Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2021 03:43PM

It is likely that most of us have a preferred method for accessing music, and that each of us has a definable 'nitch', type, or category of music that we love best...

From Gladys Lot, and her Yiddish Klezmer "songs of my Kvetching" to Roy G Biv and his deep, musical-spiritual connection with Barry Manilow, we all have "favorite music."

I was no different until I began my subscription to a source of music. Previous to that, I was all 80s, all the time.

But now while my deep affection for 80s soft rock remains, I have developed 'feelings' just as strong, for EVERY SINGLE Corrs song in their catalog, and for all nine Beethoven symphonies...

If you're a musician and you've never seen this before, I envy you. 'Falling in love' with Caroline Corr is right up there with going through the temple for the first time. And there's no way 99.75% of heterosexual male musicians don't have very strong emotions for Ms. Corr once they've seen this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5cWJUklIYE

Watching this video is the same as preparing, blessing, and partaking of the sacrament of life. (in my opinion) Spending 5 minutes & 22 seconds watching this video beats going to Sac meeting.

I've heard of men liking one of the other Corr sisters more than Caroline, but that's just crazy!

This is cruel, but here's another one of Heaven's Drummer girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXlPWeTJN9Q

Bless me, for I have sinned

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 09, 2021 03:53PM

<< "I was no different until I began my subscription to a source of music. Previous to that, I was all 80s, all the time."

Awesome! Since you were such a big fan of the music from the 1880's you must remember these hits....

"Away, Away! My Heart's On Fire"
"Now for The Pirates' Lair"
"Oh, Better Far To Live And Die"
"A Rollicking Band Of Pirates, We"
"To Gain A Brief Advantage"
"When A Felon's Not Engaged"
"When The Foeman Bares His Steel"
"When You Had Left Our Pirate Fold"
"Yes! I Am Brave! Oh, Family Descent"

Especially the one about the felon not being engaged!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 09, 2021 03:56PM

EOD's fibbing about the Corrs. He's really an Adele guy, has been since Britney was thrown in the bin.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 14, 2021 12:08PM

Oh how I wish to play the Police Sergeant some day, but I'm probably too old. Did the Major General when I was younger and was not very good. Saw my daughter play Ruth and she was great.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 09, 2021 04:03PM

I guess the reason why there are so many different kinds of music is because tastes differ. I watched the video and saw just a woman beating on a drum. Had to go back to Ruthie Henshall Singing I Dreamed a Dream to remind myself what emotion in music can be for me.

Date: August 09, 2021 04:09PM

> I watched the video and just
> saw a woman beating on a drum.

...so I have that to look forward to in ten years...

Just kidding. I love heartfelt music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU00EuczOiA
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNvbGLhB91M

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 09, 2021 04:46PM

Would an Epstein joke be out of place here?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 09, 2021 04:45PM

Very nice.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 02:35AM

Sixties. Early Beatles.

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 07:25AM

A swedish-dane folk musician, Ale Carr, playing two Skånska valser on cittern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUyOwPCOzc

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 03:34AM

I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock & roll.

R&B

Soft Jazz

Blues

Some classical

Some Bluegrass

Gospel

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 10:21AM

Caroline Corr is great. Thanks for posting that.

I was in grade school in the 60s, so filling in the blanks on what I grew up listening to is easy. These days I mostly listen to Willie's Roadhouse on SiriusXM, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, etc. Currently though I'm crushing on a Beatles song that I glossed over in my youth

Like most people, I thought Yellow Submarine was disappointing, with lightweight songs on side one and symphonic soundtrack on side two, I basically played side one a bit and then stopped playing it.

The other day It's All Too Much came on the Beatles channel on Sirius and it blew me away. I love that kind of wild distorted guitar and the drumming is among Ringo's best.

The recording has an interesting story and it's one of the few late Beatles tracks recorded with the four lads all laying it down at once. And no one seems to recall whether it was John or Paul who was on guitar.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDmtuMhOeomrs&playnext=1

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 10:44AM

I love it all.

Date: August 13, 2021 01:10PM

...polyamorous!!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 09:57PM

My musical tastes are very eclectic. All the way from operatic arias to Led Zeppelin and bluegrass.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 10:21PM

I'm weird. I will listen to most kinds of music besides heavy metal, rap, and I can't stand most country. (used to love country growing up, now I cringe whenever I hear it).

My first music love and my go to is always Musical Theater cast recordings. I LOVE theater music. The majority of music on my mp3 player are theater albums. I'm probably one of the biggest theater nerds out there.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 02:17PM

I’m right there with you. Musical Theater followed by folk.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 14, 2021 02:02AM

I have a degree in piano performance, which left me with a strong foundation in piano classics. I'll always love Bach, Scarlatti, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, and Chopin. My deepest affinity, however,would be for classic rock. the music I couldn't live without is from Aerosmith, Journey, Steely Dan, REM, Night Ranger, Foreigner, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers,the Eagles, Steve Miller Band,the Beatles, the Stones, Moody Blues and Procol Harum, ELO, Styx, Quiet Riot, Genesis, and many others. A lot of it was released before or right around the time I was born.

