Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 06:12PM

Earlier this month, I started a thread here to see if anyone knew if msr-confrec@ldschurch.org was still a valid email address for submitting resignations. I wondered if they had a new address without the evil “LDS” designation. Since nobody who responded was aware of a new address, I submitted my resignation to msr-confrec@ldschurch.org.

Well, either that is still the address, or it automatically forwards to a new address, because it only took seven days for me to receive a letter from SLC.

They either didn’t read, or they ignored, what I wrote. For what it’s worth, here’s what I said:

I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, effective immediately.

As I’m sure you know, the moment you received this email, I ceased to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so there is no point in going through the pretense of this being a "local ecclesiastical matter." I expect to receive a letter confirming the fact I am no longer a member, and that the records of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reflect that fact. Other than that letter, any communication from you, or visits from church leaders, would be unwarranted and unwelcome.

I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.

========================
This was their response:
“Our office has been asked to acknowledge your request for resignation of membership from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“We have also been asked to inform you that the Church considers such a request to be an ecclesiastical matter that must be handled by local priesthood leaders before being processed by Church employees. Therefore your membership resignation request and a copy of this reply are being forwarded President XXX of the XXX Stake. He will have Bishop XXX of the XXX Ward concerning the fulfillment of your request.”
======================

They used the word “request” four times—I didn’t request anything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 06:14PM

You are out of the church. Nothing they say can obviate that.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 07:23PM

Exactly. Note that they did not say you were still a member until the local ecclesiastical leader jumped through a hoop.

They try to make it feel like you have to jump through hoops, but it is really hoops for themselves. You are done. You just wait for them to process their paperwork.

Date: January 21, 2021 06:36PM

Here's the email I just sent:

As you can see from my email below, I resigned my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints effective 14 January 2021. I didn't "request" anything, I resigned my membership. I have the legal right to freedom of association, and my constitutionally guaranteed right to freedom of religion. Resignation is 100% my choice, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has no say in the matter. If you consider it to be a local ecclesiastical that's your internal red tape, it has no effect on the fact that I am no longer a member.

I find it insulting that you referred to my resignation as a "request." I also find it disrespectful that you force President XXX and Bishop XXX to go along with this pretense when neither of them have any say in this matter.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 22, 2021 12:26PM

+1billion

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 06:46PM

hooray for Hollywood
where you're teriffic if you're even good!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2021 06:47PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 06:56PM

It's essentially their generic "Dear Sir/Madam" form letter. They like to pretend they're in control of the process, and (if possible) make you think they're not only in control, but that they're being magnanimous by granting your "request."

Everything in your response was accurate. You are out, and it's their problem.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 07:13PM

It is the same hard copy form letter they have been using for over 20 years. You are out :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 09:54PM

Gosh! If you won't meet with the bishop, what horrible fate awaits you?

Date: January 21, 2021 10:03PM

Maybe I won’t be allowed to clean the chapel.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 22, 2021 11:21PM

Chapel schmapel!

They’re not gonna let you clean toilets.

So there...

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 01:22AM

They would probably let anyone clean the chapel who is willing.
Beggars can't be choosers.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 11:55PM

I'd have been quite content having an UNbaptism, where the whole family and entire stake is at stake, make no mistake, to see your MORMON sins (following and associating in mormonland) washed away...

Knowing the truth in mormonism, the holy ghost returns, and is found to be just a little saint in a sheet anyway.

MORMONISM: Easy to get in (dunk, you're dead), Hard to get out (what you put in).

Mormon Water "baptism" = PAPERWORK... which equals the paper trail (like leaving bread crumbs so you can find your way back) that Mormonism convicts you of, Until You Resign, freeing you of a future of dogma, karma, and other useless wastes of energy and nonsense.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 22, 2021 07:23AM

Thanks for reporting back. The local bishop may try to contact you to confirm that it's really you and that you truly wish to resign. You can either fully ignore that, or tell him to go ahead and process the request. For safety reasons during a pandemic, I wouldn't open the door to any stranger. You can talk through a closed and locked door if you wish to talk to him at all.

If the final notice is not sent to you within a 60 day timespan, contact Member Records once again, and that department will complete the processing. Sometimes the local bishops delay on their end of things for whatever reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2021 03:29PM by summer.

Date: January 22, 2021 10:08AM

I don't know this bishop, but even if I did, there's no way I'll have a face-to-face conversation with him at this time. I hope he'll be wise enough to handle this by phone. When (if) I do talk with him, I'll be polite, but I'll begin the conversation by emphasizing the fact that I am not a member.

Date: January 22, 2021 12:17PM

Good,

It should be quick and painless (especially when compared to the bore, sickness, trauma and drudgery of Mormonism).

I'd refuse any email, text, or in-person anything [I was hoping for not even a phone call so didn't include my number in the letter but the local morons already had it].

And, as summer says, 1 quick call should be all you get (before a stupid letter confirming your freedom/ PRE & POST-eternal happiness)from a bishy.

"VOTE FOR SUMMER"
Napoleon Dynamite
(Vote For Pedro)

Posted by: God ( )
Date: January 22, 2021 12:24PM

Why do you think I gave you two middle fingers?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 22, 2021 01:13PM

Congratulations!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 22, 2021 02:41PM

See? I just don't want to go through this. Does it matter? Especially as a relatively short-term convert? I seriously do not want to have to interact with them. Even by phone.

I know the bottom line is it's whatever I personally want, or what it means to me to get my name off their books. Except it's not ever entirely expunged is it?

So? Why bother?

I'm not questioning those who want to make their leave-taking formal. Just saying that if they keep your records anyway are you ever really out altogether. And if not, why go through the hassle? And of course I realize that for BICs it is different, very likely, than for converts.

If I thought they destroyed the records and so it would make a big difference I would do it. But it sounds like they will always keep their records of one's membership, and status, and so big hassle, no complete freedom from them?

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: January 22, 2021 02:45PM

Pathetic that they keep up the pretense they have any say.

Date: January 22, 2021 05:47PM

My bishop called this afternoon. He was very friendly, and the conversation was quite pleasant.

So, from clicking “send” on my email to the bishop saying he’ll finalize the deal was only eight days. Yes, I know it was actually final when I sent the email, but I’m happy with how quickly and smoothly things went.

Date: January 22, 2021 09:39PM

WOW (Word Ofthe Wise)!
That was quick, compared to mine, 2012-13. My call came about 3-4 weeks later (I slug mailed it, though snails take all the load, and the credit). Then a faux letter (more like a number) arrived a few weeks after that.

You might get the apology card a few weeks from now, saying how sorry they are to see you go [FORWARD].

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.