Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 10:41AM

"JESUS SAVES" says a new gigantic sign with five foot letters hanging off a freeway overpass on my way to work the last couple of days getting the word out very efficiently to thousands of SoCAl'ers on their way to work . If I was younger I might hang over the rail and add "COUPONS" at the bottom.

My other thought was, 'Prove it!' You all been saying this for two thousand years, so, put up or shut up. Then I thought if Jesus is relying on this for his big comeback he needs a new agent. At least he should try to get the same one as Tom Hanks. Everybody loves him.

Lots of old vans and old cars in our neighborhood have it on the back of their vehicles too. Don't see it on the BMW's or Bentleys though. Or Mormon's vehicles because they aren't really into warning anyone as they would like to be the only ones saved. Like Joseph and Brigham, they would just like you to be saved just enough to qualify as their servants.

Then I see a van marked that doesn't recommend being saved by Jesus but is advertising "Elder Rodriquez Dog Grooming." Never heard of Elder as a first name. Tried to find a web sight to see if this was an RM or maybe an apostle wannabe. No luck.

"Sign, signs everywhere a signs. Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind . . . "

Signs of selfish ignorance with anti-vaxxer protests everywhere. No sign of hope in these united states though. I did see a sign though this morning. A young guy complaining about how he couldn't get by on his wages while receiving a big delivery from Starbucks via courier.

Me? I made my own coffee this morning. Sometimes you just gotta save yourself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 12:17PM

It's my understanding that Jesus' savings account is at the Zions Bank branch in Provo Utah.

Date: October 13, 2021 12:19PM

HAHAHAHA HA AND HA!!! Bless you Shinehah. You made my day.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 01:10PM

What sort of show would be good? Fire from the sky... volcano, or an asteroid? personally I think it's OK right now just so long as we keep having our four seasons every year, on cycle.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 01:11PM

Many people do not thave anything to hold on to in life.
They need something to validate their life so they grab on to the Jesus legend and hold on for dear life.
I personally believe that there is "life out there"!
Many disagree with me and that is OK so long as we allow each other the right to believe

Date: October 13, 2021 01:20PM

I'm fine with the believing. I believe that German Chocolate Cake Saves as well. Has translated me to heaven many times. It's the "needing to be saved or you are going to hell!" aspect of religion that is at least enough of a joke not to be truly offensive.

Dunking is for donuts. And sprinkles for cupcakes.

I was amused. Believe whatever you want. Enjoy! I even respect the ones who are truly sincere if any are. Keep the funny banners coming.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 06:03PM

I too "want to believe". But first show me signs of intelligent life here.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 02:30PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Elder Rodriquez Dog Grooming."
>
> Never heard of Elder as a first
> name. Tried to find a website to
> see if this was an RM or maybe
> an apostle wannabe. No luck...
>

We tracted out a young man in Cuautla, Morelos who'd been born into the church and been given the first name Elder. He knew his parents had been mormons for a while, but that was all he knew. He didn't know what "Elder" meant to members of the church. To him, it was just an unusual first name.

Imagine giving a non-English speaker the first name "Boob" and using "Boobie" as a nickname . . .

Boobala! https://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Nickname-Endearment-Boobala-T-Shirt/dp/B07RDGZNY5

Imma get this and ask D&D to autograph it!

Date: October 13, 2021 03:47PM

And you went straight from Elder to that? hahaha. Love the graphic tees. Too good.

And . . . your amusing story makes me wonder if maybe "Elder" immigrated to SoCal and the one with the Dog Grooming service is Elder JR, or even, the great grandson, Elder the III. And this Elder is in great demand from Mormon dog owners while having no idea why.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 07:06PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 03:25PM

Wait. You have Bentleys and Jesus Saves vans in the same neighborhood? I didn’t think Huntington Beach had a redneck section. ;)

Date: October 13, 2021 03:42PM

The Landlords drive through every now and then . . .

