Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 08:54AM

With sacrament meetings starting up, I was reminiscing about games we played in sacrament meeting to pass the time, especially when they were 90 minutes long.

We played

Connect the dots
Tic tac toe
Hang man

Even did homework when the meetings were separate and sacrament was as late as 6 pm meaning we got home around 8 pm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 09:14AM

I still remember how to make a "flea catcher" out of the sacrament program. One of the few things I remember from boring sacrament meetings.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 10:21AM

We would turn the hymn books into scavenger hunts by writing instructions to keep turning to specified pages. Yes, we wrote in the hymn books.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 11:40AM

Snicker. I did that too.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 12:42PM

but I loved it if I got a hymn book that been written in with a game in it.

We played hangman and tic tac toe if we thought to bring a pen or pencil or maybe our mom had one.

BORING!

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 03:44PM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 08:49PM

I went to a MC disService once, as an adult, and couldn't STAND the BS (boring speaker/ spiel), a steak conference, and was glad to play a new game MANY a member/ attendee wish to learn of or play: HEADPHONES!

It was GREAT! I couldn't hear a thing. The MUSIC was Worlds Better! The people behind me gave me the stink eye (I?)/ guilty-jealous-mad-envious/ I wish I could do that looks.

Might have been my looks.
I cooked the books.
I banned them...
After I burned them.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 10:35PM

I always tried to sit in a pew behind the family or couple where the man was leaning forward with his head in his hands. Usually the wife would rest her hand on his shoulder.

Being the stinker, I would tap the man's shoulder and it would cause a stir. He would become animated and question what she wanted. She was naturally clueless and would protest her innocence. Sometimes they would be arguing with each other as soon as the closing prayer was finished.

I could do this several times during SM and boy did it make the time pass by quickly!

I also engaged in other juvenile mischief such as spitballs during primary programs on the stand and throwing paper balls at people who were pricks as ph leaders (only during the opening prayer so they would not cause a "scene").

Don't worry. I was spanked many a times at church for all my irreverence in the chapel.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 10:49PM

My partner in crime discovered that if he leaned forward in the pew, he could swing his shoes at the bottom of the hymnbook holders and kick the bottom of the holder. A good enough kick would launch a dark blue hymnal airborne! A good game for naughty 6 year olds.

We only played this game during the singing because it drowned the obvious kicking sounds. My Mom finally caught me and slugged my legs~ her signal to cut it out. I persisted and got dragged out of SM when the song stopped.

My buddy also got dragged out by his mom too. Being the organist on the stand, she watched him misbehaving and had to wait for her to walk down and grab his wrist to go into the women's restroom for a good spanking.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 11:46PM

I hated SM..almost as much as I hated F&T.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 21, 2021 02:20PM

Staying awake was one helluva game

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2021 08:44AM

Writing “in bed” after every hymn title:
PRAISE TO THE MAN...in bed.
COME COME YE SAINTS...in bed.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 23, 2021 08:04PM

You look through the hymn book and after the title of each hymn, you add "...in the bathtub."

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 06:16AM

Spare a thought for the kids who have merely had to tolerate a Zoom SM over the past year. Imagine how they are going to feel when they are back in the meetinghouse. Off-topic I joined a Zoom SM last Sunday. One of the older members of the ward had tuned in, had muted the sound but not the camera. She had a great time during the meeting... watching TV. I guess she will be taken to task by the ministering brethren!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.