems:

"The answer to this question is a complex one. There is no single reason why we don't use the JST as "our" Bible."

"At this time there was a great deal of animosity between the LDS and RLDS churches; Brigham Young believed that the RLDS church had tampered with the JST text and that it didn't accurately reflect Joseph Smith's original translation. This mistrust — along with the fact that the LDS Church did not own the copyright to the work — kept the Utah Saints from embracing the JST."

God doesn't give revelations about copyrights because lawsuits? :-)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 10:57AM

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 03:59PM

Well we know that the bible got these right
Creation
Adam and eve and the outside of the GoE was in the USA
Cain and abel
Noah and world wide flood
Literal tower of babel
Literal Abraham, more literal than you can believe
Literal Jacob/Israel and kids
Literal joseph and famine
Literal Moses
Literal exodus including menorah info that predates all examples by over a 1000 years
Genocide of canaan

All the wackiest parts of the OT are verified in other LDS scripture.

All the forgeries of the NT are also verified.
Jesus lineage of Matthew
The long ending of Mark
The bloody sweat of Luke
Woman taken in adultery in john
Johannine comma
The forged letters of Paul plus the other apostolic letters that are all forgeries. 6 of Paul's letters are considered authentic by scholars.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 05:19PM

IMO: This was just his way of giving himself an 'out' should his 'divinely'-inspired work be criticized by others---after all, remember, he was just a country boy with a little education.

Nevertheless, he sure knew how to tale a tale with his imagination working just fine.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 07:52PM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMO: This was just his way of giving himself an
> 'out' should his 'divinely'-inspired work be
> criticized by others---after all, remember, he was
> just a country boy with a little education.
>
> Nevertheless, he sure knew how to tale a tale with
> his imagination working just fine.

He might have had little formal education but the dude was a brilliant con man

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 02:14AM

Scapegoat.

Excuse-

Joseph said "translated correctly" because he didn't know what he was talking about and he was trying to push his book.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 01:31PM

When I first learned about the Book of Abraham issue, I felt as if every other mormon had heard of it, had come to conclusion about it.

I went to my closest friend and asked him "what's your take on this book of abraham thing?" and he smugly replied "I believe it to be true as far as it is translated correctly" and I knew then and there that he didn't know a thing about it.

I smiled to myself and let him think his thinks.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 05:08PM

It was a brilliant move by Smith to discredit what you find in the Bible to challenge Mormonism. You find something in the Bible that shows Mormon teachings are not true, and Mormons just shrug and say, "Not translated correctly."

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 10:46PM

Interesting that those in charge make a big deal of it(or - they used to) but have never clarified things so the members know what "The Truth" is. What has been taken out or not "translated correctly".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.