Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 06:08PM

I read a lot of threads about resigning from the church. Everybody has their own reasons but IMHO, I think it's a needless exercise. After my divorce, home teachers appeared out of the blue, none of who I had ever met or heard of, offering their help. After some discussions the conversations got a little heated (remember I just divorced a TBM). They sent me a letter to sign and return, which offered by resignation. I called them back and told them if I signed, I was recognizing the LDS church as a valid entity. I likened it to resigning from the Santa Claus or Easter bunny club. I never joined the LDS club, my mother made me join. I absolutely enjoy telling people I"m Mormon, it starts some very weird conversations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 06:16PM

I am still a mormon priest. The only people not impressed by this are mormons and ex-mormons.

Date: April 25, 2021 06:20PM

Last I'm remember, I'm a deacon. I think I can hand out bread and water.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 06:32PM

... more power can be generated by your pinkie finger than by all the hydro-electrical dams of the entire world!! If only you had the faith...

Why, your pinkie finger could cure COVID-19 AND cancer without breaking a sweat!!

Imagine what Global Faith Leader Russell Milhous Nelson could do if he had the necessary faith!!!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 04:46AM

And fairy dust, if he could shake some out of his magic underwear. Unfortunately, the Deseret Unicorn Breeding Program fizzled out in the late 20th century and the fairies quit. Garments aren’t what they used to be.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 06:36PM

Many people don't resign. It's an option for those who want it. As you know, some members are hounded relentlessly, and need to resign to get it to stop. Others don't want their names associated with the church any longer.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 07:05PM

That was my motivation. I didn’t want a fraudulent organization to consider me to be a member.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 07:16PM

The bishop got tired of having my name on his books. He lied and sent a letter claiming I'd asked to resign. At the time I didn't know the mormon church had such an option.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 09:36PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bishop got tired of having my name on his
> books. He lied and sent a letter claiming I'd
> asked to resign. At the time I didn't know the
> mormon church had such an option.

Or was it because of your garden hose

Date: April 25, 2021 09:46PM

They would not leave us alone so we felt the need to resign. Our oldest son was 8 years old when we resigned and was not baptized. I was worried that if I don't resign the primary president might talk to my children inviting them to primary activities or something like that. All 3 of my children had their baby blessings and went to primary before we resigned. The 100 billion rainy day fund or tithing refund since we resigned we will never see a penny but for me it was worth it to resign. Now if I would have lived in Utah and my work would have relied on being a member I might would have pretended to be lds till the timing was right to leave.

Date: April 26, 2021 11:35AM

in spite of the garden hose and police reports, so he claimed I'd requested "name removal."

I actually only wanted to be left alone and they knew it.

Date: April 26, 2021 04:07PM

Cheryl please write the garden hose story for moehoward to read.I remember I laughed so hard when I read the garden hose story a couple of years ago.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 07:16PM

As long as you are a member, they get to claim you as a member. You will show up on some ward roster as being a member of that ward. Or you will be on the lost members file in SLC.

As long as you are a member, it is reasonable to assume you either approve of or are indifferent to their actions WRT LGBTQ+, or their sexism, or their $100B+ slush fund, or their baptizing dead people, or........ It certainly does not signal disapproval.

As long as you are a member, there is always the possibility that they will get a wild hare up their butt and try and track you down and "reactivate" you. They are infamous for doing that.

Resigning gets you off any ward rosters, off any official "reactivation list" (though some do-gooder may still unofficially try to save your soul), and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you have clearly signaled your dissatisfaction with LDS Inc.

You fired them.

Date: April 25, 2021 07:39PM

Oh, it’s a small price to pay to get my share of the billions of dollars when the church finally divvies up the money!

I’m hoping that “number of years a member” is a factor in how the money is disbursed!! Oo-oo! And 4-year seminary grad, RM, BYU grad, temple marriage & EQP!!

I’m gonna clean up on bonus points!

Date: April 26, 2021 01:28AM

A few people who resign may hear from missionaries. It is not common based on the reports I see here. Of course lots of people who are neverMo get pestered by missionaries too. It's a hazard of living where Mormon missionaries are assigned. Like cl2, if all your former ward members are also your neighbors, and part of you immediate family is still active, and there are missionaries in the neighborhood, yeah, you're going to have to deal with Mormons on an ongoing basis. That's life.

