Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4321 ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 08:27PM

Growing up I was under the impression that as the first wife I would have some sort of say in any additional wives. Does anyone know of any doctrinal basis for this, even if it’s not scripture and something like a conference talk? Or is this just some random thing some women tell each other in hopes they will feel better about polygamy? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 08:32PM

D&C 132 itself says the first wife’s approval is necessary. It also warns Emma she will be damned if she does not approve.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 29, 2021 01:09PM

If you read William Clayton's diary entry on the issue you will discover the truth behind Joe the Lech's giving himself authority to screw any woman he wanted
Hyrum said to him "Why don't you WRITE a revelation giving you this authority?
Not Let's pray about it but write one out and all the suckers will acceptit!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2021 01:11PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: December 30, 2021 07:16PM

Yes, I'm aware of that history.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 08:35PM

It's a requirement in D&C 132. I don't care to look up the verse. But as you can imagine, our favorite randy man Joe Smith paid no attention to this and did as he pleased. I doubt many of the old polygamists cared about getting permission.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 08:56PM

>Growing up I was under the impression that as the first wife I would have some sort of say in any additional wives.

Yes and no - mostly no.

D&C 132:61

"And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood- if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, AND THE FIRST GIVE HER CONSENT, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then he is justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else."
[Emphasis added]

D&C 132:64,65

"64. And again, verily, verily, I say unto you, if any man have a wife, who holds the keys of this power, and he teaches unto her the law of my priesthood, as pertaining to these things, then shall she believe and administer unto him, or she shall be destroyed, sayeth the Lord your God; for I will destroy her; for I will magnify my name upon all those who receive and abide in my law.

65.Therefore, it shall be lawful in me, if she receive not this law, for him to receive all things whatsoever I, the Lord his God,will give unto him, because she did not believe and administer unto him according to my word; and she then becomes the transgressor; and she is exempt from the law of Sarah, who administered unto Abraham according to the law when I commanded Abraham to take Hagar to wife."

In other words, you are supposedly required to consent, but if you don't then you are the sinner, God will destroy you, and your husband gets all of the wives he wants anyway.

Very convenient revelation for old Joe.

P.S. Joe loved run-on sentences.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 10:28PM

Anon4321 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Growing up I was under the impression that as the first wife I would have some sort of say in any additional wives.>

Like, IF & WHOM he brings home, and who shares [What Responsibilities?] - or doesn't - what it should look - and feel - like and all that?

Joseph Smith made up "doctrine", 'scripture', and also the rules of mormons, that OTHERS, Not He, would have to follow. His first wife, Emma Hale, wasn't even the first he steeled himself too. Would it be worse if she weren't consulted and she were to find out later? He didn't consult ANY of the women he fooled around with. They were ALL fooled. How in Mormonism could things change?

Do you really think that he would go to wife thirty nine, and ask her, then ask #38, and, of course wife number thirty seven, and so on and so forth, ALL THE WAY back to his original/ first wife, or "WIFE"? And EACH Subsequent wife would get a say so? So he can marry another woman, even number fourty?

If a man was to leave a woman - to seek another woman - he doesn't have a short enough leash and should be forced to work from home.

> Does anyone know any doctrinal basis for this, even if not scripture, something like a conference talk? >

"Dr. Urinal" P. Smith is here to see you, lady. He's a preacher too. Oh he's married alright, day and night...

>is this some [not "random"] thing some women tell each other in hopes they will feel better about polygamy?>

Feel Better? About secret combination marriages? About maybe they'll get lucky and like each other?

Women didn't start the rumor or chatter boxes but it is we/ they must consider, and discuss, the "what ifs", and hopefully individual's free agent see can be considered in the likelihood of love, marriage, and sharing the secret commandments of fornication and adultery, sharing spouses, or swingin', that Mormonism doesn't teach too well and isn't honest about. We'll, it's not honest about anything...

Some say 'you can do whatever you want on earth-
But it stays here on earth, from death to REbirth'

I'm some

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 10:31PM

I've heard that in some polygamous groups the, or "a" wife, will scout out and approach prospective wives. I don't know if this is done much, or by whom, or if it's based on (un)holy writ or doctrine. Some help here?

So the first (or maybe other?) wife (wives) play Ghislaine Maxwell. Speaking of whom, I don't think Maxwell killed herself.

Date: December 26, 2021 10:41PM

So was the man, and woman, at my school who whipped and punished us.

About Wife Hunting:
Wife today has internet (to search).
Never has to leave the house.
Enough money? Legions searching.
Poor? Must search day+night, on foot!

Man's job. She might help, but...

Okay, your comparison- She's dead too? Already?
I had the news off 4 a few days and missed that?

Date: December 27, 2021 12:35AM

~ufotofu~ Wrote:
>
> Okay, your comparison- She's dead too? Already?
> I had the news off 4 a few days and missed that?

No, she's still alive, for now. It's a joke.

