Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 10:43AM

And will he chose Betty or Veronica as queen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Doughboy Fiend ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 10:48AM

I remember the time he pulled me to safety under blistering enemy fire. I was losing blood, and consciousness. I looked up at his rock-jawed face. "You're a prince," I gasped. The last thing I remember until I came to in the field hospital. Lovely Princess Margaret was hovering over me, mopping my fevered brow.

Phillip was a true warrior, right to the very end. He scored many victories, especially in the battles against unhumanistic, ungreen architecture. Such a pity he didn't live to see final victory over "global warming," his last conflict.

The Royals are truly a class unto themselves.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 10:52AM

RIP. Another candidate for baptism of the dead, surely?

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 12:39PM

"Philip had an itinerant childhood, educated variously in the UK, France, and Germany."

Makes him sound homeless rather than privileged beyond measure.

Tyson

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 02:48PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 04:14PM

Tyson Dunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Philip had an itinerant childhood, educated
> variously in the UK, France, and Germany."
>
> Makes him sound homeless rather than privileged
> beyond measure.
>
> Tyson

I get your point. He was born into European royalty:

Wiki:

"Prince Philip ... of Greece and Denmark was born in Mon Repos on the Greek island of Corfu on 10 June 1921, the only son and fifth and final child of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg. A member of the House of Glücksburg, the ruling house of Denmark, he was a prince of both Greece and Denmark by virtue of his patrilineal descent from George I of Greece and Christian IX of Denmark, and he was from birth in the line of succession to both thrones.

"... his mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia and placed in an asylum, and his father took up residence in Monte Carlo. Philip had little contact with his mother for the remainder of his childhood."

I believe these details of his childhood (a mother who was schizophrenic and a father who was "a gambler" - a pursuit not well thought of at that time) are what people are referring to when they say he had a rough start or words to that effect.

The following also casts light on a difficult period in his family life:

"The war [WWI] went badly for Greece, and the Turks made large gains. Philip's uncle and high commander of the Greek expeditionary force, King Constantine I, was blamed for the defeat and was forced to abdicate on 27 September 1922. The new military government arrested Prince Andrew, along with others. The commanding officer of the army, General Georgios Hatzianestis, and five senior politicians, were arrested, tried, and executed in the Trial of the Six. Prince Andrew's life was also believed to be in danger, and Princess Alice was under surveillance. Finally in December, a revolutionary court banished Prince Andrew from Greece, for life.[8] The British naval vessel HMS Calypso evacuated Prince Andrew's family, with Philip carried to safety in a cot made from a fruit box. Philip's family went to France, where they settled in the Paris suburb of Saint-Cloud in a house lent to them by his wealthy aunt, Princess George of Greece and Denmark."

So Philip ends up in circles where he comes into contact with the British Royal Family and ends up marrying the monarch-in-waiting. Yeah, vastly privileged life overall. But not one he would necessarily have chosen, except for his abiding love for Princess Elizabeth, who became Queen and he had to tag along.

He managed to make his life experience into an ongoing legacy though through his many charities and initiatives. He made something good out of his role, iow.

Would that we could all say the same. It's about all we can ask for and hopefully achieve.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 12:06AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 12:58PM

The royal family didn't want Elizabeth to marry him because he was a foreigner and was destitute but she was madly in love with the dashing naval officer and true love prevailed.
My mom was a fine Scottish woman and committed royal family supporter and Prince Chuck and I are the same age so I was immersed in it from an early age.
Phillip was the Queen's rock for over 70 years. RIP.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 02:49PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 08:35PM

Well there is that...hehe....I don't have his ears and I have a lot more hair!! My looks are a question for BYU Boner...he's seen me...

Date: April 09, 2021 04:00PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> My mom was a fine Scottish woman

Mine too, LR. Greatly missed.

> Phillip was the Queen's rock for over 70 years.
> RIP.

Absolutely. He did his duty. Which in past days and some quarters is a compliment and recognition of the highest order.

He didn't hesitate to speak his mind though. And people loved him for it. Even the journalists he tolerated, barely.

I've been happy for Queen Elizabeth that she and Prince Philip were able to spend the COVID year & a bit together in Windsor Castle, among their favourite places, rather than in London with the Queen away on her innumerable commitments. Her usual schedule would have taken her away from him for many days. At least they were together, in peace, in a home they loved, for their last speck of time together. They both deserved that.

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things but it would have been fun if he had stayed alive long enough to receive his letter from the Queen on the occasion of his 100th birthday, which would have been in June, I believe. He only just missed it.