As for being gossiped about at church, true that, if the ward knew who you were before you resigned. If you ever move out of the ward, however, since there is no membership record to forward to your new ward, and nobody from the old and new ward know each other, chances are excellent that you will pass as a neverMo, unless your mom rats you out to the local missionaries, or something equally unfortunate happens. :((

Date: April 25, 2021 08:16PM

Whoa Jerry, we are just talking...

"As long as you are a member, they get to claim you as a member. You will show up on some ward roster as being a member of that ward. Or you will be on the lost members file in SLC."
-That's ok we me

"As long as you are a member, it is reasonable to assume you either approve of or are indifferent to their actions WRT LGBTQ+, or their sexism, or their $100B+ slush fund, or their baptizing dead people, or........ It certainly does not signal disapproval."
-This is a stretch. If the president says something or the CEO of your company has a stand, we can assume you agree?

"As long as you are a member, there is always the possibility that they will get a wild hare up their butt and try and track you down and "reactivate" you. They are infamous for doing that."
-It's been over 35 years and nobody from the LDS church has contacted me. If they do, it will be a fun time

"Resigning gets you off any ward rosters, off any official "reactivation list" (though some do-gooder may still unofficially try to save your soul), and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you have clearly signaled your dissatisfaction with LDS Inc"
-Is the activation list something like "your permanent record?"

"You fired them."
-The LDS religion is totally made up, it's not a real entity, nobody can be fired from either side.

Date: April 26, 2021 02:33AM

moehoward Wrote:
> Whoa Jerry, we are just talking...

Your question sounded like you thought resigning was of no consequence and a silly exercise. I went to the trouble to list what I consider to be the most important consequences. They may not be important to you, but that is not the same as "there are no consequences". There are.

I added a second post to make clear that my attitude is not that you must resign or you are not a fit human being. There are plenty of good reasons to not resign. It's a personal choice.

Resigning for a lot of people is a very fraught and stressful decision. They don't know what's going to happen, will they have to be interviewed by the bishop, can they be excommunicated, yada yada yada. Some people are really frightened, and they deserve full and accurate information. That's all I'm trying to do.

Yer welcome.

>
> "As long as you are a member, they get to claim
> you as a member. You will show up on some ward
> roster as being a member of that ward. Or you will
> be on the lost members file in SLC."
> -That's ok we me

That's fine if still being on the ward roster is OK with you, but being taken off the roster has several advantages. From time to time, ward leadership get possessed of The Spirit™ and decide to go through the roster and see if they can find anyone who needs reactivating. If you are not on the roster, you get spared the totally unexpected visit from God knows who, who will say God knows what.

Also, you will never get asked if you will teach a class, clean the chapel, schedule an appointment for a TR interview or tithing settlement, etc. Well, unless some yahoo in the ward doesn't check the ward roster and note that you are no longer on it. That happens now and then.

>
> "As long as you are a member, it is reasonable to
> assume you either approve of or are indifferent to
> their actions WRT LGBTQ+, or their sexism, or
> their $100B+ slush fund, or their baptizing dead
> people, or........ It certainly does not signal
> disapproval."
> -This is a stretch. If the president says
> something or the CEO of your company has a stand,
> we can assume you agree?

I don't think it is a stretch at all. For starts, there are people who renounce their citizenship because they deeply disagree with a president, but that is a massive step to take compared to sending an email in to resign from LDS Inc. Among other things, there is a $2,300 fee, a final tax return where your entire net worth is taxed as a capital gain taken the day before you renounce ($700,000 standard deduction - I looked it up!), you eventually have to move out of the country or apply for a green card. It's a big effing deal.

I also know people who have resigned jobs over management actions. A good friend of mine in Seattle quit a well paid job at Amazon over their policies toward promoting women.

A lot of people resign from LDS Inc over outrage at their policies. They lost a lot of members when they announced their policy about babies of same-sex couples not being allowed to be blessed or baptized. I resigned simply because I did not want my good name (more on that below) associated with those clowns.

