Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: April 15, 2021 04:51PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 06:56PM by Cold-Dodger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: April 15, 2021 06:56PM

I need to just stop posting stuff about that here. I keep seeking validation from others, and I need to stop that.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2021 07:30PM

Or do it in little snippets...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 03:34PM

Cold-Dodger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I need to just stop posting stuff about that here. I keep seeking validation from others, and I need to stop that.

Seeking validation for your feelings is what this board is all about.

You might consider making your posts and responses shorter. It can be discouraging for a reader to look at a big wall of text. As it is, I tend to read only some parts of what you write very closely, and just lightly skim the rest. If you are writing mainly to vent, then keep at it, but if you are looking for responses, then I would tighten it up. Just my opinion.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 15, 2021 07:51PM

Gabor Maté explains childhood trauma very well, having studied it for 40 years and written books. Look up interviews on YouTube.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 09:24PM

Appreciate immensely your tip on this terrific Doc....I ordered his book on my Kindle and have spent time today reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2021 09:26PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 15, 2021 08:04PM

Here is her writing about masturbation.
https://sunstonemagazine.com/the-mormon-therapist-neither-a-sin-nor-a-transgression/
Hmm the church says that the little factory

Date: April 16, 2021 03:29PM

C-D, it sounds like you were under the care of professionals whose judgment was severely compromised by their religion. Perhaps this could be expected at a religious school, but it is still disappointing. You think that medical professionals would respect the science under which they have been trained.

Date: April 16, 2021 03:53PM

https://youtu.be/R8Ao5McRb3k

If they excommunicate Natasha a sex and marriage therapists who as a medical professional is under oath to first do no harm. We all know that the lds teachings on virginity are very harmful. Brigham Young said that he rather has his daughter returned in a coffin than having lost her virginity. With the suicide rate being very high in Utah the lds church should not excommunicate those few who are fighting for them. The lds culture is toxic. Toxic perfection.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 07:25PM

I hope she gets exed. It would be another black eye for the church (intellectuals not welcome) and it would put her on the road to recovery.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 07:28PM

She's probably well on her way to recovery. I don't think she shares many of the church's values.

Date: April 16, 2021 07:30PM

What a nice compliment to give her!

Date: April 16, 2021 07:38PM

A tough woman, methinks; not afraid to call an ass an ass.

Date: April 16, 2021 08:04PM

At least you're not a shrinking Violent . . .

Date: April 16, 2021 09:57PM

Moi?

ETA: That's French, Jesus. It's classy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2021 09:57PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 17, 2021 12:58AM

She shares the values of a great many members of the church, as you know all too well from sad experience. But the squeaky wheels get all the attention and get to say what is and isn't permitted. Hence this website.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 09:22PM

Who you gonna believe? A trained therapist following the best practices of her profession or a bunch of old men, most of whom haven't had an original thought since at least the 1950's?

Date: April 16, 2021 09:58PM

She should wear her presumptive excommunication as a badge of honor.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 17, 2021 12:25AM

If she were to walk in to her church court meeting and hand the presiding leader there her written resignation from the church, then legally she would have resigned, not be excommunicated.

But like John Dehlin, she seems to value being kicked out of the church more than resigning from it. If she resigns first, she can still tell them they're running a cult on her way out the door too.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: April 17, 2021 03:33AM

In cases like hers, I like the idea of excommunication because it forces the church to own its position. The church has to own John Dehlin's excommunication. The church has to own Sam Young's excommunication. The church has to own the September Six. The church will have to own Natasha Helfer's excommunication. Those, and others, will forever be a stain on the reputation of the church that it cannot escape. In low profile cases, sure, tell the church to f*ck off and resign. But in higher profile cases, force the church to publicly own its backwards positions by making them excommunicate you.

