Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: August 11, 2021 09:35PM

While driving thru the barrio today, we passed a ward building at the southwest corner of Civic Center Dr. and Tonopah Ave. in North Las Vegas.

It's an older, odd, one-of-a-kind building, possibly built when members did most of the work themselves and wards put on budget dinners.

Well, the building's for sale. Got a quick glimpse of a large For Sale sign out front. The online Meetinghouse Locator page said it supposedly has or had four wards.

It's a business decision. Always.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 11, 2021 10:06PM

My recollection is that this was the 13th ward building, built back in the early 1960s, and it was definitely from the days of one stake in Vegas, and ward building funds. When you look at it on a satellite map, my high school shows up, a bit to the west and south... Go Rams!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2021 12:27AM by elderolddog.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 12:08PM

Hi EOD. High school in Vegas in the 60’s? I was a bike riding missionary in Vegas the summer of 66. Hot, hot. I lived on Decatur Blvd in some members converted(kinda) garage. We had a stall shower attached to the outside back wall. Fond memories.

Date: August 12, 2021 12:57PM

Yet another connection with you, dude! (bobofitz and I walked across the same stage at BYU, in August of 1970, to be handed our diplomas, BAs from the Department of Communications, both with majors in Advertising & Public Relations. Apparently, we never had a class together, because we didn't know each other. I didn't watch him 'walk', because I was sitting there on the stage, reading Exodus, by Leon Uris, in paperback. Sorry dude.)

I left Las Vegas Second Ward in late May of 1965, for the SLC Missionary home, and then to the LTM.

Ever know any Bunkers or Stewarts? I doubt you ever attended either the 2nd Ward or the 3rd Ward . . .

Ever get taken to cruise Fremont St.?

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 10:41AM

Yeah, too bad we didn’t meet up at the Zoo. Probably would have hit it off. If we had met, I don’t think it would have been at Church. As I remember, we didn’t have to go to stay in school in those days. As for members in Vegas, the only ones I remember were the Camerons....really nice. Cruising Fremont Street? Afraid to ask. We didn’t do too much “cruising” on our Schwinn’s. So, hit ‘em straight, play ‘em down and putt ‘em out...see ya.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 11, 2021 11:54PM

The lamanite ward in Salt Lake became a night club.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 01:41PM

What were they asking for the building?

Date: August 12, 2021 04:14PM

After discussing it a while with Google, discovered the R.E. broker, plus Photos!, and the listed price is $2,600,000.

The building cleans up really nice for real estate sales pictures.

Don't yell at me. I didn't type the description in all-caps; the broker's staff did that. Plus, I ain't gonna include the demographics or pertinent information.

Property Description
CHURCH BLDG WITH APPROX 26,545 SQ.FT AND 3.05 ACRES. ZONED R-1 & PROFESSIONAL OFFICE. COULD BE USED AS A CHURCH BLDG, SCHOOL, OR LAND FOR HOUSING OR PROFESSIONAL OFFICE BUILDINGS. ADDITIONAL FEATURES INCLUDE A FULL GYMNASIUM, KITCHEN, CLASSROOMS AND OPEN COURTYARD. LOT'S OF PARKING. CLOSE TO SHOPPING AND AREA COMMERCIAL.

Area Description
**SEE ATTACHED MARKETING PACKAGE FOR AREA DEMOGRAPHICS AND OTHER PERTINENT DETAILS.

Highlights
LOTS OF BUILDING CHARACTER, SQUARE FEET AND PARKING OR OTHER LAND USES.

Ask and I'll include the website, if that's O.K. with Mr. Concrete Zipper.

BTW, EOD: do you remember the Stewart Ranch out east o' the valley? Also, you forgot to include the family name of Leavitt.

Date: August 12, 2021 04:18PM

These pictures may bring back memories, not necessarily good ones.

This info is here in case any o' you wanna buy it and turn it into an end-o-times prepper bunker:

https://realnex.com/listings/795638/2401-e-tonapah-avenue-church-bldg

Date: August 12, 2021 06:58PM

I never dated a Levitt!

Did you know any Bunker or Stewart girls who are now in their mid-70s?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 07:04PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never dated a Levitt!

Not for lack of trying. As I hear it, you asked one out and her father warned, "Levitt alone!"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 12:41PM

It has a humongous parking lot!

Pretty embarrassing to have ten cars or less in a big parking area. Doesn't send the right kind of PR that the church is growing.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 01:20PM

Not sure which South. I'd have to figure it out and I'm not going to. My boyfriend actually looked it up. He said it would make a nice senior living place. But if you buy it, you have to tear it down. Must have asbestos in it or something. They tore down one on main street in Hyrum and have built homes on the lot. They tore down the one in Paradise and rebuilt a new one.

Quite a few in Utah that are used for things like HOMES. One somewhere by Honeyville has been used for something else for a long time now, as well as in Mantua.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 01:21PM

Another religion meets in it now. Several have over the years. When the first religion cut off the steep and put in a bell tower, you would think the world had come to an end. Mormons were FURIOUS. I thought it was ridiculous that they gave a damn. I was still active then.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.