> "As long as you are a member, there is always the
> possibility that they will get a wild hare up
> their butt and try and track you down and
> "reactivate" you. They are infamous for doing
> that."
> -It's been over 35 years and nobody from the LDS
> church has contacted me. If they do, it will be a
> fun time.

There is a regular slow drizzle of reports here of people who get totally unexpected visits after years without contact. Not a big deal really, but keep in mind you can have as much fun with them even if you have resigned. And they rarely show up at a good time.

> "Resigning gets you off any ward rosters, off any
> official "reactivation list" (though some
> do-gooder may still unofficially try to save your
> soul), and you have the satisfaction of knowing
> that you have clearly signaled your
> dissatisfaction with LDS Inc"
> -Is the activation list something like "your
> permanent record?"

See my comment above about leaders deciding there might be some people on the ward roster who need saving.

>
> "You fired them."
> -The LDS religion is totally made up, it's not a
> real entity, nobody can be fired from either side.

OK, you are entitled to your own opinion. If you consider resigning a waste of time, fine. However, you are not entitled to your own facts.

LDS Inc is a real entity. Anything with a hundred billion dollar slush fund and a mountain a real estate, and its own state legislature and 5 million active cult members is a real entity.

They have a real baptism application that has your name and signature on it. If you were a minor, your parents' of guardian's signature is on it. You can't sign a contract as a minor, but your parents can on your behalf. Fifty years ago the church was sometimes lax about that. Not anymore. It is a real live legal document.

That membership may not exist in your eyes, but it definitely exists in the eyes of the LDS Church (which you likely don't care about) and in the eyes of the law (which you should care about).

There are lots of things LDS Inc can do to you where you have no legal recourse whatsoever, other than resigning. They can keep you from you child's wedding. They can deny you a TR. They can publicly humiliate you with excommunication or disfellowshipment. You can't sue over any of that.

It used to be you couldn't resign either. You had to ask them to excommunicate you, which carries a strong implication among the faithful that **you** did something icky.

A number of people either filed successful lawsuits, or threatened to, to secure our right to resign. It did not come without a fight. The courts will not do diddly-squat for you if LDS Inc refuses to give you a TR, but if the church tries to give you grief about resigning, the courts can give them a good solid slap upside their institutional head.

So don't talk about that like it is nothing. It is a BFD, and deserves respect.

Oh, and Jerry is my brother. Like Mother in Heaven™, I have no name, though O Nameless One has a nice ring to it. BoJ works in a pinch. ;)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 02:37AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> I have no name. . .

Oh come on now, Mahonri.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. It's not like your father named you "Sue."

Date: April 26, 2021 04:20AM

Well Jerry, sounds like you take this a lot more serious than I do.

Date: April 25, 2021 07:38PM

And to answer OP's original question, you don't have to resign. There are excellent reasons for not doing so - job, family, neighborhood acceptance - you know the list.

But I certainly consider it well worth the 15 or so minutes it took me to type up and send mine in.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 08:10PM

To give it/ them more to do.

They are always looking for things (nothing) to do.

They like to try to keep track.

Can't track God/ me/ the "free man"/ individual.

Can't keep track of life
Not on the fast track

Mormonism is on a fast track. It's a laugh track too (An eight track), but that's something else.

Fast to First
First to Fast
Fast to judge
First to fudge

It's to [try to] control people. Can't control what has its own.

Be your own!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 08:38PM

but my daughter kept arguing with me about going back to church and trying to convince me it was true. So I resigned to make a point. One of the best things I've ever done for myself. It really felt like a load was taken off my shoulders.

As far as leaving you alone, I've been bugged more since I resigned than I was as an inactive member. The newest bishop didn't even know I had resigned. The bishop who accepted my resignation is a friend and he told me he wasn't going to tell anyone, but he told me he wouldn't try to talk me out of it because he had seen a small portion of what I had been through.

For me, it was a positive experience. My "husband" and others have had me help them resign as they don't want to be considered mormons.

It is a personal decision.

Date: April 25, 2021 08:45PM

Cl2, I totally agree with you, it's a personal decision. Your situation with your daughter is not unique.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 08:46PM

For me it was about 1) sending them a message to let them know that I wanted no part of them. I didn't want my name to be associated with them in any way.