Edited to circumvent autocensor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2021 12:40AM by caffiend.

Date: December 29, 2021 12:59PM

Date: December 29, 2021 01:03PM

caffiend Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------
> No, she's still alive, for now. It's a joke.
>

Date: December 29, 2021 01:05PM

Just "checking"... (Thanks for cashing it)

It's almost like, they are punishing themselves, AFTER they punished so many young children. Punishment awaits in hell too, I imagine, but it's doubtful it'll ever be enough.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 27, 2021 01:16AM

Why oh why did Emma ever put up with this?

Date: December 27, 2021 01:23AM

Better to reign in hell. . .

Date: December 29, 2021 01:11PM

Totally!

She was probably most certainly afraid, conned, bullied and browbeat so badly that she felt it was easier going with the flow; going along to get along; staying with him for protection/ survival/ for fear of going against his wishes (COMMANDS).

She KNEW he had written the book...
She just thought she might be in it-

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: December 27, 2021 03:48AM

Didn't anybody see "Big Love"? The first wife ran the "wives" meeting every week.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 02:52AM

I have seen the Book of MORmON church. It is utter bull $hit.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 27, 2021 12:15PM

as crafty as ChurchCo is at revising & explaining their sayings, I'm minorly surprised they haven't found a way to disown the D&C verses cited above; 'Speaking as a man', anyone?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 27, 2021 04:19PM

Well, the show Sister Wives is a good example of how it works in reality. They wanted to show how well it worked for them so people would be more accepting. As it is now all falling apart it highlights all the reasons it just doesn't work. Now "the husband" is whining about how it isn't working for him but he still has four wives and a pack of kids. TS buddy. Only one marriage is functional and he is sniffing around for new young women.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2021 04:20PM by Susan I/S.

Date: December 27, 2021 05:58PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
> Well, the show Sister Wives is a good example of
> how it works in reality. They wanted to show how
> well it worked for them so people would be more
> accepting.

So it was propaganda?

> As it is now all falling apart it
> highlights all the reasons it just doesn't work.
> Now "the husband" is whining about how it isn't
> working for him but he still has four wives and a
> pack of kids. TS buddy. Only one marriage is
> functional and he is sniffing around for new young
> women.

I never followed it. Did the arrangement collapse after the series aired? If so, you're giving us the "rest of the story." Has anybody covered this in the MSM?

I'd be interested in a concise exposition or podcast. Paging Paul Harvey!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 07:40PM

I have been watching sister wives for several years now. Kody Brown has 4 wives he divorced his first wives Mari so he could legally marry his 4th wife Robin and adopt Robin's 3 children from previous marriage. One of Kody's wife's Christine has left him. It seams that Kody is spending most of his time with only one of his four wives.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 29, 2021 04:26PM

"Now "the husband" is whining about how it isn't working for him but he still has four wives and a pack of kids. TS buddy."

Could Brigham Young have faked his own death?

Date: December 28, 2021 12:21AM

...to be had for entry into the CK? Do more wives improve one's chances for exaltation, or advance the polygamous patriarch faster or higher in the CK?

(asking for a Fiend)

Date: December 28, 2021 02:09AM

The 19th century rule was that a man needed a minimum of three to make it into the CK.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 02:28AM

Whoa . . .

I qualified in 1984…

Date: December 28, 2021 11:44AM

Any advantage to more wives?
Can you recall how you know this?
Thanks--I'm very intrigued by pre-BY Mormonism.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 04:03PM

It's documented in the Journal of Discourses and it's quoted at the beginning of my novel. The prophet in my book tells this to his followers and shames women who aren't compliant enough to suit their husbands.

Date: December 30, 2021 09:24PM

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 02:56AM

that is NOT the real point. the real point is that a person needs to realize that any MORmON "heaven" is a place to best be avoided ......just like the MORmON church and its MORmON members... IF a person can not do that then they are a real MORmON who is like to get what they deserve.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 12:10PM

The first wife would also very likely be the only legally recognized wife. This would give her a certain extra status.

On the other hand, the first wife wouldn't necessarily be the favorite wife, so there's that.

Date: December 28, 2021 12:10PM

a few years ago some GA wanna-be said in a 'talk' (Mormon for sermon) that

'there is no such thing as sex drive'....

Whoa there! Obviously he hadn't met Horny Joe or Bringthemtome...

Date: December 28, 2021 04:04PM

Date: December 28, 2021 04:21PM

But as you know, some models are too old for turbos.

Date: December 28, 2021 06:11PM

How sad. A Studebaker with overdrive and yet no one to take the wheel. . .

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 12:48PM

I heard a rumor that polygamy is alive and well (behind closed doors of course) in little ol' Raymond, Wendy's home town. And when asked, a Raymond resident looked shocked and maybe offended and said "NO"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2021 12:49PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: December 28, 2021 04:11PM

If there ever was a church town, it has to be Raymond! Although the founder, Jesse Knight, never practiced polygamy, he apparently had nothing against the practice.