He didn't want a State funeral, which fits with his character, and it wouldn't have been done anyway, due to the pandemic and the situation they face in the UK due to it. So he's resting in peace, as they say, at Windsor Castle. I feel for the Queen who must feel bereft. Also lonelier than usual due to visitor restrictions at the moment. Perhaps she is grateful for the quiet time alone though. She can just feel what she feels instead of having to put on a brave face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2021 04:16PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 09, 2021 08:14PM

I had read that she had always loved him but I had NO CLUE it was since age 13!

I envy her that. I didn't know what I wanted at age 25.

PS: To clarify: That was when she first met him and instantly felt attracted. Fortunately for them both, it stuck and it worked out (in a period when she could have been directed towards someone her parents and/or handlers chose, due to the machinations of the royal mill) and it lasted. You couldn't really ask for anything more, whether you're destined to be the Queen of England or the Duke of Absolutely Nothing at All.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2021 08:17PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 01:27PM

did he died OPie ? ~

lets hope the queen remarries ~

to save the kingdom ~

(oO)
/||\

why was he not king ? ~

if he had married the queen ? ~

ziller am confuse ~

(OO)
/||\

that adrenochrome ~

can only do so much good ~

the reaper still wins ~

(oo)
/||\

may flights of devils ~

wing him to his just reward ~

hell just got hotter ~

~\|||/~
~(0o)
~/||\~

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 04:49PM

ziller Wrote:
> lets hope the queen remarries ~
> to save the kingdom ~

Whether she remarries or not is, so far as the line of succession goes, irrelevant.

Prince William has been next in the line of succession since Prince William's birth, which means (unless he were to die before he became king) he will be the next monarch.

> why was he [Prince Philip] not king ? if he had married the queen?

Prince Philip was never, at any time, in the British line of succession, so when he made his decision to marry the young woman who would, in the future, become Queen, he knew he would never be king.

Date: April 09, 2021 06:33PM

Just to clarify re line of succession: Prince Charles, being Queen Elizabeth's oldest child, is next in line, after the Queen's death. Upon Charles' death, Prince William, Charles' oldest son, will become king.

Camilla, Charles' wife, will likely be known as Princess Consort (or Queen Consort) and not Queen when Charles becomes King. When she married Charles she could have taken the title Princess of Wales (as he is the Prince of Wales) but she declined, reportedly out of deference to Princess Diana, who had held that title before her untimely death.

When Prince William becomes king, his wife Kate will be known as the Queen Consort.

I think it's after the Queen's death that the grandchildren will assume titles such as princess and prince - that has been part of the controversy re why Prince Harry's son is not currently called Prince Archie. It's not a slight - it's just the rules of succession. Which admittedly I am not all that familiar with when it comes to the innermost workings of it all.

Date: April 09, 2021 07:34PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> Just to clarify re line of succession: Prince
> Charles, being Queen Elizabeth's oldest child, is
> next in line, after the Queen's death. Upon
> Charles' death, Prince William, Charles' oldest
> son, will become king.

Excellent clarification, Nightingale--since I was totally mistaken!!

My apologies to everyone for the erroneous "information."

P.S. My special apologies go out to Prince Charles. He deserved better from me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2021 07:42PM by Tevai.

Date: April 10, 2021 01:04AM

No worries, T. He would chuckle. And appreciate your interest. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2021 01:04AM by Nightingale.

Date: April 10, 2021 01:35AM

Thank you, Nightingale!

:)

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 01:18AM

This was one of the big issues during the 1936 abdication crisis. It was proposed that Wallis Simpson marry the king morg-anatically, and not become queen. But there was "no legal mechanism" for such a match under the British constitution. She may ask to be referred to as "Chair of the Women's Institute" or whatever, but HM Queen Camilla she will be.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 09:21PM

But she will be called Queen just as the current Elizabeth's mother was called Queen when George V1 became king. She will just not be queen regnant.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 01:58PM

My sympathies to our British friends on your loss. Prince Philip served his adopted country honorably and well.

Date: April 09, 2021 02:00PM

summer Wrote:
> My sympathies to our British friends on your loss.
> Prince Philip served his adopted country honorably
> and well.

These are my thoughts and sentiments too.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 03:26PM

I agree Summer. And I am happy that Queen Elizabeth has had someone to lean on through her life. This will be a hard blow for her.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 03:22PM

Headline : "World's Most Experienced Plaque Unveiler" Is Dead

Date: April 09, 2021 04:16PM

Of note: Prince Philip gave himself that title.