Date: April 17, 2021 04:07AM

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Date: April 18, 2021 02:08PM

Moi aussie. (French for me also)

Date: April 17, 2021 08:11AM

alsd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In cases like hers, I like the idea of
> excommunication because it forces the church to
> own its position. The church has to own John
> Dehlin's excommunication. The church has to own
> Sam Young's excommunication. The church has to own
> the September Six. The church will have to own
> Natasha Helfer's excommunication. Those, and
> others, will forever be a stain on the reputation
> of the church that it cannot escape. In low
> profile cases, sure, tell the church to f*ck off
> and resign. But in higher profile cases, force the
> church to publicly own its backwards positions by
> making them excommunicate you.

Maybe the church thought that by excommunicating John Dehlin he would stop Mormon stories? John Dehlin got excommunicated in 2015. Mormon stories is still going strong.

https://www.natashaparker.org/
I don't think that Natasha will delete all her online blogs and forums.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: April 17, 2021 03:43PM

The church is so stupid (hi SCMC!) that it cannot figure out the the people it likes to excommunicate always end up like Obi Wan Kenobi, far more powerful than they can possibly imagine. These excommunications make the church look bad, and the excommunicated end up getting more attention.

Date: April 17, 2021 04:12PM

Yep. The church keeps giving us more martyrs.

Date: April 17, 2021 11:44PM

I say go ahead lds and keep the martyr number growing by leaps and bounds. This stupidity is getting rid of extremely bright, well-educated, dedicated and ethical members who are usually still tithe payers (from what I know).

Yes, stupid, stupid, stupid is the right description, and me thinks this adjective should be used always in introducing the clowns who think they are bestowed by Jesus and Gawd to run his church.

Date: April 17, 2021 11:49PM

Two things are remarkable here. The first is the church's amazing insistence on kicking out the people they should be trying to hold on to. The second is the contrast between how these thinking people and the Bundy crowd are treated.

Like it or not, the Q15 are inadvertently changing their target audience: give me your educated, your socially aware, your good-hearted so we can chew them up and spit them out. The Bundys of the world? That's our kinda people!

Date: April 18, 2021 12:15AM

'tis true, 'tis true....the lds clown show is getting not only smaller but dumber and hanging by the outer fringes by the second.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 01:53AM

The difference is that the Bundys of the church do not publicly criticize or challenge the church leaders or doctrine, and as a result are not perceived as threats to their authority.

Date: April 18, 2021 02:22AM

I think it's more cynical than that. The Q15 are conservatives, not populists, and hence would excommunicate Bundy and others who are harming the church's public image if they thought they could get away with it. But they know the LDS church is a Utah/Idaho/Arizona entity and a lot of members share Bundy's views.

To the degree that that is accurate, the failure to oust Bundy is the result of fear. It reflects weakness, not strength.

Date: April 18, 2021 02:15PM

I also think it is out of fear and reeks of weakness which should be, me thinks, one of the church's articles of faith.

....We believe and condone WEAKNESS and his is how we show the world to do it:

1. Condemn science.
2. Condemn facts.
3. Give new definitions to reason, reality, and truth.

Date: April 18, 2021 12:23AM

Either the prophet, his 2 apostles sidekicks, and the 12 official apostles (just like in the bible, right?) are in charge or they are not.

So if things need doing, it will come from the top, after the appropriate surveys have been conducted and the test market results have been tabulated.

Either ghawd is in charge or he isn't. And if he isn't, they'd tell us, right?

Date: April 18, 2021 01:41AM

The surveys are one of the funniest contradictions decorating the lds portfolio.

Mish: So then you are interested in the best church in the world? I just know you are going to love it. Oh, but wait, I know how you can be sure that is the case. Let me ask for a survey to be done by the church...they'll get back to us real fast and then you will know and be good to go. Sound like a plan?

Investigator: A survey? You've got to be kidding. You've been telling me you have a prophet who is able to speak and hear gawd. Why then would a survey be needed?????

