Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronta ( )
Date: January 17, 2022 05:51PM

I tell them i am not mormon they say yes you are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 17, 2022 05:56PM

You have to laugh. My mother said I will be in the Celestial Kingdom with her because I was BIC and sealed to her. I have no choice in the matter, apparently. That's how it works in fairy tales.

Now they are just going to watch and wait for the day you realize your testimony was there all along and you just needed the right experience to unearth it. Sometimes they will say something to trick you into remembering "who you really are."

This is why evolution left us able to roll our eyes.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 17, 2022 06:55PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is why evolution left us able to roll our
> eyes.

That's why? I thought it was to accommodate my occasional bouts of demonic possession.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 17, 2022 06:52PM

If my family did that, I'd tell them a lot of things about the religion that they didn't want to hear. I'm sorry that you have to deal with that.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 17, 2022 08:06PM

You could have fun with this. "So mom, are you going to stick with dad or join up with Joseph Smith's harem?"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 02:26AM

Give them a copy of the letter you got from the church saying that you are no longer a member.

If you haven’t resigned, then while in your eyes you are no longer a Mormon, in the eyes of the law, you still are.

I left the USA for three extended periods in my life. In none of those cases did I stop being a US citizen. It is possible to renounce your citizenship, but it takes considerably more than just walking away. It is also surprisingly expensive, FWIW.

It does not take much to resign your church membership, but it does take more than just walking away. If you are still a member, you can show up and start attending again, no problem. Once you’ve resigned, you can’t do that anymore. You’d have to convince them to rebaptize you, before you could reenter into full fellowship.

So technically, maybe you are still LDS. Have you resigned?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2022 02:28AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 02:50PM

I had my membership records removed from the LDS church in 2014, I now consider myself a non believing Mormon. I have Mormon heritage way back on both sides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2022 02:52PM by scotchipman.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 03:03PM

I was a Mormon in name only.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 03:05PM

For me it is a game
Have fun with them and never let them see past the surface.
Tell them what they want to hear and they will pretty much leave you alone.
If you quit participating It becomes a problem for them with their record keeping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2022 11:58AM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 04:08PM

My mom said that to me. I reminded her that her parents were converted in England and Sweden and they left their churches. So, I asked her if that means her dad was still a Swedish Lutheran after leaving THAT church. She was flustered. It's fine for the Mormons to take people from other churches and claim them forever but not other churches?

Also their own Article of Faith implies that people are able to decide for themselves.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 04:36PM

Funny how the 11th Article of Faith applies to everyone except Mormons.

It's also funny how they have a cow whenever someone leaves Mormonism, especially if they leave to join another church, but they are pleased as punch when a convert leaves the church of their family to join the Mormons.

Empathy is not their strong suit.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 08:35PM

Insist back at them! But pick something interesting to insist!

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 09:49PM

High hopes. You are always one of the family.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 11:37PM

If someone insists that I'm still a Mormon and that I have no choice in the matter, I like to remind them that forcing someone was Lucifer's plan. That flusters them too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.