Date: April 09, 2021 03:26PM

"The College of Arms has announced that Philip will not have a State Funeral. He will “lie in rest” at Windsor Castle and the Funeral Service will be held in St George’s Chapel within its walls. I presume he will be interred in the royal vaults there."

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 05:23PM

is there enough time ? ~

to destroy the seed royal ? ~

and marry the queen ? ~

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

ziller's royal house ~

would be firmly established ~

for one thousand years ~

ʕ•̫͡•ʕ

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 07:26PM

I couldn't care less. I wonder if he still wants to come back in the next life as a virus and kill off humanity. LOL! Stupid bastard.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 09:32PM

If you live outside the UK and the Commonwealth why should you care about events in other countries. The vast majority of the world could care less what happens within the US. My own view as English is that while I support the institution of the Crown I have less interest in the individuals, especially the fringe players.

Date: April 09, 2021 08:48PM

Headline : "Fox's Brian Kilmeade tries to pin Prince Philip's death on Meghan Markle's Oprah interview"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 08:52PM

So... Manslaughter?

Date: April 09, 2021 09:19PM

Yup. Meghan Markle killed a 99 year old man.
Scotland Yard is no doubt on the case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2021 09:28PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 10:28PM

or, will President Biden temporarily postpone his attention to domestic matters & go across the pond?

What is the without re-fueling range of AF1?

Date: April 09, 2021 11:31PM

I nominate Dave-t-A to represent the Ex-Mo community and extend our condolences.

:)

Date: April 10, 2021 01:11AM

No state funeral by Philip's request. No heads of state due to COVID. No crowd due to UK pandemic protocols. Even immediate family can't all attend. For once QEII gets a bit of privacy. And Prince Philip gets his own way at last.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2021 01:13AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 08:19AM

The Queen actually prefers things simple and low key. Yes. Not having a grand state funeral will make things easier on her. I’m a direct descendant of Edward IV. He’s interned in St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle. I understand Prince Phillip will be buried in the gardens at Windsor. I always enjoyed visiting Windsor.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 11:24AM

I wish Phillip had left a no holds barred memoir, an autobiography. I have little interest in the Royals, but, the portrayal of Phillip in the "The Crown", which he said he never watched (How could he not?), painted a portrait of someone caught in a spider's web, albeit a gilded one. My other half is a royalist and knows all the details of his life, and, doesn't like him. I saw a different scenario and could identify. Dearest was not amused at my empathy.

I would love to know how Phillip really felt many times as second and even third fiddle. Fourth even? Who counted only as an accessory. He is the only one who intrigues me. I find the rest rather boring. I am sad he took this to the grave.

I suppose it's too late for Andrew Morton to interview all his friends and get what can still be gleaned. He must have confided in someone.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 11:50AM

> He must have confided in someone.

One can hope that it was his Sovereign.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 12:15PM

I believe this question remains:

Who (if anyone from the administration) from the U.S. will be invited and will attend his funeral.

It's customary, ya know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2021 08:44PM by GNPE.

Date: April 10, 2021 12:31PM

Funeral next Saturday. Televised. Harry going but not Meghan due to her pregnancy.

Harry will likely have to isolate for 5 days so will have to go early in the week.

Again, not even all close family members can attend due to COVID restrictions and travel is discouraged anyway so no heads of state in person.

It will, amazingly, be the way Prince Philip wanted it - "no fuss". Undoubtedly much easier on the Queen too.

She is reportedly at Windsor alone but it seems that one by one her children are visiting.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 06:51PM

I am glad that things worked out so it will be easier on her. To hell with all the protocol and pomp.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 06:57PM

It isn't the protocol as much as the personal attacks from the UK media.

Date: April 10, 2021 07:11PM

Personal attacks on the Queen?

But yes. A segment of the British press is brutal. I know that's what Meghan M complained of. And who could blame her? People believe headlines they read in rags sold at checkout counters. And if the payment wasn't so astronomically and stupidly high for possibly compromising photos of famous people the press pack wouldn't chase them as much. (As Princess Diana knew all too well).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2021 07:12PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 10, 2021 07:17PM

Yes, I was speaking of Meghan. My mistake.

Date: April 10, 2021 07:44PM

Oh sorry. I should have realized.

Date: April 10, 2021 07:51PM

No worries.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: April 10, 2021 08:41PM

the Vice President I hope

Date: April 10, 2021 12:15PM

If only he had home teachers to tell his story.