Date: August 14, 2021 02:13AM

Sometimes I stream the swedish pianist Hans Leygraf in the car. He played Mozart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Leygraf

Date: August 14, 2021 02:13AM

Lol, I stream his music.

Date: August 14, 2021 03:20PM

I think Aerosmith is overrated. I don’t hate everything they have done, but I can think of so many others whose music I would prefer over theirs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2021 03:21PM by knotheadusc.

Date: August 14, 2021 11:46PM

Their entire catalog of work may not rank with those of the very best groups, but they have several songs I really like.

Date: August 15, 2021 05:46AM

"Dream On" is a good song.

I probably don't like them so much because they were popular when I was in high school. I like to forget those years. I do have some of their music in my library, but I would much rather listen to Steely Dan or The Eagles.

I love most of the other bands you posted. I have eclectic tastes, too.

I especially love Kate Bush and James Taylor-- but lately, I've been downloading so much stuff. Anything I like, I'll download the whole album.

Date: August 19, 2021 12:37AM

Kate Bush and James Taylor are great. James Taylor stuff is fun to play on guitar.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 02:22PM

12 year old me is absolutely giddy that you included Quiet Riot in your list.

Date: August 19, 2021 12:53AM

I can't get by without Quiet Riot.

I have no memory of this because I was less than a year old,but family lore has it that MTV sponsored a bizarre contest, the grand prize for which was having Quiet Riot spend Christmas Day in the winner's home, with his/her family, in 1984. My brother entered the contest. My sister casually mentioned the contest and my brother's entry one night at dinner. My dad acted like it was a done deal, that my brother had won the contest, and that Quiet Riot was going to descend on the faculty housing of Moana Street in Laie and ruin the holiday for every family within miles of the place. He apparently threw a major pissy fit.

He was almost certain my brother would win the contest so that Quiet Riot and MTV could join forces to mock BYU-Hawaii and the LDS Church, and apparently carried on until the kids all went to bed. It wouldn't have been funny had he regularly reacted in such a manner, but he was ordinarily calm and mellow almost to a fault. This was one of only three times any of his kids can recall seeing him display significant anger.

Alas, my brother didn't win.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 01:58PM

New Orleans style dixieland Jazz Especially as performed by Red Nichols and the Five Pennies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2021 02:58PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 19, 2021 12:01AM

Gordon Lightfoot and Credence Clearwater Revival. Accept no substitute.

Date: August 19, 2021 12:56AM

I grew up on Gordon Lightfoot, as did my wife. Between the two of us, we attended more than twenty concerts in our respective childhoods.

Date: August 19, 2021 01:32AM

Respectable childhood?

The mind boggles!

Has a mind ever boogled? Google boogles!

Date: August 19, 2021 11:09AM

I'll work on getting my mind to boogle.

My father and my wife's father were both Lightheads. It was a good thing in terms of our marriage, as the two of them would have had very little in common were it not for a mutual love of Lightfoot's music.

Lightfoot doesn't have a great deal of voice left, but he still tours, and my dad and father-in-law still attend his concerts. Jillian and I don't attend anymore. We've moved on.

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: August 20, 2021 01:11AM

OK then, I suppose it's time to shamelessly plug my exmo ballad based on Lightfoot's "Edmund Fitzgerald."

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2195911

Date: August 21, 2021 10:00PM

Excellent!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 19, 2021 12:07AM

Anything and everything except:

hiphop/rap
atonal
microtonal

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: August 19, 2021 04:50PM

My favorites are:

Piano concertos

Operas

But I enjoy most other music as well.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 19, 2021 06:47PM

And what does this have to do with Recovery From MORmONism?

Date: August 19, 2021 07:02PM

Nothing!

Should I have pretended that it does?

Hmmmm... Who would do a thing like that?

And being the first one Ever to raise the issue of music on RfM adds even more to the glory of my sin!!

Date: August 19, 2021 08:42PM

You the hall monitor/thought police again?

Date: August 20, 2021 12:11AM

I'm glad my parents never told me what NOT to listen to. They actually bought me Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album one Christmas in the 60s.

Date: August 20, 2021 12:05AM

Actually, as a nevermo, I am grateful to people on this board for posting about music and books. I have found a lot of good stuff here. Ex Mormons tend to be brave, intelligent, and have good taste. That is why they’re ex Mormons.

Date: August 20, 2021 12:34AM

Were you not able to tell by the title of the thread that this wasn't directly connected to Mormonism or to its related recovery? Whining is tiresome both for those who whine and for those who have to read or listen to it.

Date: August 20, 2021 01:25AM

You’re right…

I was raised by the mormons whom I allowed to help in that endeavor, so I am a product of a certain brand of mid-20th century mormonism. No matter the distance I’ve traveled, nothing can ever really change that.

So my favorite music is part of that journey. Just as everyone’s favorite music is. Let’s all keep toddling along.

I love

Music

Date: August 20, 2021 01:46AM

I can relate. There have been times in my life when music was the only decent thing going on in it.

Date: August 20, 2021 03:10AM

Visiting this scottish accordion players live-channel from time to time.

Stagger Inn Special Happy Hour Afternoon 3pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6VeNymxSCI&t=43s

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.