Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 10:08PM

Just asking.

DW is decorating a table for the ward Christmas dinner, and the centerpiece will be one of our Advent wreathes. We think that probably few will understand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 10:13PM

Is this about the advent of Christianity?

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 10:47PM

Candles lit maybe later, more like a strap of varying height but very very nice.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 11:04PM

Advent is celebrated by most Christian churches and is the preparation period or season leading up to the birth of Christ on Christmas day.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 11:46PM

ya ~

ziller bought the fam a $$$ 8' douglas fir on the evening of sunday 28 november ~

brb ~

testicles am sore ~

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 12:00AM

I was in Costco this evening and saw advent calendars for dogs.

Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 12:35AM

That's hilarious!!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 02:52AM

I saw one of those but some of it was stuff I would not give my dogs. Too bad. I would buy two for sure.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 03:05AM

Only when I'm feeling Adventurous.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 04:54AM

O'l uncle Joe wasn't really into lighting candles for cold long nights. He'd blow out the illumination and get busy banging some fourteen year old fanny.

Or better yet maybe, light one candle on a separate day till you reach all of Brother Young ripe wifey numbers.

Better put the fire-dept on speed dial.

Date: December 04, 2021 12:07PM

Then, I guess the answer is no.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 12:40PM

BUT my daughter bought me a really nice FARM advent calendar this year that has doors that open like the one on Christmas Vacation. I hated farming, but now I've become obsessed with farms. I guess remembering my childhood.

And she made me another advent calendar years ago with pictures of her twin brother and her on Christmas day for each 24 days. One of my favorite things anyone has ever given me.

I don't even want to put up my tree this year. I did put up the outside lights. I want a smaller tree, but I'm babysitting my boyfriend's dog with my dogs. His dog is a German Shepherd and my little Aveo won't fit the 3 of them to run to Brigham City to pick up one of my trees that I left at my parents' house, so I guess the big tree goes up again. I can't leave his dog here as he might get out (son is here) and he can jump my 6 foot fence. If I lost my boyfriend's dog, OH MY! More for the dog. I hate seeing lost dogs on fb or anywhere.

I don't want snow, but it sure doesn't feel like December here in little Hyrum, Utah.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 02:21AM

I have to guess the animals behind the doors each day. I haven't been keeping track, but I think I'm getting better year by year. :)

Tyson

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 06:34PM

Mormons don't celebrate either of the penitential seasons, Advent and Lent. They go straight to the payoff without bothering with any of that "remembering your sins" and "making amends" and "self reflection" nonsense.

What was that old Nibley essay? "Work We Must, But the Lunch Is Free"? Turns out they would rather just have the lunch.

Date: December 06, 2021 12:27AM

I beg to differ. My former bishop when I lived in Germany is from Holland. Today he posted a picture of his Advent wreath.

We still celebrate Advent because it ties us to old friends, European places, a better form of Mormonism, and the fact that my kids will not allow us to not do it. Advent is what kicks off Christmas, no Thanksgiving, for God's sake.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 11:52PM

When I was a missionary a married couple who had no children invited us to dinner a couple of times on advent Sundays. They lit the candle after dinner and we sat around talking about our mutual interests, our girlfriends back home, what we were planning on doing in the future, but nothing about the Church much, watching the candles burn with hellatious storms blowing outside. This made a warm impression on me; my wife and I keep an advent wreath and always try to spend a little bit of time relaxing watching a candle burn. We've done it since we were first married a long time ago.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 12:03AM

Years before the dubious and temporary conversion to Mormonism
we celebrated Advent. One year in particular I watched my mother
create an Advent wreath. I always liked opening the doors of a
perpetual Advent calendar.

BcE

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 10:27AM

My wife did...but she was Catholic

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.