But Satan made sure the missionaries could never get anywhere near him. Thank heavens he can now be taught the gospel in spirit prison.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 14, 2021 12:45PM

In the fullness of time, the Prince might make it to the Celestial Kingdom...

Date: April 15, 2021 10:02AM

"In the fullness of time . . ." OMG I had forgotten that phrase. Laughing so hard. Some odd Mormony things like that just seem so ridiculous now, and, amusing. Makes me think the church is really just a bunch of phrases. Peculiar Mormon phrases. What are they without them?

The Mormons aren't sacred, or secular, but semantic?

Date: April 15, 2021 10:11AM

This is common to many subcultures (such as the military) but especially to cults: words and phrases that are distinctive, or even unique, to them. This shared semantic experience binds them, helps distinguish them from outsiders, and helps identify one to another.

For example, referring to "the Celestial Kingdom" instead of "Heaven," the "Savior" instead of "the Lord," or dropping a name or word from their scriptures. "I know, you know, we are of the group."

I often wore a USMC pin on my police uniform. At a traffic stop once, a guy tried to pass himself off as a Marine vet. A little conversation, using parlance unique to us Jarheads, and I knew he was a fake. I wrote him the ticket.

Date: April 15, 2021 01:07PM

caffiend Wrote:
> I often wore a USMC pin on my police uniform. At a
> traffic stop once, a guy tried to pass himself off
> as a Marine vet. A little conversation, using
> parlance unique to us Jarheads, and I knew he was
> a fake. I wrote him the ticket.

"I wrote him the ticket."

So you would have given him a pass if he'd been a Marine?

Not fair!

NG - still smarting from a $600.00 ticket I rec'd just after Christmas for being inadvertently two days late to renew my car insurance (overlooked due to the holidays and other significant factors, although I know there's no acceptable reason for driving without insurance). It was the first trip out since the Christmas break and I was literally across the street from home at a McDonald's drive-thru on my way to work. Just my luck - cop behind me in the line-up! I got a long lecture about the disastrous potential of driving without insurance and being involved in an accident. I know all that - it's why I have renewed my insurance faithfully for all my adult life. I also have never had an at-fault accident and have a clear general record. But I got the full-on lecture plus the hefty fine. When I went to pay it, the agent expressed surprise and said she's never seen anyone get a ticket for that but rather just a warning and a pass to go and pay their insurance asap. Why did I have to be the exception? Wah.

To add to my pain, the officer offered to attend court with me if I wanted to contest the ticket. He said he'd ask the judge to reduce the fine seeing as how I was "a reasonable person".

So couldn't we just skip the in-between part - issuance of the ticket? I didn't want to plead not guilty when I obviously was guilty. So I just paid the damn thing. But it hurt.

Then, to add to the pain further, they apparently never received my cheque in the mail. I only found out about that a few months later when I wanted to get insurance for a new vehicle I was buying and I couldn't because, they told me, the fine had not been discharged from my record. (I hadn't noticed that the cheque re the fine was still outstanding). I had to pay the bank $12.50 to stop payment on the errant cheque before I could traipse back to the insurance place to try again.

Yeah. I definitely won't forget about insurance this coming December or ever again, hopefully.

Should I have told the cop I used to volunteer with the police department? Would that have got me off with a (well-deserved) warning? It's not as good as being a Marine but it's as close as I can get!

Kind of kidding with this post. But true enough I'm not thrilled at favouritism. I had no evil intent and a clean record. I would have appreciated being one of the many, apparently, who are let off with a warning. But I have bad luck that way. Maybe that's why I've always stuck to the straight and narrow rather than being a rogue - because I always get caught - or feel so guilty it's not worth transgressing - and not because of belief in a higher power that wants me to behave. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 01:08PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 15, 2021 01:56PM

First, the non-Marine: The violation itself warranted a written warning. It was late at night, light traffic, a simple red-light violation. My department tracks traffic stops, not tickets, so as to prevent pressure to write tickets. Thus, I would have gotten a "stat" for job performance. He got the "courtesy upgrade," same as if he had said, "You stopped me because I'm Lithuanian, didn't you!?" Or, "I'm the mayor's senior associate assistant supervisor of tiddlywinks."

My answer would be, "I didn't know you were the mayor's senior associate assistant supervisor of tiddlywinks when I clocked you at 20 over the speedlimit, ma'am." Then I'd write her the ticket.

My department's policy for lapsed insurance was to tow the car (get it off the street) and issue a summons. Usually, the insurance violation would be voided, any moving violation(s) would stand, leaving the violator with the "mover(s)," a court fee ($50), and the cost of the tow. I was careful to inform these people what they needed to do to get their registration reinstated--there were a couple of paperwork steps that were often overlooked.

