Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 07:29PM

I have seen several articles recently about wet bulb temperatures and human survivability. I know about wet-bulb thermometers, and having grown up "back east", I have had personal experience with hot muggy summer weather.

Wiki will fill you in if you don't know what a wet bulb thermometer is, It basically tells you how hight the relative humidity is (you also need to know the "dry bulb" temperature,aka the temperature, to calculate the relative humidity)

Utah gets humid for a few weeks starting right about now, though the wet bulb temps here are still in the 70s, which is not all that humid, compared to, say, Virginia.

A high wet bulb temp tells you how efficient a swamp cooler is, and how much sweating cools you off. If you are getting soaked with sweat, it is hot, and the sweat is not evaporating. this is bad.

What I learned from the recent articles is what levels of wet bulb temps are bad. At 85WBF (wet bulb Fahrenheit) and above, humans (and I assume most all animals) are very uncomfortable, and physical labor or even being out in the sun is very difficult.

At 95WBF you basically die from your body temperature going too high. Even being in the shade, nor a fan will help. If you are healthy, you can tolerate that for a while (less time if you are less healthy), but 95WBF is basically a hard limit for what humans can survive.

Wet bulb temps in the upper 80s are becoming more common, and even low 90s. This is getting into the zone where without access to air conditioning, it is definitely life threatening.

Yeah, I know - as if you didn't have enough to worry about. I know back east that weather reports will often give a heat stress index, which is based on the wet bulb temperature, and is a more easily grasped measure of how uncomfortable/dnagerous the heat is.

Fortunately, for us in the desert SW US, the humidity is almost always low enough that we can tolerate pretty high temperatures before it becomes life threatening, though the 105+ temps, even in a desert, are dangerous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 07:41PM

I thought this was going to be about tulips.

But ahh, it's weather.

Our temps are going to be torrid again starting tomorrow. More '90s and 100's. Ugh

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 08:04PM

I read the other day that the universe is in the shape of a tulip.

Date: July 28, 2021 08:05PM

Some say it's a donut.

Posted by: BoydKPeckerChecker ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 07:57PM

And the Black Donut Holes matter?

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 08:15PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fortunately, for us in the desert SW US, the
> humidity is almost always low enough that we can
> tolerate pretty high temperatures before it
> becomes life threatening, though the 105+ temps,
> even in a desert, are dangerous.
===============================

Wet bulb, dry bulb - whatever, enjoy yourselves.

Your problem is going to be water. Period.
You are not going to have enough wet to have a wet-bulb.

This is only thermodynamics.
It's not rocket science.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 02:29AM

It's the infamous east coast 3Hs -- hazy, hot, and humid. My A/C is on most days, now. I go from my air conditioned home to my air-conditioned car. There is always the mall, or most communities have "cooling centers" where people in unairconditioned homes can go to get some relief.

I recently stayed with a friend out west who has a swamp cooler in her home. I was very interested in how nicely it cooled the house down. And bonus -- you can keep the windows open!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 03:29AM

I think swamp coolers are brilliant, and use a tiny fraction of the energy a refrigerant AC uses. Drawbacks are that they require some maintenance and cleaning, or they can blow mold into the house. That usually involves climbing up on the roof

Also, during Utah monsoon season, when it gets a little muggy outside, it can get very muggy inside, so for about three weeks (right now until mid August), they don't work worth a damn.

For most people, that was enough to switch to AC. A fair number of older homes in the SL Valley, even in expensive neighborhoods (Olympus Cove, Cottonwood Heights) still have swampers.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 12:41PM

Do you remember the old "Thermador Car Coolers"? Basically a swamp cooler for your car. I always wanted one.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 08:04AM

Longtime Jacksonville WJXT meteorologist George Winterling developed the heat index.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather/-gang/post/the-origins-of-the-heat-index-and-why-its-important/2011/07/21/gIQASKrnRI_blog.html

Jacksonsville, Fla. broadcast meteorologist George Winterling, published a revised and adapted version of the humiture in the late 1970s in the Bulletion of the American Meteorological Society and began reporting it on-air.

Based on the work of Robert Steadman, who published several seminal studies on the “assessment of sultriness,” the National Weather Service (NWS) then made operational what became the heat index.