Date: December 28, 2021 06:18PM

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: December 29, 2021 03:52PM

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Years ago when the Raymond Playhouse, er, I mean Penthouse Society would put on their 'productions', there were always sordid activities going on behind the scenes, and I know of at least ONE pregnancy. LOL! They these assholes go to church all high and mighty and act like they're gods. And what the hell's a Northern Dancer?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 12:52PM

It isn't a matter of if they want it.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 06:48PM

Section 132 of the D&C like everyone has said before. However, when you read 132, the whole damn ins and outs of it turns the church on it's head. Old Joe never followed a damn word of his own BS and it's very damning to the church to say the least.

I would put section 132 right next to the facsimiles in the P of GP as the smoking gun confession to the LDS church fraud.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 06:58PM

Quit being critical.
"The CHURCH" believes and follows D&C 132 to the letter just like they do D&C 89 - the Word of Wisdom. Anyone up for a steak dinner now that it is winter?

Date: December 28, 2021 07:22PM

As a side note, Utah doesn't allow 'Domestic Partners' as many other states do;

I wonder if there's a bit of a backstory on this???

Date: December 28, 2021 08:42PM

As far as the backstory, why not just accept that mormons didn't want to allow people to 'couple' outside of 'recognized bounds of matrimony'.

But as with many mormonite attempts to regulate life on earth, they've gotten pushback. And it was based on Utah's refusal to recognize same-kind-of-sex marriage.

So while the legislature won't address the issue, the courts have. You just have to follow their bouncing ball:

https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/marriage/commonlaw/

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 28, 2021 08:47PM

7 states plus DC allow domestic partnerships. 5 allow civil unions. 5 states that did allow civil unions converted them all to civil marriages when same-sex marriage was legalized nationally.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/civil-unions-and-domestic-partnership-statutes.aspx

response to GNPE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2021 08:52PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: December 28, 2021 09:02PM

Response to EOD

I was not aware you could have a judge declare an informal common law relationship in Utah to be a marriage. As the linked document points out, unless you have a particular reason for backdating the time of marriage, it is simpler, faster and cheaper to simply apply for a license and get married.

I can think of a number of reasons why a couple might want to establish that they have been effectively married since xxxx year and have a judge declare them to be legally married since that year - immigration, or child adoption for example, or amended tax returns.

So, I learned something new today.

Date: December 30, 2021 09:44PM

Just give a shout when you’re going to be in town.

Oh, and ‘56 Buick two tone. It was a tank.

Date: December 28, 2021 09:53PM

Don't let him drive, BOJ. He's the guy going 45 in the fast lane.

Date: December 28, 2021 11:03PM

I believe it was this one. He traded in the Studebaker and a pair of damaged skis for it.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/download/file.php?id=29397&t=1

Date: December 28, 2021 11:46PM

Date: December 28, 2021 09:24PM

I'm waiting for a couple who became Domestic Partners in one state to move to Utah & claim whatever status as a lawful couple might be available;

The 'full faith & credit' provision of the U.S. Constitution should cover this, especially if a judge approved the DP...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 29, 2021 04:35AM

As a female member, you are given all freedom to obey.

Date: December 30, 2021 11:18PM

Exactly!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 12:24PM

Warren Jeff's also had a favorite wife. Why have so many wives when they have a favorite wife anyway?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024949/Warren-Jeffs-secret-trips-favourite-wife-Naomie-Jessop-riding-Harley.html

Posted by: jazbo ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 12:46PM

Who told Emma she would die if she did not comply? Who died several months later, and who went on to live a long life? Hmmmm....

Date: December 30, 2021 02:26PM

From the comments section: "Now he's going to be some guy's favourite wife. Karma's awesome."

My thoughts: He's so ugly, how did he get this charismatic power over so many? I suppose his father did a superb job setting up the mind control mechanisms.

Second thoughts: He's so ugly. The identified "wife" is so pretty. So very weird.

Edit: That bike, the helmets, and the leathers look very pricey. He definitely enjoyed his mammon (money). My speculation is that he cynically understood that what he religiously espoused was a fraud, something to be exploited and enjoyed. Now apply that to the Holy Fifteen...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 02:30PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 10:18PM

Date: December 30, 2021 11:17PM

Turn the tables.

Would a woman HAVE TO ask her <"first"> husband before she brought another man home, to also marry? And what if he said no?

I don't know-

Date: December 30, 2021 11:25PM

Anon4321 Wrote:
> Growing up I was under the impression that as the ["first"] wife I would have some sort of say in ANY "additional" wives.

... any doctrin/ scripture/ conference talk?

> Or just something (there is no such thing as random) [you might say ODD] some women tell each other in hopes they will feel better about polygamy? >

To feel better about themselves?

Or about 'Morbidism'?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.