Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 11:57PM

What we are talking about is family traditions and family history. To be honest, many Mormons haven’t took the time or made the effort to analyze what they believe. Most people hate that and some might even fear they might have weaker faith than they hope they have. Add in all the social pressure and family pressure and you have a person easy to agitate if you poke them wrong.

You can’t use logic. Star Trek was based on the conflict of the illogical and the logical. The drama is never going to end. It is what it is. If anything pop some popcorn and enjoy the show. Grab a beer if you want.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 29, 2021 12:17AM

It's a social club.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 29, 2021 12:26AM

The 'religion' angle is only a mask.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 29, 2021 12:34AM

I've often thought that if we lived in a Star Trek universe, that the Mormons would all be Romulans. The cunning use of words and the difficult-to-prove lies are very much the same.

It appears to be family ties, culture, and inability to think critically (no one teaches Mormons to do critical thinking), that keeps most Mormons tied to the church for no logical or poor-logic reasons.

Even though Steve Benson and I don't agree on many things, I really admire the way that he managed his life as he saw discrepancies between mormonism and how people should be treated. Even though his grandfather was the prophet, he marched in a parade to protest actions that the church agreed with, but that were offensive to him. He has been very vocal in opposing things that his family and the church believe in, when those things offend his sensibilities. These are admirable qualities.

Hopefully the rest of the church members will wake up and do the same. But before you can stand up for what you really believe in (dogma aside), you need to be able to think for yourself. This is where mormonism fails the most. Obediance is not the highest law, it's a trap. The church members use lazy logic to justify (just following orders) as the church teaches they should. Many of them would lose their family and their membership in the club if they disparage the brethren.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2021 12:35AM by azsteve.

Date: August 30, 2021 03:44PM

That means Mormons should make blue colored ale that gets you totally rip snorting drunk.

Date: August 30, 2021 03:57PM

That is what John Dehlin concluded after doing a huge amount of interviews with various people who had problems with the Mormon church. The one unpardonable sin was to not follow the church leadership on everything. You could lie. You could commit adultry. You could rob your fellow members with ponzi schemes and avoid excommunication. Stand up to the leadership and say I don’t agree with you and hold that line and you will be out of the church.

Think about it. Brigham Young knew he had a bunch of brainwashed worker bees under him. The beehive is the perfect symbol to represent Mormons. Put your shoulder to the wheel.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 29, 2021 12:57AM

I think your argument was more valid before correlation.

Heritage, tradition, community, interdependence are all things of the past.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 03:47PM

I disagree. The more generations a family is in Mormonism, the harder it is to leave. I think it takes at least two generations for them to really set the hook. That is as true now as it was before correlation.

As others have said, my mother was most upset that I left because it made her look bad. Success to a Mormon is making more Mormons. Just like any other multilevel marketing scheme.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 11:43AM

Certainly was for my mother.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 12:34PM

One good thing about leaving is you find new traditions and start new histories that are real and more meaningful.

One tradition we passed on was: parents sacrifice for the kids instead of the church. Without tithes and mission costs, our kids all graduated from college with no debt and a car that gets them down the road.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 01:31PM

> One good thing about leaving
> is you find new traditions and
> start new histories that are
> real and more meaningful.

Golf!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 01:34PM

I find this interesting as my mother is all about Family Honor over anything else and leaving the church is more a disgrace to the family than it is a loss of chance at a celestial life.

Many events and gatherings, though the top tier attends, have VIP rooms where only the true celebrities my enter.The 1% of the 1%.
Losing such a status as being part of that is unthinkable. Waiting at the velvet rope would be an unbearable cruelty.

Mormons are mentally in their own VIP room. This, granted through family heritage. The temple serves this purpose well even if there is no Dom Perignon to sip nor Tiffany gift bags on the way out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.