Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:41PM

What do you you enjoy at christmas eve? Personally I eat lots of different candies, chocolates, sausages and meatballs. There is no ritual except that I eat more portions than I normally do. I drink some ice cold Coca cola and look up to the stars to see if I can see Santa Claus in his sleigh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 02:13PM

There's traditional Christmas Eve food? I thought you just had a handful (or more) of cookies like you've been eating for the previous two weeks, and call it a night.

The Airing of Grievances, and Feats of Strength, OTOH, a couple of beers goes well with that party. :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 02:15PM

If you want to see Santa Claus in the stars, there are better things to drink than Coca Cola.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 02:34PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you want to see Santa Claus in the stars, there
> are better things to drink than Coca Cola.
CocaCola is fine when it is added to an appropriate portion of Jamaican rum

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 07:27PM

So true! Rum and Coke is really nice. If marijuana is legal where you live, you can have certain candies or brownies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2020 07:28PM by doyle18.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 02:28PM

I usually go to a local buffet for christmas dinner. Occasionally I invite a female friend.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 02:40PM

My family has gone increasingly free-form when it comes to Christmas meals. It's always a nice meal, just not anything traditional. Thanksgiving is more traditional, though.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 02:59PM

Reindeer steaks for the heathens

Rack of Lamb of ghawd for the believers.

Yum!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 01:20PM

Great answer

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 01:46PM

I agree. We had reindeer in Finland the summer before last. Extremely tasty! And I'll go for lamb in any form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 01:47PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 07:59PM

I'm with you on lamb. Where I live preferably New Zealand lamb.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 03:28PM

Posole and tamales.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 06:54PM

Christmas is never quite right to me without traditional English Christmas Pudding...but never on Christmas Eve.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 07:06PM

I have the same traditional Christmas day meal as my Jewish friends: Chinese, usually dim-sum.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 01:18PM

This year I may not have Christmas..family far away..Covid restrictions etc....and thats ok. I may do a small pot roast in my crock pot, enjoy it with a glass or 3 of Merlot then get into the good scotch for the evening. My late wife (who was Catholic) and I would watch mass from St. Peter's on Christmas eve. Haven't been motivated to do that either. Got some movies on the PVR.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 01:44PM

We expect to have our 2 daughters and my BIL, who's an actor and theatre director and is full of fun anecdotes.

Our main dish for Christmas here in our family in France with our totally unbelieving French family is always... oysters. I spend an hour opening a hundred or so and we gorge, old-style, with no cooking involved. My wife also makes one of their (atheist Russian Jewish ;-) family's signature dishes, involving smoked herring, apple, onion and a bit of olive oil, all mixed up together. It is the most surprisingly wonderful dish I know ;-). Ambrosia can't touch it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 06:21PM

I'm going with Mexican christmas food just to own the republicommies.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 07:14PM

We have all of the traditional Christmas foods. My husband’s mom was Ukrainian, so we also always have perogies and cabbage rolls. The year my granddaughter was born, we had Christmas with my daughter, her partner and his family. His mom is Costa Rican, and the whole group of us made Tamales together. They were heavenly!

I don’t know yet what this year will be like, but my husband and I are prepared to be on our own this year, as Covid is running rampant. It will be very sad not to see our kids and grandkids, but it’s been that kind of year hasn't it?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 08:09PM

Does the McRib qualify?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 07:39PM

I miss my aunts authentic fruit cake. The kind that takes months to make. Nice and moist with grandpa's homemade brandy.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 06, 2020 03:13PM

Is your cake really dark in color? I am wondering if it is the same as what generally is called Christmas Cake in England. My mother always made one that included brandy in the mix for moisture and preservation. It was always covered in marzipan and white icing the decorated with Christmas themed decorations.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 14, 2020 06:20PM

Big English breakfast is a tradition on Christmas morning set to tide us over until the big Christmas feast mid afternoon (if nothing else English Christmases are about feasting). This year it will be helped along with a big order of goodies from Parker's that includes English bacon and pork sausages (bangers).

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 09:05PM

Since I’ll be alone I might just order Chinese. My Jewish friends do it every year.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 06, 2020 12:30PM

My tradition is to make turkey enchiladas from the frozen leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 02:09PM

I usually make green corn tamales and red enchiladas.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 02:24PM

Chips and Salss spicy enough?

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 02:31PM

After several years of making a large meal, we downsized and just started having grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. The kids were just as happy, and we weren't killing ourselves cooking.

Date: December 07, 2020 02:42PM

I have not had a grilled cheese Earl of Sandwich in over 65 years!!

I hope I can find a decent recipe...

Also, are you runtu, the Bolivian RM?

Date: December 07, 2020 02:45PM

Yep, that would be me.

Date: December 07, 2020 02:47PM

Big fan! Long time listener, first time caller!!

Date: December 07, 2020 02:51PM

Thanks. I haven't been around much. Just posted to let anyone interested about my interview on RFM.

Date: December 07, 2020 02:53PM

Now it means something! Using your real-life name left me totally uninterested!!

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 07:31PM

The only thing that has become a tradition is that my dad makes a chocolate mousse that TBM's would be offended by as it has brandy and coffee in it. It has to be made the day before because it takes overnight to set in the fridge. The meal varies based on whatever my brother and SIL feel like cooking, as it's at their place.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.