Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nli ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 03:45PM

Some Mormon women are making news by complaining about the sacred garments:

https://news.yahoo.com/among-mormon-women-frank-talk-121434693.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 04:32PM

I've said for a long time, they need to offer silk as an option. It would be cool in summer, warm in the winter, and naturally fire retardant.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 04:41PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . and naturally fire retardant.

When people wear garments, there is little chance of things getting anywhere near that hot.

Date: July 21, 2021 06:15PM

:)

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 08:07PM

How about Merino Wool? Fine fabric, doesn't cause itching and wool works for cooling in warm weather as well as warming in cool and cold weather.

Disadvantage is L-d$,inc doesn't own any Merino sheep farms - so maybe Silk would be better - IF they can find the silkworms from Brigham Young's directed effort at silk manufacture in the St. George area?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 03:24PM

summer Wrote:
> I've said for a long time, they need to offer silk
> as an option. It would be cool in summer, warm in
> the winter, and naturally fire retardant.

Hi Summer, the lds church has a silk option. I used to wear the silk bottoms and the cotton round neck top. I wore the round neck because it fit better under my shirt, yes it was very hot and my garments would still sometimes stick out under my shirts. The are even pictures of my wearing my wedding dress with my garments sticking out of the wedding dress sleeves :(

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 04:51PM

summer Wrote:
> I've said for a long time, they need to offer silk
> as an option. It would be cool in summer, warm in
> the winter, and naturally fire retardant.

Wait a second--are you saying regular garments *aren't* naturally flame retardant? But they have special powers! Or at least that's what the MTC president told me twenty years ago.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 04:56PM

That article was fun to read! Excerpts – some really cracked me up:

“We really want buttery soft fabric,” she said, addressing her comments to the church’s 96-year-old president, Russell M. Nelson. “My vagina has to breathe.”

I wonder what Nelson's reaction would have been?!

“…women vented their frustrations with the holy apparel: itchy hems, bunchy seams, pinching waistbands and even chronic yeast infections caused by fabric that does not breathe.

“It’s sacred,” one commenter wrote. “But it’s still actual underwear.”

“Most of the available temple garment fabrics are synthetic. “If you’re trying to optimize someone’s gynecologic health, it’s not recommended,” said Dr. Kellie Woodfield, an obstetrician-gynecologist in Utah who is a member of the church.

“In Idaho, Piton ticked off the items on her wish list in the recent Instagram video: “buttery soft, seamless, thick waistband that’s not cutting into my spleen, breathable fabric.”

Asking for a waistband “that’s not cutting into my spleen” LOL

“If she had her choice, she said, she would prefer to wear a cross necklace, or a ring — popular among young church members — with the letters CTR, a reference to the motto “Choose the Right,” a reminder to make ethical choices. “There are so many different ways to remind myself of what I’ve promised,” Perez said. “I don’t need that to be through my underwear.”

“But few women feel comfortable approaching male leaders to discuss bodily fluids, infections and sexual intimacy."

This one too – LOL:

“People are scared to be brutally honest, to say: ‘This isn’t working for me. It isn’t bringing me closer to Christ, it’s giving me UTIs,’” Perez said.”

“Parker made it her mission to get church leaders to produce garments that fit and felt better. She approached one church leader after a talk, and wrote to anyone she thought could help. When a church designer finally agreed to meet with her last year, she showed him 34 PowerPoint slides that explained the garments’ many problems for women.

“The initial result was disheartening, although she was encouraged recently when the church’s design team asked her for more feedback. “You’re talking about pads and gore,” she recalled the man responding at first. The implication was that such earthy topics were inappropriate for discussions of sacred matters.

“It’s of a greater magnitude than the church has any idea about,” Parker said. “Either get into the underwear business or get out.”

End of article excerpts

---

I think it’s fabulous that women are speaking out. The men better look out. Who knows where this train is gonna stop.

Also, I was interested to read in the article the experience of a convert to the church who loved the temple ceremony and the garments. I respect her reasons for feeling that way. Just have to say that I didn't love it or the g's.

That is all.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 05:01PM by Nightingale.

Date: July 21, 2021 06:18PM

It's a miracle that Mormon women don't just collectively say, "Yeah, I'm not doing that."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 05:49PM

My prediction: within the next 15 years they will get out of the underwear business. Gs are an annoyance, and people are less willing to put up with annoyances, especially Millennials. They are particularly annoying in hot weather, which, as you may have heard, is having a moment.

And they don't go well with Roman gladiator (plus size) outfits, Yes, his Gs were showing.

Date: July 21, 2021 06:31PM

"having a moment" - LOL

As for the gladiator, yeah, I haven't looked.

Date: July 21, 2021 06:40PM

I hear he's available. . .