Mish: Hey, come back. Don't leave. I promise the survey is real quick or, you know, we can certainly bypass it. I just thought you would like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2021 02:17PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: April 18, 2021 09:49PM

The whole survey thing goes back as far as at least 1990, probably longer.

Survey From Church Headquarters: Are you bothered or offended by the fact that when you went through the temple, we threatened to cut your throat open from ear to ear, and to slice your body open at the waist and chest level also if you ever reveal our secret handshakes, referring to these gruesome threats against you as a "penalty"?

Temple Recommend Holder: If it's okay with you guys, I prefer not to be threatened with these kinds of penalties. Maybe some lesser penalties would be okay i-i-if that's okay with you of course.

The Brethren Talking in Private: How dare these ungrateful Church members are? We keep them in line for their own good and now this. Let the prophet know that we better change the Endowment ceremony or we'll be exposed on the internet. It'll hurt our good image..... (you think?). While you're at it, fire all of the janitors. Let the members clean the toilets now. Close the kitchens, cancel the Gold and Green balls and the Roadshows. Grill the children about masterbation in their Bishop's interviews. If they don't like penalties we'll give them penalties.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2021 10:10PM by azsteve.

Date: April 18, 2021 10:17PM

The only remaining loose end that the church has is that when these abused church members go to a professional counselor with a mormon affiliation after this kind of abuse from the church, any counselor that doesn't guilt and shame them nor tell them to repent, needs to be excommunicated too. Leave them no where to go except back to the church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2021 10:20PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 11:33AM

A couple of years ago, I went to an lds marriage counselor. The marriage counselor spoke to my bishop and the bishop held several meetings about me int the ward that a attended.Hmmm patient or client confidentiality?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 12:15PM

You should know by now that there is no confidentiality in Mormonism. I can assure you that you came up in the Priesthood Executive Committee meeting, and in the ward council. The ward council is very problematic, indeed, because the council, if all show up, contains a huge cross-cut of the ward, and various names and problems are tossed back and forth with no thought of confidentiality. You had a problem. Sharing it with the bishop multiplied it by two. The bishop discusses it with his counselors; the problem is now multiplied by four. They bring it up in ward council; with 10 present, your problem is now multiplied by 14, and so on. I'm not even trying to guess about all the ward council or PEC participants talking to their spouses about you.

No confidentiality. My wife, an adult at the time, had to see the LDS family doctor about a problem that he believed needed intervention by the church. So, even though she was 21, he privately told her mother about it, which launched a series of events. I'm not sure it was an illegal act, but certainly unethical.

Date: April 19, 2021 01:06PM

Amen to the statement by Cludgie that "...there is no confidentiality in Mormonism." The Mormon Gossip Mill is a multi-billion acre establishment which is at the crux of the church.

The devastation and hurt this has caused throughout the history of this organization is so immense, ugly and devastating it is difficult to begin to describe. Natasha Helfer will be able to write a multi-volume tale narrating this if she so chooses.

My husband and myself, concerning our daughter's welfare, endured the depth of this experience years ago. The wrongful interference and then the betrayal we as parents felt was beyond vile, and the gossip which followed within the so called Church of Love was horrific. I know what it feels like to be in a position within the church community where you feel so degraded and humiliated without anyone taking the iniative to find out the facts and truth. Although we, my husband and I, did not have a disciplinary court held on us, we were tried and hung without one. And, we had been good parents who cared...not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but parents who gave our children time, investment and even fun!

This so called Church can roast in hell and go to hell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2021 01:13PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: April 19, 2021 01:12PM

Regarding your wife's breach of confidentiality with her physician, it's always been an ethical breach, and now it's a HIPAA violation. I believe that such breaches of confidentiality should always be reported.

Date: April 19, 2021 01:10PM

In some cases where the bishop/ward pays for the counseling, there may be an agreement that you signed that whatever you shared with your counselor could also be shared with the bishop.

If not, you should report this counselor to the appropriate state licensing agency for a violation of your confidentiality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.