Heat is the top weather related killer in the U.S. But there’s truth in the saying, “It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.” The body cools itself at a slower rate when the humidity is high. For this reason, the heat index was devised, to provide a measure of how hot it actually feels - hence alternative names such as “apparent temperature,” “feels like temperature,” “real-feel temperature”(AccuWeather trademark), “humiture,” and in Canada, “humidex.”

Perhaps originating from some commentary by radio host Rush Limbaugh, questions have arisen as to whether the heat index is a legitimate scientific measure. I can assure you it is. Moreover, it’s critical for communicating health risks related to the potentially deadly combination of heat and humidity.

The roots of the heat index can be traced to Osborn Fort Hevener (described by the New Yorker as a New Jersey weather buff), who coined the term humiture in the early 1900s. In a 1959 issue of Weatherwise magazine, Hevener wrote:

Twenty-two years ago, I was fortunate to coin two words that have found their way into the dictionaries, and to develop a concept that has proven useful and popular. To let the secret out, I am the humiture man.
In the 1957 Thondike-Barnhart dictionary, humiture was defined as ”a combined measurement of temperature and humidity, arrived at by adding degrees of temperature to percentage of relative humidity and dividing by two.”

But this simplistic definition would evolve.

Jacksonsville, Fla. broadcast meteorologist George Winterling, published a revised and adapted version of the humiture in the late 1970s in the Bulletion of the American Meteorological Society and began reporting it on-air.

Based on the work of Robert Steadman, who published several seminal studies on the “assessment of sultriness,” the National Weather Service (NWS) then made operational what became the heat index

The heat index results from a whole research area on weather and its effects on the human body, known as biometeorology. The index is grounded in established relationships describing the exchange of heat and moisture between the human body and the atmosphere.

Consider all the following quantities factored into determining heat index: vapor pressure, dimensions of a human, effective radiation area of skin, significant diameter of a human, clothing cover, core temperature, core vapor pressure, surface temperatures and vapor pressure of skin and clothing, activity, effective wind speed, clothing resistance to heat transfer, clothing resistance to moisture transfer, radiation from the surface of the skin, convection from the surface of the skin, sweating rate, ventilation rate, skin resistance to heat transfer, skin resistance to moisture transfer and surface resistance to moisture transfer.

For practical purposes, all of these quantities can be condensed into an simplified equation for calculating heat index requiring just temperature, relative humidity, and a number of constants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/07/24/wet-bulb-temperature-extreme-heat/

As the air around you gets more humid, your body is less able to sweat effectively, meaning you can’t cool off as successfully. That’s why dry heat feels more tolerable than extreme humidity.

“If the wet-bulb temperature reading is higher than our body temperature, that means that we cannot cool ourselves to a temperature tolerable for humans by evaporating sweat, and that basically means you can’t survive,” said Tapio Schneider, a California Institute of Technology climate scientist and professor.

The term wet bulb comes from a way the measurement can be taken, by wrapping a piece of wet cloth around the end of a thermometer to see how much evaporation can decrease the temperature.

“The idea here is that you and I are essentially wet bulbs,” Schneider said. “We cool ourselves by evaporation.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2021 08:11AM by anybody.

Posted by: Bobik43 nli ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 12:14PM

Great, concise explanation and summation of things I learned long long ago and sort of lost track of in the intervening decades! Thanks much!

Date: July 29, 2021 02:04PM

May I ask where you got your username? Bobik is a nickname I've encountered among Russians and experts on Russia. Is that where you got it?

Posted by: Bobik43 nli ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 02:34PM

Да,моя жена русская!

Date: July 29, 2021 03:24PM

Awesome! There must be quite a story behind your meeting.

Posted by: bobik43 ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 04:11PM

Our meeting was actually quite prosaic. She was among the last people to flee the USSR before it collapsed, and that story is the really interesting one.

Don't want to hijack the thread more than I already have, but maybe sometime I'll post her story and to keep it on topic relate how she ended up here among the Mormons, married to an exmo like me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2021 04:49PM by bobik43.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 04:48PM

Возьми мою жену, пожалуйста ...

Posted by: bobik43 ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 04:56PM

Нет, спасибо! Я еле-еле с одной справляюсь.

