Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 04:19AM

Her ox reading was in the 80s. I took her to the ER just after noon on Saturday and she formally tested positive for COVID. They put her on oxygen and an IV right away.

They admitted her 7 hours later and began treatment with the antiviral Remdesivir and steroid dexamethasone.

Her X-ray showed a spot with opacity in the lower left lobe of her lungs, which may indicate acute mild infection or inflammatory process.

Her bloodwork showed WB cells are low, indicating infection; also, her RB cells are low so she’s anemic.

They released her late Sunday afternoon once her oxygen stayed in the 90s whether she was in bed or walking around a bit.

So she responded well to the course of COVID treatment and they gave her Zofran for nausea. That one medication has virtually eliminated her constant nausea that’s been troubling her for the past six years. She had tried Zofran before but it gave her a bad headache so they gave her toradol (an IV form of Naproxin).

Anyway, I’m so grateful to have her home and feeling much better now. I’m thankful for a caring hospital staff and the science (No woo woo blessings) that has helped her tremendously.

We still have to follow up, of course, with the anemia diagnosis. The silver lining is that her appetite is back and she seems to have turned a corner with her long term nausea.

At the end of my mission, I got meningitis and was diagnosed and treated for three days in a clinic, followed by a week of bed rest. My mission president wrote to my parents and claimed I got better through a priesthood blessing, but it was definitely good medical care and science that pulled me through.

Cuz X
Grateful for modern medicine

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 30, 2022 04:29AM

The concerning factors were her low oxygen reading, our age (65), and a serious comorbidity for DW.

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 08:12AM

So glad she is okay, and what a wonderful thing that her chronic nausea appears to have been alleviated!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 10:07AM

I'm so glad that your wife's medical providers were able to get a quick handle on her illness.

My cat takes Zofran! (-- the generic version which is called Ondensetron.) He has pancreatitis and IBD, and although he's on several meds to address the symptoms, it was the Zofran that really got him on the road to recovery.

Best wishes to your wife for a smooth recovery.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 10:47AM

So sorry she caught that damn beast of a virus. But glad she's been cared for so well and has turned the corner!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 11:15AM

Glad to hear that she is doing better. When our grandson had COVID, he was prescribed Dexamethasone, and that helped him tremendously.
Sounds like she will recover very soon.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 11:38AM

Good News. Everyone should have a pulse oximeter at home to check on O2 levels. It is a cheap device -$35 or less you put on your finger.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 12:26PM

What city do you live in where the hospital was able to give her care that quickly?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 06:09PM

I didn't know there were monoclonal antibodies available right now. I was lucky to get some last fall. I had COVID again recently, but it wasn't very bad. The only bad thing is it took 5 days to get the test results. I mean 5 days! By then the isolation is supposed to be over. By the time I got the results, I was feeling better as I had been sick for 4 days before I got the test. The first episode was worse than this one.

It doesn't seem to matter what you do, it is difficult to avoid. My "husband" just told me one of his coworkers just tested positive. "Husband" didn't get it this second time when I did.

That is one of the things I did purchase was a pulse oximeter. It was not much on Amazon. I also got a better thermometer.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 06:38PM

Boy Cuzx! That was sure a bad news/good news post. I am glad she was treated right away and is doing well now. Make sure she continues to get a lot of rest. It takes a while to get over this thing. :)

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 31, 2022 12:50PM

her professor from USU who she is good friends with has COVID. She told her about us having monoclonal antibodies back in September ("husband" and I). She talked to her doctor and they found out that they are only using them for unvaccinated people in Utah. She isn't too sick, but she has a lot of comorbidities.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: January 31, 2022 03:05PM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> her professor from USU who she is good friends
> with has COVID. She told her about us having
> monoclonal antibodies back in September ("husband"
> and I). She talked to her doctor and they found
> out that they are only using them for unvaccinated
> people in Utah. She isn't too sick, but she has a
> lot of comorbidities.

So wait, the monoclonal antibodies that seem to work well to lessen time in hospital and severity of infection are being held for only the unvaccinated that could have taken a couple of free shots and not needed them? So the ones that got vaccinated and also have health issues are not getting the treatment? Not sure I think that is right.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 31, 2022 03:41PM

Since it's Utah, no doubt they first check with the unvaccinated patient's bishop first . . .  And he checks their tithing record.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 31, 2022 03:56PM

oh my ~

plz stay safe exmos ~

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 31, 2022 07:40PM

> Cuz X
> Grateful for modern medicine

Absolutely.

Glad to hear your wife came through it OK. Scary pulse ox.

Glad too that you survived your mission. Meningitis is nothing to fool around with either. I can't imagine the pain for parents of having their child not return from their mission.

Date: February 02, 2022 05:36PM

Today DW turned 66 years old and she’s continuing to improve. Her blood ox is normal, her appetite is back, her chronic depression seems to be lifting, and her nausea is mostly gone, with the help of her new prescription (zofran).

I can’t sing the praises enough of the Intermountain Layton Hospital. What a class act her doctors and care givers were. I’m grateful that they gave DW such fast and effective treatment.

When our oldest daughter got Covid for the second time in two years, the Portland area ER sent her home with no C19 treatment, until her condition worsened and they finally admitted her to a COVID ward, with no visitors. They almost put her on a ventilator and she truly felt like she was going to die. It was a very scary time for the family.

To date, I can only count two members of my immediate family who haven’t tested positive: me and our youngest daughter, who lives in the SLC area (crossing my fingers).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 06, 2022 06:39PM

I'm glad that your wife got such good care, and that she's continuing to improve.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 06, 2022 06:54PM

I am so glad for your wife and you, cuzx.

My best wishes are going out for her and for you.

I am also very grateful for modern medicine.

We really are living in an age of what certainly appear to be "miracles."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 06, 2022 06:59PM

What summer and Tevai said, cuzx. So glad to hear your wife has received effective treatment.

It's kind of amazing how many in your family contracted the virus. Glad you're all OK.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.