Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WalkedAwayFromOmelas ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 12:05AM

Unsurprisingly there has been considerable outpouring of anger and disgust over Holland’s recent call to arms for BYU to defend his vision of the one and only proper family format that god seems to have personally told him is to be allowed in the temple, the celestial kingdom, or at BYU. There has also been much speculation on his motives for delivering a speech that he must have surely known would receive enormous pushback, not only from the LGBTQ allies in the Mormon community, but the wider world.

Of course, as some have suggested, it may be partly to re-assure key donors that BYU will not become just another “Liberal” university. But I suspect that his major motive was to demonstrate to Oaks that Holland is fully on his team so that when Nelson dies, Oaks will pick Holland for his First Counselor.

He knows he may never succeed to the President’s chair if Oaks or Ballard hang on too long. But as first counselor, he would get to conduct one or more sessions and give more speeches during General Conference which would give him more chances to say a lot of really clever things so that he could become the most popular and loved general authority, like Uchtdorf used to be, among the faithful. And if either Oaks or Ballard become incapacitated, he could be pretty much running the whole show that much sooner, the way Hinkley did under Kimball and Benson.

I don’t think he really cares all that much about the negative press, the collateral suicides, or more resignations. For him (as with many narcissists), his driving motivation in everything he does is about gaining power and popularity, and he probably hopes it will help him get to the prophet's throne, or at least the chair beside (or behind) the throne with more surety.

-WalkedAwayFromOmelas

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 12:20AM

I think Holland is reflecting the general attitude of the Q15 as discussed in their Thursday meetings. I do not think he was supposed to say the quiet part out loud. I’m interested to see if they collectively clear their throats and back away from Holland.

It would be hilariously ironic if the first act of the new VP of Inclusion, announced at the same meeting, was to censure Holland for not being inclusive!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 12:28AM

Probably true. But the church does often have one apostle say X and another say -X so that in the future the church can point back to whichever is more fashionable and claim it was always the official policy.

It could be that they wanted to prevent members from taking the VP of Inclusion too far.

Date: August 28, 2021 12:34AM

Perhaps, but Holland has always struck me as the loosest cannon of the Q15, and I don’t think it is an act - he really is a loose cannon. I think the Q15 will be very careful about giving him a key to the FP executive washroom.

As for them saying X and -X, yeah, they do that. Jello theology that can’t be nailed to a wall.

Date: August 28, 2021 12:39AM

The Q12 have assigned roles. McConkie was the disciplinarian, and when Oaks called him an unmanageable bear the quorum ordered Oaks to play the same role. His transformation came as a surprise to those who had known him earlier.

I would not be surprised if Holland is fulfilling a particular role too, which would mean he isn't really a loose cannon but rather the zealous scholar and spokesman operating with the Q15's support. I don't think they view him as unreliable.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 01:19AM

Agreed. Holland is a loose cannon. He’s very emotionally unstable and that’s why he cries at every little thing and can lose his temper on a whim and say dumb things. He was a poor pick for an apostle who needs to have discipline over their emotions.

Holland’s pride and joy is BYU. Mess with BYU and you are going to trigger the guy. Simple as that.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 12:58AM

I think this is all the result of someone losing a golf bet.

Date: August 28, 2021 01:16AM

So you are saying Holland is a sort of Happy Gilmore?

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 01:32AM

"for BYU to defend his vision of the one and only proper family format"

Of course, we all know that the school's own namesake was the very embodiment, yea, the prime exemplar of that one and only proper family format; in fact, he embodied it over 50 times.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 07:32AM

From my observations as a teacher, younger people have been getting increasingly tolerant of LGBTQ+ people for a long time now, at least a decade. I saw this happening especially in the black community, which was traditionally hostile to gays. But it's happening across the board. Children accept their peers, and they accept the gay parents of their peers. It's not a big deal to them.

Things have changed and continue to change. The Q15 will become increasingly irrelevant if they continue to to push an intolerant agenda.

Date: August 28, 2021 02:27PM

Just so.

Date: August 28, 2021 03:06PM

Children seem to be a lot more laid back about culture war issues in general. They are not much into homophobia, mask resistance (“What? It’s a mask” seems to be their attitude) or climate denial.

I find their collective eye roll at the antics of their elders kind of refreshing.

Date: August 28, 2021 03:14PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find their collective eye roll at the antics of
> their elders kind of refreshing.

Yes. They are naive, have a lot to learn about how power works, but if they keep their ideals as age wreaks its havoc the world may yet have hope.

Posted by: happy90 ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 03:21PM

You write vague statements that make no sense. Care to explain your word salad?

Date: August 28, 2021 03:24PM

If you make it through high school the odds are close to even that you'll be able to comprehend simple English.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 02:59PM

If there's one person who will restore members calling themselves Mormons, I think Holland is their guy.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 03:46PM

Astute theories I would say, WalkedAway . If, of course, Holland actually has a method to the madness and isn't flying by the seat of his pants.

I would only add he'll have to watch his back with Bednar who has his eye on the prize and is in it to win it.

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 04:02PM

What on earth would a close relative of Holland's do if they were lgbtq? Talk about having to hide your truth!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 07:40PM

Holland just got triggered that his beloved BYU is under attack by people who are trying to change it from the way he likes it. Nothing more than that.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 09:00PM

I’ve actually had the same thought. Oaks os currently the “anti-gay” guy in the Q15 and that’s been his main agenda since being called as an apostle so that they could have a lawyer fight for the church against gay legislation.

AND Oaks is likely to become the next “prophet” after Nelson goes. This random anti-gay tirade at BYU by Holland makes me think he’s trying to show his “strength” as a church leader and that he will be on Oaks side and beckon his call on any issue Oaks wants to push, including on LBGTQ. I thinks it’s a show to suck up to Oaks. You know these guys pick counselors on who they like, trust and can work with. Being in the First Presidency no doubt holds more sway with the membership, as well as within the Q15.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 29, 2021 06:22AM

I think Holland's diatribe came about from Oaks. You might say a "special assignment" from the 1st Presidency. I think it might have gone down think this over a simple phone call.

O: Jeff, this Dall. I just got word that BYU is opening some kind of office that is welcoming gay and queer people. We've had plenty of discussion about our stand and this is going too far.

D: How would you like me to handle this? You want me to meet in private with the board?

O: No. We want you to address the entire staff. Let them know that they are crossing the line with their liberal antics. Too many of the staff are dismissing our position on the matter.

And I think Holland was chosen because he had better rapport with BYU staff than Oaks.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2021 12:22PM

The upper eschelon are going to lead the whole thing to a disastrous conclusion

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: August 29, 2021 01:22PM

Russ ticked off a lot of the right wing crazies with his "get vaccinated you moron" announcement. Maybe this is a bit of damage control sending Jeff out in a truck with a big anti gay flag driving though Sandy and Utah County. Gotta keep all the anti-vaxers and mean old geezers on the tithing train.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.