Date: August 02, 2021 09:22PM

Не могли бы вы перестать говорить на своем чертовом французском? Со всеми остальными это грубо!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 01:03PM

I play every July, except last year, in an orchestra for musicals. This year it is Bye Bye Birdie. This is an outdoor theater with performances every Fri and Sat evening. I am worried about Friday night as the expected temperature is to be in the low 90s with high humidity. The little gazebo for the orchestra protects us from rain and unfortunately minimizes any breeze. It has never been this hot up on the mountain in previous shows. Taking a cooler with ice, a wetted towel that has been frozen, and tons of water along with a little fan I can have facing me when I am not playing. Yes the heat index is something I watch closely. I informed the conductor I will leave at intermission if the heat begins to affect me. My most important parts are in the first half.

Date: July 29, 2021 03:21PM

It's good to have a prevention plan, Eric. Sounds like a fun activity, if all goes well for players and audience.

Here are some tips from the Mayo Clinic re avoiding heat stroke (a medical emergency - better to prevent it than to have to treat it):

"Wear loosefitting, lightweight clothing. Wearing excess clothing or clothing that fits tightly won't allow your body to cool properly.

"Protect against sunburn. Sunburn affects your body's ability to cool itself, so protect yourself outdoors with a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. Apply sunscreen generously, and reapply every two hours — or more often if you're swimming or sweating.

"Drink plenty of fluids. Staying hydrated will help your body sweat and maintain a normal body temperature.

"Take extra precautions with certain medications. Be on the lookout for heat-related problems if you take medications that can affect your body's ability to stay hydrated and dissipate heat.

"Never leave anyone in a parked car. This is a common cause of heat-related deaths in children. When parked in the sun, the temperature in your car can rise 20 degrees Fahrenheit (more than 11 C) in 10 minutes.

"It's not safe to leave a person in a parked car in warm or hot weather, even if the windows are cracked or the car is in shade. When your car is parked, keep it locked to prevent a child from getting inside.

"Take it easy during the hottest parts of the day. If you can't avoid strenuous activity in hot weather, drink fluids and rest frequently in a cool spot. Try to schedule exercise or physical labor for cooler parts of the day, such as early morning or evening.

"Get acclimated. Limit time spent working or exercising in heat until you're conditioned to it. People who are not used to hot weather are especially susceptible to heat-related illness. It can take several weeks for your body to adjust to hot weather.

"Be cautious if you're at increased risk. If you take medications or have a condition that increases your risk of heat-related problems, such as a history of previous heat illness, avoid the heat and act quickly if you notice symptoms of overheating. If you participate in a strenuous sporting event or activity in hot weather, make sure there are medical services available in case of a heat emergency."

Additional helpful information here:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heat-exhaustion/symptoms-causes/syc-20373250

Date: July 29, 2021 04:49PM

... be born Mexican ...

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 01:41PM

Great explanation of wet bulb. Thanks for this, BoJ.

Date: July 30, 2021 05:24PM

Now if BoJ could explain the Dim Bulb phenomenon, maybe I could finally understand my Patriarchal Blaming!

Date: July 30, 2021 05:27PM

Dim bulb. LOL

Date: July 30, 2021 05:47PM

It's simple, EOD. Your batteries have run down.

Date: August 02, 2021 05:44PM

"Arm the main batteries; full speed astern! Look, it's Lilith Stern, Ph.D., M.D.!"

Posted by: DaqveinTX ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 03:58PM

Where I live (Houston), at 3:00 pm today, it is currently 95 F with a dew point (wet bulb) 0f 79 F. The Heat Index works out to 113 F. An hour ago, it was 97 and the Dewpoint was 82, leading to a heat Index of 120 F or so.

Here is a link to a site that will calculate things for the uninformed......

http://www.csgnetwork.com/heatindexcalcs.html

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: August 02, 2021 10:44AM

Thanks for that site, I can use it to calibrate my weather station! And the HI here in Florida now is 95...at 9:45am!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 02:01PM

. . . that being from WA state he was not acclimated

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/amp/hiking-death-valley-man-dies-heat-16352010.php

If cannot offload to the environment heat the body is generating . . .

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 02, 2021 12:26PM

Wet bulb ? I'm not interested in relative humidity. I put away my sling psychrometer many years ago.
The problem is high global average temperature.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.