2) I didn't want to be on their re-activation list for the rest of my life. I have a friend who took 20 years to re-join the Church, but she now has. They never stopped trying to visit her and considering her to just be inactive, which I guess it turned out she was, even though she'd considered herself an ex-Mormon for many years.

Date: April 25, 2021 08:56PM

Where does everybody live who gets hounded by the church? I would expect this from Utah and Idaho. I was divorced in S.Calif., retired in N.Calif and never heard a word. Maybe there is a "don't call" list or the church booted me without notifying me. Either way, I'm still going to say I'm a Mormon...

Date: April 25, 2021 10:56PM

Texas

Date: April 25, 2021 11:27PM

moehoward Wrote:
> Where does everybody live who gets hounded by the
> church?

My friend is in Toronto. I wouldn't say that she and her family were hounded, in that the contact was always very friendly. But it was relentless for decades. They always still called them and referred to them as brother or sister.

I had sister missionaries keep in contact with me. As long as you're still a member, you will always be considered to be a re-activation project.

I simply didn't want that hassle.

Date: April 25, 2021 11:28PM

I'm really surprised by the answers

Date: April 26, 2021 03:22PM

We actually had the missionaries show up once in about 20 years. Then we resigned and they came by three times until my gay "husband" told them what he thought. BUT the ward members try every now and then. New people will move in and start bugging ME. My neighbors, who I really, really like, are always inviting me to church activities like the Christmas party and RS stuff. I always turn them down. One of these days I'm going to tell them why I'm not interested.

They sent us ministers when they first changed to ministers. They had the neighbor boy (from the above family) come with a man I didn't recognize. That is when I told the bishop we had resigned. He came up to me at my daughter's wedding reception to tell me he would make sure nobody bothered us. Then recently we started to get invites to the "neighborhood activities" and I got a "neighborhood newsletter" which was all mormon schedules, etc. Nothing neighborhood.

My "husband" of all things went to one of the picnics last summer. I couldn't believe it. Our daughter and son-in-law were in shock. (They live in the ward.)

Even if he is gay, he still hangs onto some of the mormon stuff. I was never into the social aspect of mormonism. I went because I believed. I hated socializing.

Date: April 26, 2021 12:12AM

I'm very findable. I even tried to set up an online account but was told that in order to find out my member number, I'd have to contact my ward clerk to get his help. I keep putting it off... But I did provide my email address, and I get stuff from BYU about sports events in SoCal, that I could go to, to cheer on the ol' Cougars!

I get the BYU Alumni magazine in the mail, so they have my address. I'm sure my TBM daughter has supplied all the info she has to any church officials who have asked.

But...crickets!

I think it's cuz I have the big, bold "L" on my forehead . . .

Effing racists!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 05:01AM

What if you don’t know your ward clerk? Is it the last ward you attended or the ward whose boundaries you are now in?

I might have been exed in absentia. How would I find that out without a member ID number?

Nowadays, excommunication is meaningless so membership is also meaningless. What do I care if they try to reactivate me? I’ll lay out all of the church’s dirty laundry.

Some Mormons I used to know despise me so much it’s kind of freaky. But I am free and they are prisoners, so they should at least have that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 05:08AM by bradley.

Date: April 26, 2021 03:23PM

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 12:38PM

I get a big burst of satisfaction from knowing that I am apostate and still counted among their numbers. Anytime I hear their listed membership number, I laugh and proudly say, "Yeah, and I'm one of them!" springing into a conversation about how the cult lies about everything, including their membership. They know who I am and what I believe yet they keep me on the records? Sounds like a them problem, to me.

I'd rather get excommunicated. In fact, if they're going to keep such records, then they have the responsibility of cleaning them up. They sign me up into a binding contract at 8 and want to keep an apostate on the books, just in case I have an Alma the younger moment? Then I'll be the worst representative to accidentally leave the door open for.

Also, no, resigning doesn't save you from getting visited by Mormons.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 12:50PM

It’s psychological. You don’t have to resign. You can put a stalking order on the church if they continue to bother you. There is nothing legally binding between you and the church. You are out when you leave. They just need to know there’s consequences for bothering you.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 02:18PM

Some folks leave to get the church to stop bothering them, and that's probably the strongest motivation.

