Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 05:15PM

In all my hundreds and hundreds of sacrament meetings I never saw anyone raise their hand to not sustain a member and vote against for a calling. Has anyone else seen a raised no vote?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 05:17PM

No one dared raised their hand to dissent, and if anyone did, it didn't matter anyway.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 05:30PM

...It was at the El Cajon spanish ward and it was when the new bishop was called. The former 1st counselor and his entire family (some of which showed up from other towns) stood up and raised their hands in opposition. It was a pretty big scandal.

The person being sustained as bishop was the former 2nd counselor and the 1st counselor thought he was entitled to the position.

My companion and I couldn't believe it was really happening. I went back to that ward at the end of the sales trip and there was still drama going on.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 05:32PM

I Nearly crapped! (only two choices, mind U).

Me? I 'failed' to sustain a SP once, but I only mustered the courage to raise a finger... behind wife's back.

hint: they're RIGGED!

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 06:43PM

I seen it once. They were voting on a member being put into the bishoprick when a man stood up and opposed him. The man being voted on was a son of the stake leadership members. Anyway,,the man who voted against him was taken into the bishops office and over ruled. All good buddy system.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 07:10PM

It's just another form of bowing your head and saying, "Yes." or an act of apathy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 07:11PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 07:20PM

Can't remember if it was Sacrament or Priesthood meeting but when the Bish asked everyone to sustain my friend who was 12 and was being sustained as Deacons President his older 14yr old brother rose his hand to oppose. Everyone started laughing.

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 09:45PM

I did ... it was overseas and someone raised a hand against a district president. It was funny, nobody knew what to do, but eventually they just took the person aside, talked to him, but no change was made.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 11:34PM

Saw it once in my home ward. It was definitely an eyebrow raiser.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 11:39PM

HOLY SHIT!!!

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:07AM

I saw it once, as a teen in our well-to do So. California stake.

The new stake president picked his best friend as his first counselor, and all the people this guy had screwed over in business voted against him.

Of course, they were overruled.

Sure enough, the problems in that stake were never ending over several years.
The mess culminated in some court cases, whereupon one of the 12 finally came down and picked a new stake presidency.

Posted by: yeehah ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 04:00AM

Yep,new bishop gets called.Everyone thinks it will be current HPGL. It isn't. HPGLs wife puts up her hand to not sustain the new bishop. HPGLs wife thinks being bishop is like a promotion in a big corporation with status attached and gets huffy because her husband didn't make the grade. Footnote:The new bishop loses his paid job in a very short time and moves out of the ward. HPGL gets the bishop gig because nobody else in their right mind would want the job.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 08:23AM

It never means anything. They go on with the meeting, sometimes say they will meet with those people after the meeting and I'm sure all they do is chastise them for not having faith in the Lard's annointed or something. I've never seen it mean anything. That's why I never raised my hand to oppose anyone, but a number of times I would purposely not raise my hand to sustain someone and I know one time someone called me out on it. I just told them that I wasn't going to lie and say I sustain someone who I do not.

Posted by: Mrs. Solar Flare ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 09:06AM

So this new Baptist Church we're attending also does the "sustaining" thing. My husband and I almost fell off our chairs the first time they did it!!

"So all who sustain XXX to be a member of the Personnel Committee signal by lifting up your right hand", and the ENTIRE congregation lifted up their right arm and said........

A very loud AMEN!!!!

Since we'd never heard an entire congregation say that before, it was quite stunning.....

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 09:46AM

in the ward I last attended here in Scotland.

They were sustaining a councillor for the bish, and a young single woman in the congregation raised her hand and voted against it.

Turned out he was having an affair with her, which is why she objected - and the bish already knew about it and was trying to push it through anyway. :O

Posted by: yolinda ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 11:58AM

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:47PM

My cousin saw one once. A man was called to be bishop. His wife raised her hand opposing because she didn't want him to never be around.

Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 01:01PM

Do they not include the wife in those meetings where they extend a calling? Seems like that would be a good time to resolve issues instead of doing it really publicly. If my husband accepted a calling as bishop without telling me - there would be "heck" to pay.

Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:59PM

I've always, always wanted to see that.

I did once see a single mom get called as a YW something-or-other, and when they asked to sustain her, her 10-year-old son raised his hand so high he almost dislocated his arm. Then he nudged his friend who was playing video games and was like "Hey, it's my mom!" and his friends raised their hands. That cuteness kept me coming to church for another two weeks.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 01:09PM

The bishop completely ignored it and thanked us for an unanimous vote. Didn't stay to see what happened to the dissenter. Democrazy!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.