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 04:18PM

"'JESUS SAVES' says a new gigantic sign with five foot letters"

Did the Dodgers/Angels sign a new relief pitcher from Mexico or the Dominican Republic?

Date: October 13, 2021 05:05PM

Hahah Oh my gosh. I'll have to check! Haven't been following the games that closely.

Had some good laughs today from this.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 06:52PM

one my daughter brought from Alaska about Talkeetna. That is the town where they planes take the hikers up to Denali and drop them off. Something about a quaint little town. And the bumper sticker disappeared. It was on my back window. I'm fairly certain who took it off--my "ex."

My daughter's car is plastered with Alaska stickers and ski stickers on the window. She had a CTR one. Her dad drives her car a lot when she is working in Alaska and the CTR sticker disappeared when he was driving it. Now she asks me to keep track of what he is up to with her car when she is in Alaska.

I don't like bumper stickers stuck to metal. If I'm going to have one, it has to come off cleanly.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 07:02PM

If I offer to not break your windows if you pay me "protection" fees, you'd call me an extortionist.

But Jesus offers to not send you to eternal damnation if you pay him adoration, and people call him a god. Jesus is running a protection racket.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 07:10AM

Or the church is. It sure would be a shame if you got burned up at the Second Coming, like God popping ants with a magnifying glass. Just pay us 10% of your income and that won't happen.

Yes, Mormons actually believe that. Imagine how blinkered you have to be to believe Mormon doctrine.

Date: October 15, 2021 10:36AM

The correct term I believe is Afterlife Insurance.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 02:40AM

I never heard that term, but I've often seen it described as "fire insurance," with reference to the purported fires of hell.

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 07:24AM

I received a text saying "Be Prepared to Meet Jesus Outside."

Did Uber Eats just threaten me?

Date: October 15, 2021 10:38AM

You'll know its the real Jesus when the text finishes with "Don't forget your purse."

Date: October 15, 2021 11:46AM

Jesus and Satan were having an on-going argument about who was better on the computer. They had been going at it for days, and frankly God was tired of hearing all the bickering. Finally fed up, God said,
— THAT'S IT! I have had enough. I am going to set up a test that will run for two hours, and from those results, I will judge who does the better job.

So Satan and Jesus sat down at the keyboards and typed away.
They moused.
They faxed.
They e-mailed.
They e-mailed with attachments.
They downloaded.
They did spreadsheets.
They wrote reports.
They created labels and cards.
They created charts and graphs.
They did some genealogy reports.
They did every job known to man.
Jesus worked with heavenly efficiency and Satan was faster than hell.
Then, ten minutes before their time was up, lightning suddenly flashed across the sky, thunder rolled, rain poured, and, of course, the power went off.
Satan stared at his blank screen and screamed every curse word known in the underworld. Jesus just sighed.
Finally the electricity came back on, and each of them restarted their computers. Satan started searching frantically, screaming:
— It's gone! It's all GONE! I lost everything when the power wentout!
Meanwhile, Jesus quietly started printing out all of his files from the past two hours of work.
Satan observed this and became irate.
— Wait! — he screamed. — That's not fair! He cheated! How come he has all his work and I don't have any?
God just shrugged and said:
— Jesus saves.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:59AM

I've seen the first name "Elder" in some Central American immigrants at least twice now. I've wondered if they got it from the Mormon missionaries.

Date: October 15, 2021 12:13PM

Interesting that there is more. Saw the name tags and thought," Oh that's a cool first name." How were they to know? haha.

And if the father names his son after him he'd be Elder Jr. Would be funny if it really caught on.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 08:04AM

If we’re here by intelligent design, there’s gotta be more intelligent design out there than us. No?

Date: October 16, 2021 10:37AM

Gotta be. And hopefully a much higher grade of intelligent design than the big Guy used on us having learned from his mistakes.

And that idea makes me much less afraid of being abducted by aliens. After Earth how bad could it be?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 02:51AM

. . . and a much more intelligent designer.

Kathleen's on a roll today/tonight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.