Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 13, 2022 06:22PM

Here's yet another story about crazy religious fundies trying to make everyone else dance to their tune.

The last time I checked, Mississippi was still part of the United States Of America.

Until they secede and rebel against the government -- again.

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/20068/ridgeland-mayor-demands-lgbtq-book-purge-threatens-library-funding/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/13/ill-fight-to-overturn-us-ban-on-my-queer-bible-says-jack-guinness-british-author

Ridgeland Mayor Gene McGee is withholding $110,000 of funding from the Madison County Library System allegedly on the basis of his personal religious beliefs, with library officials stating that he has demanded that the system initiate a purge of LGBTQ+ books before his office releases the money.

Tonja Johnson, executive director for the Madison County Library System, told the Mississippi Free Press in an afternoon interview that she first reached out to Mayor McGee after failing to receive the City of Ridgeland’s first quarterly payment of 2022.

Johnson said the mayor informed her that no payment was forthcoming. “He explained his opposition to what he called ‘homosexual materials’ in the library, that it went against his Christian beliefs, and that he would not release the money as the long as the materials were there,” the library director said.

The director then explained to the mayor that the library system, as a public entity, was not a religious institution. “I explained that we are a public library and we serve the entire community. I told him our collection reflects the diversity of our community,” Johnson said.

Apparently, the mayor was unmoved. “He told me that the library can serve whoever we wanted, but that he only serves the great Lord above,” she finished.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 13, 2022 06:43PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “He told me
> that the library can serve whoever we wanted, but
> that he only serves the great Lord above,” she
> finished.

Not only. He is elected to serve the residents of Ridgeland/Madison County, it would seem.

He's not living up to the duties of his office.

Some of his followers sure embarrass God, I imagine.

Date: February 14, 2022 08:08AM

I read the "Handmaid's Tale" when I was in high school, and I thought it was just dystopian fiction that couldn't ever happen.

I don't think that now.

It can happen, and it's no longer a remote possibility.

It is a frighteningly real one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 08:09AM by anybody.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 05:02PM

anybody Wrote:
> I read the "Handmaid's Tale" when I was in high
> school, and I thought it was just dystopian
> fiction that couldn't ever happen.
===============================

Naaah -- that was just an appetizer

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 09:24AM

Unbelievable. I hear a lawsuit coming on. I just read this article, and through crowed funding the library got its money.
Take THAT!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/13/ill-fight-to-overturn-us-ban-on-my-queer-bible-says-jack-guinness-british-author

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 09:31AM by lapsed2.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 01:25PM

Mississippi proves itself a s***hole state once more.

"Since the U.S. state of Mississippi commonly ranks at or near the bottom of such rankings, residents of other states also ranking near the bottom may say, 'Thank God for Mississippi,' since the presence of that state in 50th place spares them the shame of being ranked last."

"…its use, while found throughout the entire country, is especially common in Alabama …also noted in nearby Arkansas and other frequently low-ranking states such as Kentucky, West Virginia and Texas."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_God_for_Mississippi

----

But take heart, Ole Miss! There's one area where Mississippi currently ranks #1 – per capita deaths from Covid. As of this writing, MS is leading the pack, sitting ugly at 388 deaths per 100K. I remember when "avoid it like the plague" was a common phrase; the MS version seems to be "embrace it like the plague."

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 04:52PM

anybody Wrote:
> Here's yet another story about crazy religious
> fundies trying to make everyone else dance to
> their tune.
===============================

Well yah, they want YOU to believe in THEIR delusion, which is puzzling.

See - the root of any belief is fairy-tale, not reality (upon which empiricism is dependent).
This is why believers/feelers are so able to quickly ignore facts and gin-up their own 'realities' (delusions) in response to say, JFK assassination, moon landing, 9-11, shape of the earth, pandemic, lizard-people aliens, pizzagate, Italian military satellites, Jewish space lasers, etc.
So they're not at all dependent upon reality, which can be conveniently dismissed with the benefit of willful blindness.

Yet --

They dedicate max effort to forcing OTHERS to believe their delusions --
--where the more efficient approach would be to ignore completely these "non-believers" as conveniently as they ignore reality.

Theorize they need the point of friction itself to give meaning to their lives.
Perhaps without friction against an "evil other" they're not sure they exist.

Perhaps:
The point is not to convert.
The point is to fight.

Like a shark must swim to breathe

And this may be why when isolated, they inevitably turn on each other.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 05:49PM

Im having a tough time correlating the year 2022 with decisions & actions like these.

undocumented:

(Asked Ghandi) "What do you think of Western Civilization, Mr. Ghandi?"

Ghandi's response: "I think that's a wonderful idea!"

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 09:21PM

How do these people get elected?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 11:42AM

How do these people get RE elected!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 01:43PM

Social science? Pays to do what your ignorant constituents want.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 04:31PM

If they are a public library and are there to serve the entire community then they should respect the parents of the kids who don't want their offspring to view indecenct material, it should be pretty obvious that if parents want their kids to only have access to traditional material that encouraged them to be like everyone else then the library should go along with that, there should be a separate section called 'adult' for folks who are mature enough to not get triggered by nasty stuff. Kids can wait to transition or come our of the closet until they are at least in their 20s.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 04:42PM

Still in the voting-for-McGovern stage, it appears.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 06:33PM

It's never too late, LW, see the light and turn from the (Progressive) darkness. Live the RIGHTeous life, and forsake your wayward ways!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 06:38PM

It's never too late, caffiend, to realize that you have moved beyond conservatism to populist nihilism dedicated to the deracination of democracy and even capitalism.

"Don't cry for me Argentina."

--caffiend's LatinX alter ego

Date: February 15, 2022 07:20PM

Date: February 15, 2022 05:13PM

That used to be a mark of evil and regarded as "sinister" (the Latin word for "left").

So, please explain how a book can re-wire your brain and make you into something else that you currently are not.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 05:37PM

1. Libraries already have separate sections for children's books and books for older readers. When did you last go to the library, Maca?

2. Have the parents tried talking with their children and treating them like people instead?

3. When someone transitions and/or comes out is up to them, not you, guy.

4. Books are for expanding minds. "Traditional material that encourage(s) them to be like everyone else" is just propaganda. Try reading books instead of banning them!

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 05:34PM

"folks who are mature enough to not get triggered"

Do you understand that you just called the mayor "immature"? After all, he clearly got triggered.

Come to think of it, you seem to get triggered by this kind of material as well, since you called it "nasty stuff." Great self-own there!

Posted by: obsidian53 ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 09:34PM

Some of the comments I have seen about this story mention that people can use the library's standard procedures to challenge objectionable materials. Your local library may well have something similar to this form. https://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport/selectionpolicytoolkit/sampleforms.

Ask a library employee for the form, fill it out, and return it to the library so someone in the library administration can review it and respond to your concerns.

There are people in the general populace who seem to believe that certain materials do not belong in public libraries. The librarian who responded to the mayor is right - public libraries reflect the interests of the people they serve, not just select groups. Mayor is out of line. Does his job description include something about having the duty of vetting library materials? Let the trained professionals do their jobs. I wonder how often he uses the library.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.