Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 19, 2021 11:01PM

https://www.christianpost.com/news/millennials-dont-know-dont-care-dont-believe-god-exists.html

Additionally, 43% of millennials stated they either don’t know, don’t care or don’t believe God exists compared to 28% of boomers, and 44% of millennials believe Satan is a real and influential, compared to 64% of boomers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 19, 2021 11:36PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 19, 2021 11:49PM

No, no, no. That would be 48%.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 19, 2021 11:44PM

Well .... which is it ?

Posted by: Nightmare on Moroni Street ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 06:01AM

Note how the disbelief in God (43%) tallies with belief in Satan (44%). I wonder if theee is any overlap?

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 07:59AM

Why would 64% of boomers believe in Satan???

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 10:36AM

100% of me doesn't care what millennials believe about god.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 09:43PM

They'll grow up
Give 'em time

Date: May 20, 2021 09:57PM

Here's 'a' thing about surveys:

A sampling is made of the total universe of the target population and the results are then said to represent that total universe.

Sure, why not?

Obviously, the methodology behind the sampling is crucial. You can't expect a sampling within one region of the United States to represent the entire United States. Like doing the sampling in whatever county is south of Utah County and expecting the rest of the country to agree with whatever the majority of that county said.

In the instant case, the article refers back to the survey's publication and says, "Source: American Worldview Inventory 2021, Cultural Research Center at Arizona Christian University; conducted February 2021, N=2,000 adults 18+."

https://www.arizonachristian.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/CRC_AWVI2021_Release03_Digital_01_20210512-.pdf

So that headline is based on yakking with 2,000 Americans, 18 years old and older.

And remember, "Dewey Beats Truman!!" The surveys said so!

I have no idea what the truth is. And even if you could interview every single sentient American, by the time you finished the questioning, collating and tabulating, a certain percentage would have changed their minds.

I think it's best to concentrate on knowing what you think. Not that I've ever taken my advice...

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 10:05PM

The future seems to be headed more secular, and less batshit religious, which is a good thing. :D

Date: May 20, 2021 11:47PM

That trend can easily reverse. . .

That's happened many times over the course of history.

Posted by: Swiss Cheese ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 04:49PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That trend can easily reverse. . .
>
> That's happened many times over the course of
> history.

Worship and religiom are still around. Just in different forms. If you've known an obsessive sports fan or metalhead you'll know what I mean.

Date: May 21, 2021 04:58PM

My point was more fundamental than that. When religion weakens, the impulse often reemerges in political movements, where it is even more dangerous.

Sports fans and pop music enthusiasts, by contrast, are of little lasting import.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 01:08AM

If you don't go to church and have people telling you about God every week, you are probably not going to care a whole lot about the notion of God.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 11:32AM

Time for God to get an upgrade. And it will. And there will be another revival. And new god will make old god seem so dated everyone will wonder why anyone ever believed in him. Like, uh . . .

We all still remember Zeus, Apollo, Venus and Mars and gang cuz they were so fun. Of course it would be ridiculous to believe in them today.

"Osiris and Re: now sounds like an old Vaudeville act.

Briganti. Retired and now does River Dancing?

Thor, Odin, and Loki. Most would expect that to be a comic strip in the Sunday paper.

Ganesha? Ask people about that and they will say it is like frosting between cake layers. Sponge layers if you are British.

Itzama? Anyone? What about Ixchel or Tialoc. Ring a bell.

Such has beens.

Me? I still worship Bacchus but that is about it.

I will say, I think the need for a new god is why the super hero movies are so popular. The fulfill that need. Plus there's a new one every few months and with modern human attention span what it is . . .

Date: May 21, 2021 04:48PM

Ganesha still has a huge following and the Greek and Norse gods are worshiped by state recognized neopagan groups in Greece and Scandinavia.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 05:58PM

Yes I know. That wasn't the point.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 23, 2021 09:24PM

I want to know more about these neo-pagan groups. Do they have missionaries that can come to my house?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 23, 2021 04:14PM

I think you are absolutely spot-on about superhero movies being a partial god substitute.

Date: May 23, 2021 04:16PM

And in fact all epic literature.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 01:35PM

depending on the wording of the survey questions the surveys can be extremely biased.
Therefore I think I will only accept those which confirm that toward which I am already biased.

Date: May 21, 2021 04:27PM

I think some of them worship celebrities or maybe themselves. ;)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 05:42PM

God needs to be making Tik-Tok videos. That will get him some attention!

Posted by: Anonnonnon ( )
Date: May 23, 2021 04:52PM

We millennials are mostly in our 30s wrangling kids and/or working multiple jobs. It’s Gen Z that’s on TikTok ;)

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 08:06PM

During WWII, men in a fox hole being bombed from above, even the agnostics, called apon God to help them.

Maybe, for some, it takes a tragic event to "call upon God" for help, when in special need.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 08:32PM

Quite the opposite, I think. WW2 and the mass slaughter of WW1 added huge impetus to a move away from belief in God. This was especially true in Europe. Can't speak to individual moments of terror in foxhole.

Date: May 21, 2021 08:57PM

This is true. The "when in a foxhole everyone believes in God" is said only by the religious.

World War One killed European religion, as Nietzsche had predicted it would, and led the sentimentally faithful towards political extremes like Bolshevism and Nazism. In the UK and France and other western countries, meanwhile, Christianity was seriously wounded. The "Great War" had basically killed faith in western religions and even the western vision of social progress itself.

World War Two was less of a shock but it reaffirmed the popular skepticism towards God and faith. But the impact was felt as far away as Japan. In fact, if you look at all the countries that participated in the two world wars you'll realize that they are almost identical with a list of nations that are now agnostic or atheistic.

The United States is the single great exception to that pessimism and irreligiosity. Why? Because it was the obvious victor in both world wars--as if God were intervening in history to raise the US to its rightful position as global leader. That's a big reason why zealous religion has merged with politics in recent American history.

The probable failure of that merger may well push the US towards the more skeptical attitude that characterizes the rest of the rich world.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: May 23, 2021 03:13PM

Those are my people right there.

I'm not atypical, just atypically vocal.

Posted by: Anonnonnon ( )
Date: May 23, 2021 04:50PM

Gen Z is significantly less religious than millennials.

Date: May 23, 2021 06:35PM

Which atheists are the most religious?

...need citations because it's to decide who wins a bet!

Date: May 23, 2021 06:39PM

Those atheists who join cults of personality.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:17AM

More Millennials believe in horoscopes than in God.

Is that better?

https://www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/michael-foust/millennials-more-likely-to-believe-in-horoscopes-than-an-all-knowing-god-survey-shows.html

At least horiscopes are not patriarchal and authoritarian or racist AF!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.