I left to be honest with myself. I'm not a Mormon, even though I know their doctrine better than they do and even though I am more honest in my dealings with my fellow human beings than they are.

I needed to have an exclamation point that says, "This is the Rubicon and I have crossed it."

I still have to deal with Mormons far too much, but I can say honestly that I'm not one of them.

Tyson

Date: April 26, 2021 02:29PM

Tyson,Rubicon,Goodman,elderdog and Dave.
Thanks for renewing my faith in the blog. I thought I was alone out here. Currently, I leave in a State that revers Billy Graham so I get accosted by religious people on occasion. My favorite response is, "I'm an ex-Mormon so I'm allowed to make fun of any religion". Shuts them up every time.

Date: April 26, 2021 03:07PM

Thanks for making the topic. Very often I see the main opinion pushed that resigning is the best thing. So, it's a breath of fresh air to see the opposite presented.

And I am sympathetic to the proposed reasons people resign, the closure it gives them, the way they frame it as a "support" issue, taking their power back.

I look at it with the opposite framing. Resigning is playing their game the way they want it played. As others have noted, there is nothing legally binding about their record keeping.

I suppose I'm just angry. Not mature enough to move on. I want visitors at my door and to tell the cultists about the lies they represent. You come to proselytize to me? I'll break your faith, baby. Keeping my name on the books and sending me ignorant brainwashed people to visit and be my friend was probably the stupidest thing they could have done. Because I'm pissed and vocal.

I'm sure, there is some measure of the number of resigning members that makes church authority nervous. What I think would make them more nervous is, "Cripes! We keep having to excommunicate people." I don't want to "put in a two weeks notice slip" like I'm quietly displeased and going to take my business elsewhere. I want to trash the place of business and vandalize it before being escorted from the building(metaphorically). I want them to be afraid of my message. "We better get him off the books quick! He keeps asking questions and planting doubts!"

They stole years of my life, money from me. I'll never get it back. I'm older now. I'm not going to get to live through my twenties again.

Date: April 26, 2021 03:26PM

I have been bothered MUCH MORE often since I resigned than I ever was as an inactive FOR YEARS. It was as though I became a missionary project the minute I resigned.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 03:40PM

I too have become a missionary project. The frequency of contact from the brethren has increased in the last few years.

Date: April 26, 2021 05:27PM

Date: April 26, 2021 05:31PM

Then all those who left before there was such a thing would have remained members forever. No. If they chose to leave and never went back, they were ex-members a clearly as if there had been a resignation process.

No one must do anything to resign beyond walking away.

Posted by: Just Saying ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 03:52PM

thegoodman Wrote:
> Thanks for making the topic. Very often I see the
> main opinion pushed that resigning is the best
> thing. So, it's a breath of fresh air to see the
> opposite presented.

Resigning is not the *best* decision for everyone; but it *is* the *only* decision for anyone who does not want to be affiliated with a false religious cult that is perpetrating a fraud and doing harm to its members and society at large. Resigning (formal disassociation) is *the* moral imperative!

Now, if you don't mind that affiliation because somehow you think it is in *your* best interest to stay, or that of *your* family, or *your* children (most likely a delusion), go ahead and stay, and rationalize the moral imperative all you want. People have become very astute at doing that, and you are doing it quite well yourself.

Sorry, but I believe at the end of the day it really is as simple as that.

Sorry to burst your "breath of fresh air."

Date: April 26, 2021 04:16PM

Just Saying Wrote:
> Sorry to burst your "breath of fresh air."

You didn't burst anything. I didn't say anything about my children or family or a moral imperative. I even admitted an understanding and sympathy for those who resign and an admission that my petty anger is only to make me feel better.

It's like you didn't read what I said but got your panties in a twist over something in your head. It's like you're responding to someone else.

Date: April 26, 2021 05:27PM

Sorry. However, you said:

"I look at it with the opposite framing. Resigning is playing their game the way they want it played."

