Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 01:34PM

What a name!

Is it a team you root for?

Saw this past year that Oral Roberts University have a team.

Talk about making merchandise out of religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 03:37PM

Most the women at BYU are too young to be cougars but you know, there’s always the naughty professor. There always seems to be one even at BYU.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 04:34PM

Cougs (Washington State University) I root for. Hey, it's my alma mater.

Cougars (BYU) never.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 08:30PM

Yep! Another WSU Coug alum here!

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 09:50PM

Houston Cougars would eat you alive.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 08:47PM

Does anyone care to research how/when that mascot name was selected?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 08:52PM

some how the name "Cougars" won out over the Brigham Young "polygamists" or "wife collectors"

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 09:02PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYU_Cougars

"All teams are named the "Cougars", a name that was first introduced by Eugene L. Roberts in the 1920s, initially only applied to the football team. In 1924, live cougar kittens named Cleo and Tarbo were brought to BYU and used as its mascots. In 1930, Tarbo died and Cleo was sent to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City.[5] By the 1950s all sports teams were known as the Cougars and it was decided that having a person in a costume was a better mascot form than live animals."

And this from Wisconsin

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2021/4/17/22389132/why-your-mascot-sucks-brigham-young-university-cougars-cosmo

"In 1923 the cougar was named BYU’s mascot when Eugene L. Roberts, a coach and faculty member, made the suggestion. He recommended the cougar because it was native to the state of Utah and it exemplified the traits that he hoped the school’s athletes would have.

A few of the traits Roberts was considering were strength, quickness and most important, beauty...? Not exactly one of the more important traits I can think of when it comes to student athletes."

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 01:37AM

Football aside, they are a formidable animal. I have only run into one in the wild and I will never forget it. Granted, I was a kid and very small for my age but I think I would have felt the same if I was a large adult! I didn't see it till we were a few feet apart and I just kept walking, no other choice. The feet were HUGE and it had a distinctive smell. I think it knew I was no menace and it let me go on past. Hell, I would not have even made a decent snack :)

Date: August 31, 2021 02:00AM

Oh hell! Now I am going to have nightmares again! I was in first grade so just about that age but the size of a four year old. I was always the smallest or next to it, in class. I am so sorry for this little boy. Even after his physical wounds have healed I am sure the trauma of an attack like that will be with him the rest of his life :(. I didn't realize they were in that part of CA. The one I saw was in Bountiful UT.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 11:18AM

Mueller Park Area? Moss Hill? near Ward Canyon? I never saw one in the Bountiful Foothills, but have seen them up close in Logan Canyon and Tucson area. I hear mountain lion sightings are now fairly common in Bountiful, since all development in other areas has driven them into the fringes of the foothills.

Date: August 31, 2021 12:23PM

This was a long long long time ago, 1960s. I am mega old :P I went to Meadowbrook, it is still there! I know we lived next to the Mann farm because Mr. Mann would let me pay him a nickel and I could bring my salt shaker and eat all the tomatoes I could pick. To this day they are still my favorite food and I am free feeding on some cherries right now lol. I walked straight up the street to the big grocery store and turned right. That grocery store was one of the ones that told my mother I tried to buy coke. To the left the area was open and dipped down below the road. It was there the cougar and I met. I looked at a map and I don't have a clue. It is very different now. Then it was farms and fields.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 04:41PM

>
> I am mega old
>
> . . .
>
> It is very different now.
>

Where did the time go?

Date: August 31, 2021 09:19PM

Hell if I know EOD!

Date: September 01, 2021 02:08AM

You may be old but I think I was about in 6th grade when Meadowbrook opened. I seem to remember playing Bronco league baseball there a long time ago. IRRC you probably were close to what is now Viewmont High School. Used to be lots of farm fields the Calls, the Wickers, the Mann's. Was probably unusual to see a Mountain Lion that far away from the hills. Nothing looks the same when I go home for a visit.

Date: September 01, 2021 06:18AM

Wow, you are even older than I am :P Do you remember the dairy store? I walked past that, it was on the right on my way to school. They were very nice and gave out free hot chocolate when we were coming home in the winter. We also went out to their dairy for fieldtrips. My grandmother knew "the old man". I used to walk all over those fields and patches of trees. I thought school was dumb and I cut a LOT. I would get in trouble but would turn right around and do it again. K-2 I only had maybe 60% attendance. Then in third I had a great teacher that let me read what I wanted so I went most of the time. I was a really horrible child :)

Date: September 02, 2021 11:37AM

Yes, I'm pretty sure I know the store and the dairy associated with it. My grandfather owned a business that all the local farmers used. Occasionally I would spend quite a bit of time there if one of my parents was helping out if someone was sick. Most of the regulars would stop by the front office to get a soda and BS with my Uncle so I knew lots of the folks involved with dairies and produce farms. I always laugh when thinking about these guys, if you worked for them in the summer they would work you death in the hot sun and want to pay you with vegetables.

Date: September 01, 2021 02:21AM

Awesome response.

Thought it was odd to see a combination Brigham Young and a sports team called Cougars.

There is this movie, Space Balls, from the 1980s.

Mel Brooks shouting Merchandising Merchandising Merchandising!

It came up in my mind seeing the name BYU Cougars.

Date: September 01, 2021 06:05AM

We love that movie at my house. A phrase from it we use often is "We have gone to plaid".

Date: September 02, 2021 03:53AM

I remember the Loch Lomond and fresh air on a can.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 10:34AM

Are you also upset about the car of the same name ?

Date: September 02, 2021 10:45AM

That car was underpowered. But looked neat. American cars are great but they are unfairly priced here in Europe because of import taxes. The new Mustang Mach E looks great.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 04:12PM

Um, back in the day you could pick and choose engine options depending on how much you wanted to pay. I guarantee you a '69 Cougar with a 428 Cobra Jet was not underpowered. The 289 2V, yes.

Posted by: Wardell ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 07:13PM

Could be worse.

Like Williston College in North Dakota - the Tetons.

Most don't know what the word actually means.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 07:34PM

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/teton

1.the westernmost branch of the Dakota Indians.
2.a member of any of the tribes belonging to this branch, as the Brulé, Hunkpapa, Miniconjou, and Oglala.
3.a dialect of the Dakota language.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Teton

1a : a western division of the Dakota peoples — see brulé , miniconjou , oglala , sihasapa , two kettle
b : a member of such division
2 : a dialect of Dakota

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.