Date: July 21, 2021 06:48PM

I'll get right on it.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 07:20PM

My advice - if he wants to take you home to meet his Mom, don't go.

Date: July 21, 2021 07:40PM

I'm rolling around on the floor right now.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 08:12PM

His mom just sits in her rocking chair… wouldn't even hurt a fly.

(Did I just hear screeching violins?)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 07:29AM

Within the next 15 years they will get out of the underwear business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2021 07:31AM by messygoop.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 08:28PM

I just would get SO HOT in the summer. I spent my childhood/adolescence working on the farm and I don't tolerate heat well. It was so nice to shed that spare layer of clothing. We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon during a drought. That was NOT fun as I just looked for shade the entire time and was glad to go home.

The old bishop in our first ward actually stopped me on one of my long walks when I had a white T-shirt on over my garments and told me I didn't have to wear garments when exercising and he was a real stickler for following the rules. The first day I walked with just the T-shirt against my skin, I loved it. It was one of the last relics that I let go of and it was because my therapist some 16 years ago told me about RfM.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 09:00PM

Back in the days of one-piecers, I was a missionary in Argentina. Nylon or cotton were the choices I recall. Both had problems.Then we had to wear nylons over them--no pantyhose yet--but that would have been worse. Lots of curiosity on the part of local female members. Of course, I had grown up in SLC and knew not to complain.

And later, being pregnant in those awful one-piecers. Then being a nursing mother. Of course you were supposed to wear your bra over the garments, which made your bra slip around. Yikes, how did I last as long as I did? Nursing mothers wore the nursing bra under. I don't remember any male authorities either complaining or giving a dispensation.

Then there was the night I was rushed to the local hospital in my nightgown and garments. I had a serious gall bladder attack. The nurses couldn't understand why I had this weird underwear on under the nightgown.

I'm sure many from the one piece era can tell even worse stories.

So, the two-piecers came out. I stopped going to the temple, so DH traveled to the LA temple to buy garments for me. He told the woman selling them that I was a 36 on top and a 32 on bottom.

"That's not possible!" she gasped. I can't remember what he came home with.

First thing I did after we left was to buy some pretty red and pink bras.

Date: July 21, 2021 10:06PM

the two piecers had just BARELY come out. We had to use once piecers for the washing and anointing. It was the only pair I ever had. I cannot IMAGINE wearing once piecers all the time.

Date: July 21, 2021 10:06PM

Date: July 21, 2021 11:13PM

Once-piecers works too. If you wear them once you'll never don them again. Or something like that. :)

Date: July 22, 2021 02:52PM

Posted by: run0emma0run ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 11:47PM

Regarding the one-piecers: That’s what I had to wear. When I went to the temple, I and the other young women who were attending for the first time were told that we had to wear them all the time – day and night- except for while swimming, and only remove them while bathing or having sexual intercourse with our husband, and that as soon as we finished sexual intercourse we were to put on the garments again. Sleeping in the nude was not allowed.

Wearing those one-piece garments while you were menstruating was absolutely horrible. The slit in the crotch, which extended from front to back and had 2 layers of material that overlapped, would constantly ride up into one’s vagina and become covered with blood and uterine tissue. And since these were one-piece, in order to remove them and put on a clean pair you would have to completely undress top and bottom. I tried everything but could not keep those flaps from getting covered in blood. Changing clothes several times a day because of the bloody mess was a real hassle.

Date: July 22, 2021 12:08AM

I've forgotten how awful it was. There were also the wide legged ones, which my Mom wore. Until she and Dad returned to full activity, she hung her garments on the back of the [only] bathroom door every night. I don't know what Dad did with his.

Date: July 22, 2021 12:16AM

My first companion referred to the Argentine pads as 'mattress pads" I had tampons and when I ran out I asked my Mom to send me a big box along along with some root beer mixes, a flavor they didn't have in Argentina in those days. She did and it came right through customs, fortunately. (Other LM's had to go to the adana, customs, to get their packages.) Later I had Argentine companions. One day one one asked so delicately what I did for "you know." I explained about tampons. She was thrilled and a few months later the Argentine version went up for sale. I never tried them.

No doubt many church authorities disapproved of tampons for single women. Well, just too damn bad!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2021 12:19AM by Phantom Shadow.

Date: July 22, 2021 12:20AM

I remember hearing about that: conservative Mormon women telling youngsters that tampons were inappropriate until after marriage.

Thank heaven I never experienced that degree of cultishness directly!

Date: July 22, 2021 08:20AM

I think it was a broadly held old-fashioned attitude, Mormon or not. My mom started me off on pads, and one day a couple of years later I got brave and tried a tampon. Freedom!