I took this to mean that you were resisting resigning because of the ludicrous rationalization that resigning would somehow be "playing their game."

Since I misunderstood you, I assume that you will be resigning shortly. Congratulations!

Date: April 26, 2021 06:11PM

Really? So, you don't think that the church telling you the only way you can walk away is by sending them a letter is playing their game? You believe those are on your terms, do you?

Date: April 26, 2021 06:12PM

There are 10 types of ex-Mormons: those who think in binary terms and those who do not.

Date: April 26, 2021 06:15PM

I'm starting to think there is something the church gets out of members resigning and Just sayin' is an agent of theirs trying to get me to comply. I'm not sure why it matters so damn much.

I see things differently. Why am I being cajoled to come under heel? It's weird.

Date: April 26, 2021 06:21PM

We all came from a black-and-white world in which there was the path of virtue and everything else was wrong. Some who left the church have yet to realize that binary thinking is itself a legacy of Mormonism.

Of course there is no single path. I respect those who choose for their own reasons to resign; I respect even more those public figures who, for political reasons, force the church to expel them. And I have no problem with people like you who decide no longer to accept the church's in-or-out dichotomous thinking.

When one leaves an authoritarian structure--if one leaves an authoritarian structure--s/he stops thinking in authoritarian terms.

Date: April 26, 2021 06:58PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> We all came from a black-and-white world in which
> there was the path of virtue and everything else
> was wrong. Some who left the church have yet to
> realize that binary thinking is itself a legacy of
> Mormonism.

I assume that this was directed at me, so this is what I said:

"Resigning is not the *best* decision for everyone; but it *is* the *only* decision for anyone who does not want to be affiliated with a false religious cult that is perpetrating a fraud and doing harm to its members and society at large. Resigning (formal disassociation) is *the* moral imperative!"

This comment applies to anyone "who does not want to be affiliated with a false religious cult that is perpetrating a fraud and doing harm to its members and society at large."

Morality is by its nature binary; Actions that are deemed morally relevant are considered either right or wrong. That is how moral judgments are made. Any other assessment of morality is relative; meaning that people can just do what they want without implying any moral assessment.

Now, assuming the above, i.e. that the decision to stay in Mormonism or resign is morally relevant; and objectively right or wrong, and that some person like "thegoodman" recognizes that fact, and does not want to be affiliated with Mormonism because of its evils, please provide a set of circumstances within this context where someone who holds such beliefs about Mormonism can remain affiliated with Mormonism, without violating THEIR OWN moral imperative! (Remember moral assessments are NOT about an assessment of consequences--that's utilitarianism. Moral assessments are about following moral principles--regardless of the consequences!)

I am not talking about moral perfection here. None of us are perfect, and I am not judging anyone who cannot bring themselves to resigning. But we should not, I suggest, lose sight of the moral imperative simply because we cannot live up to it, for one reason or another. And most certainly we should not rationalize it away; including falling back on the nonsensical dismissal of the moral imperative by calling it "binary thinking."

Date: April 26, 2021 07:19PM

My comments were in support of thegoodman. But sure.

Some choose to abide by the church's demands when they leave--of course resignation does not take your name off their books--and if you want to respect LDS rules for how you must quit, knock yourself out.

I'm glad others disagree, however, particularly those prominent people who force the church to expel them publicly. What would the church prefer? Clearly that those people resign and go quietly into the night. By forcing the church to excommunicate them, they harm that institution; they exercise their moral suasion to the greatest possible effect.

As for me, no one cares whether I resigned formally and it doesn't make a whit of difference. Yet I gave up "opposition in all things" logic when I left the church, so I find it silly when that thought habit reasserts itself in the form of demands for how others should act.

The emperor has no clothes. You are free to hand him a towel in recognition of his residual authority if you want, but the little kid who laughs and walks away is in no way a lesser moral presence.

Date: April 26, 2021 04:40PM

@Just Sayin
Thanks for showing us the moral high ground, I'm sure we can learn a lot from you.

Moe "breath of fresh air" Howard

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 05:23PM

Resignation gives you power. Church Co. can no longer count you as a member. And between you and me, I get a bit chuffed thinking about the poor blighter who has to handle the resignations, and it makes me happy inside

Date: April 26, 2021 05:41PM

The church is going to do what it’s going to do. Their membership numbers never shrink. But if you have your records removed you have to be baptized again. What you are really doing is nullifying your baptism.