I think you got the worst of circumstances, your oversight compounded by a bureaucratic SNAFU. Your check was probably not "lost in the mail," but loused up in the DMV or court system, both often staffed by political appointees and being notoriously prone to clerical error. In my state, it was discovered that our DMV had failed to act on THREE years of out-of-state license suspensions on Massachusetts drivers. They had simply been piled in mail bins and ignored. This was discovered when a Mass driver, who had been suspended in Connecticut, killed several motorcyclists in New Hampshire--a Marine bike club, BTW.

Date: April 15, 2021 04:35PM

That was interesting, thanks caffiend.

My apologies to "anybody" (OP of this thread) and to Prince Philip (who wouldn't care even if he were alive, I'm guessing) for the thread derail. It was unintentional.

To caffiend: Re my ticket - the officer was kind enough at least to let me drive across the street to get out of the McD's line-up and park in a shopping mall lot (precisely so I wouldn't get towed). Then I had a half-block walk to an insurance place so I could renew.

I had no clue the government hadn't cashed my cheque to pay the fine (bad NG, not doing a bank reconciliation every month). The way I found out was that I was buying a new car and found out at the last second that I couldn't get it insured because of the supposedly outstanding fine. It felt like paying twice! I was afraid that as such SNAFUs go, the government insurance body would cash the cheque anyway, not noticing the fine was paid in cash by that time. As you say, losing cheques etc is not uncommon in these bureaucracies. In my province (B.C.) the government runs the insurance program and there's no competition. Enough said. :)

I shouldn't really complain as I've been stopped twice for speeding in the same hilly area (although it wasn't that fast and happens easily without intent on that hill) and I just got a warning both times. I was sure I'd get a ticket the second time. I had to laugh because I never drive over the speed limit (intensely infuriating to many drivers behind me) but on that one hill it's hard to keep to the low limit. The cops love to park behind the trees there and catch a lot of speeders, intentional ones or not. But wow, that $600.00 re the insurance sure hurt. Especially as it felt like I paid it twice. It was a pain all 'round.

That sounds brilliant, what your dept does, tracking stops, not tickets. Cuts down on the pressure to ticket, for sure.

Friends were critical of the officer in my situation as I was only a few days late with renewing my insurance, through an oversight, not intent - my insurance renewal papers were right on the front seat of my car when he stopped me but I had had an upsetting family experience at Christmas (just a couple of days before) and between the holiday and feeling upset I just overlooked doing the renewal even though the papers were within my sight - I just overlooked the pressing need.

I think he was a relatively new cop - he seemed very young and gave me quite the heated lecture about the repercussions of driving without insurance and getting into an accident (yes, I know that!). And he repeated it all twice. He looked appalled at my oversight and gave several examples of the dire consequences for both parties if I'd been in an accident with no insurance. I actually prefer that attitude than if an officer gets so jaded they don't care that much any more. As he offered to attend court and ask the judge to reduce my fine I wish he would have just not issued the ticket! I think he maybe calmed down as I turned out not to be a bad guy and also I didn't argue with him at all. I knew I was in the wrong so what is there to say?

I was worried about my cheque getting cashed at some point (as you say, it's likely lost in the system) so I had to pay the bank to stop payment - making my fine actually $612.50. The officer said it's the largest fine under the Motor Vehicles Act. I wish the chronic excessive speeders and careless drivers who caused accidents would get the biggest fines.

Policing is a difficult job. I know that, for sure. So I didn't give the cop any grief and appreciated his offer to help me in the end. But $600.00. Yowza. And especially as that car irretrievably broke down a few weeks later. Couldn't drive for a while. Didn't need insurance. I don't even know what you call that. Really bad luck maybe.

OK, I'll shut up now.

Sorry again, anybody, for the derail.

Now, back to Prince Philip. Yes, I'm getting up early to watch all the coverage of his funeral on Saturday. I like to see things myself as they happen, if possible, and not in later edited reports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 04:39PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 15, 2021 04:47PM

Date: April 15, 2021 05:02PM

Could anybody get or maintain life insurance at the age of 99?

I think QEII will be fine without it anyway! However, I do spare a thought for her undoubted distress at his passing.

It's a tremendous loss when a loved one dies at any age even though it's the expected nature of things.

Date: April 15, 2021 05:22PM

It's just that the Queen probably could have used the extra cash from the policy for the funeral so she didn't have to start a "Go Fund Me" page. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.