Date: August 10, 2021 04:03PM

In the temple bathrooms they have vending machines with pads and tampons. Get this they are even free no quarter needed only a temple recommend to enter the temple lol.

Date: August 10, 2021 04:05PM

Are garments just another income stream for the church?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 12:21PM

That article is only a few words away from being in 'The Onion'.

Which is why The Onion is so funny. And why garments, a relic of 19th Century secret polygamy society longjohns, are so sad.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 12:27PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> secret polygamy society longjohns

Made my day! Best. Description. Ever for garments.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 02:51PM

Do they still have the mesh garments.

Friend of mine went swimming outside and immediately put on their garments afterwards.

Unknowingly they had a severe sunburn and the skin blistered, right through the mesh.

Was a horrid sight and involved scissors and a sterile needle to get their garments off.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 03:27PM

Does the church believe that "all press is good press?" Or do they kinda not like this sort of story?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 03:29PM

There's a legal side of the complete story here too...

Many / A Few yrs ago, some of the unwashed masses were employed making garments (in the U.S.?);

ChurchCo, being the uncompromising Ass-Wipes they've become, decided that only church members (TR holders?) (suckers, naïve, bamboozled folks, that is) could be employed making garments, so they fired the non-members...

the FF (fired folks) filed a lawsuit charging religious discrimination <which, of course, it was>, but ChurchCo defended saying that the production was an essential religious activity and should be exempted from the general rule(s)...

Guess who won ...

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 04:50PM

This story has gone big time, making the Daily Mail web edition, perhaps the number one "news" electronic "nerws" site.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 04:52PM

Well that was a jumble. "perhaps the number one electronic "news" site."

Date: July 28, 2021 02:52PM

Didn't Jesus say something like "editor, edit thyself?"

Date: July 22, 2021 08:56PM

Where's the Champion PR team when they need them?

How they gonna spin this one?

inquiring minds want to know!!

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:53AM

I spoke out about the comfort level of the garments many times on my mission and to various bishops. Each time I was rebuked. They treated me like I was evil and speaking blasphemy.

In the end, I just decided not to wear them at all. I used to feel bad thinking that I wasn't wearing my protection, but hell, I have sensitive skin and I don't just wear anything. The worst part of it, I had no ball support. It was horrible.

So glad it is over. I can't believe I tortured myself with that crap.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 07:39AM

paraphrased from an interviewee: "I'd rather choose to wear a cross or a CTR ring."

From all I've learned here, I thought the Christian cross was forbidden/strongly looked down on by all Mormons.

Has something changed? If so, when?

Are there now images of crosses in Mormon chapels or in the Nauvoo Temple?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 08:21AM

Nothing has changed. The interviewee was making the point that she found garments so bad that she wants any other way to symbolically show her religiosity.

Date: July 28, 2021 09:39AM

Jewelry would make more sense. A discreet pin that could also be worn as a pendant would be perfect.

Date: July 28, 2021 03:13PM

What would it be if you can't use the cross?

Hey, maybe a brooch depicting the g's. Still ewwww but far better than actually wearing the things.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 04:35PM

The leaders may go for a Sacred G app for members phones if they could figure a way to make at least as much money on the app as they do selling underwear.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 11:20AM

To back down in any way would loosen the death grip hold the organization has around the womens throats

Posted by: MnRN ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 12:21PM

For those who want to read the original article, it ran in the New York Times on 7/21 under the headline "Among Mormon Women, Frank Talk About Sacred Underclothes." I hope this national exposure leads to the shaming the church deserves for subjugating women like this, and then some real change. I used to watch some Mormon family vlogs, and the parents seemed to spend their daily lives in athleisure wear when not working out. Lots of sleeveless. It made me wonder how many under 50s who consider themselves good Mormons are actually wearing the magic undies when they're not in church.

Date: July 28, 2021 07:42PM

Are U suggesting this only applies to women?

Date: August 08, 2021 03:26PM

Topping as this subject has been posted again.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 04:58PM

Maybe there's breaking news!!!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 10:45PM

The garments changed because the one piecers were so old fashioned the younger members weren’t wearing them. They remodeled the Ogden temple because the younger members thought it was too ugly to get married in.

The young members do steer the church. The old men at the top might take awhile to acquiesce to change but change happens. The church has always had to change.

I always wondered how many people really believed in this stuff. People will go with the crowd in public but do something entirely different in private. That’s the million dollar question. Do you really believe it? Belief is not necessarily what keeps people in.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 11:57PM

Is believing in being mormon the same as believing in mormonism?

The managers seem to rely on surveys.  As 'old farts' age out, it's the youngsters' results that would become consensus.  Just based on the recent changes, this seems to validate my presumption.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.