Date: April 26, 2021 05:48PM

I used to take the piss out of the church by saying Who? The Mormons? Oh hell no, I was raised Catholic. You have the wrong person.

Date: April 26, 2021 05:37PM

Of course. No one MUST resign. I didn't do it for them. I did it for myself. It was basically my way of telling them just what I thought of them. But I did it for me. It was a very liberating feeling.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 06:15PM

I can see it going both ways, and reasons for each, STRONGLY.

First of all Mormonism is not "true" but false; a fraud then and still one now. A "religion" perpetuated on false narratives, guilt-ridden superstitions, and a far out promise that promises not to come true.

I chose resignation at the time, 2012-2013, because of PRESSURE from a lover/ (Mormonism) hater/ "roommate" threatening me if I didn't. I wanted to end it with them as much as with [the lies and bs of] Mormonism. Harrowing times. Pressured.

I may have stayed on the rolls (and buttered them good)! I could say (to LDS) I was FORCED to join as a force fed child. I was likewise forced to resign - to save my sanity (in the situation).

For decades since teen aging, No LDS contact, discussions, thoughts or anything. After LDS2, as an adult, attending a half dozen times over a year or so, I learned of the truth of Mormonism, though it was EXACTLY as I thought, felt, and had revealed through the holey ghost ship. 100% false.

Mormonism TRIED to pressure me (us) as a kid to believe and then someone pressures me to resign. I just couldn't take the pressure.

I've no space in my race to outpace the pack and take slack over all kinda flack.

I'm a happy formon
(A former mormon)

Wouldn't you like to be one too? One's pretty young. Not all that far flung. That's my song and now its sung.

Posted by: mahu74 ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 06:57PM

Before resignation was an option, I asked to be excommunicated. I did this as a courtesy to friends in the church whose priesthood duties would include constant efforts to reactivate me. Having experienced the thankless drudgery of inquiring after disaffected, uninterested, or apathetic members, I saw excommunication as a win/win.

Date: April 26, 2021 07:14PM

Struggle, trial, and hard work through service and proselytizing are values of high importance in Mormonism. There isn't anything else in Mormonism except missionary work and sacrificing for your faith like the pioneers. It's a nice thought but you haven't done anything for them except get them assigned to some other busy work. Likely reactivating someone else. And the entire thing is a scam based on lies. So...wasting time? That's the LDS church in a nutshell.

Date: April 26, 2021 07:24PM

Exactly.

The opposite of authority is the absence of authority. You cannot logically denounce something as impotent but then insist on abiding by its rules, which is what we are talking about here.

If there is a moral imperative, it is to weaken the church. What better way is there than to force the cult and its agents to waste the maximum amount of time and energy processing excommunications? What better way is there to show the world how petty and vindictive the religion really is.

In the absence of actual authority, the only logical response is "to each her own."

Date: April 26, 2021 07:38PM

The unvarnished truth is that the church does not expunge your records when you resign. And anyone who thinks they reduce their numerical claims by one is smoking some second-rate Labrador. They claim 16 million members when the reality is perhaps four million. Does anyone think they are going to correct their numbers because a few tens of thousands resign?

The bottom line is that the church has no authority and its rules for departure are meaningless. Some may choose for personal reasons to resign, which is honorable, while others recognize that there is no need to follow the rules established by the Knights Who Say Ni.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 07:38PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: April 26, 2021 08:26PM

@lots wife
"while others recognize that there is no need to follow the rules established by the Knights Who Say Ni."
I think you said it better than I did.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 07:55PM

My Dad never resigned for 70yrs after he quit believing in the church. He just quit going. But he still believed it was good, he just didn’t believe in God or Joseph’s Myth.
They kept sending him Home Teachers and he got to stand in and give his Grandkids blessings with all the other penis holders.
Problem is, he never took a stand and as a result his kids took the religion we inherited seriously, our first mistake.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 08:00PM

So they...and I mean one old asshole HP would leave me the F alone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.