Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: March 03, 2022 10:01AM

Back when these were published, there were many links to find them. Guess what? One has to create an account now to read them. Don't want an average Joe to come across them accidentally.

Someone had the good sense to capture them before the barn door was locked.

https://www.docdroid.net/twnZzSC/gospel-topic-essays-pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: March 03, 2022 10:09AM

It even starts off with a lie.

"In the early 1830s, when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was less
than three years old"

It did not become "that" Church until decades later. The current name is not even the one Jesus gave to Joe, per D&C. It is using the fourth name, not the two before Jesus clarified it - and later the GA's corrected Jesus on the name with the hyphen and lower case "d".

Then again, what do you expect from a bunch whose real god is revealed in the Temple - Satan?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 08:46AM

Corporations change their name all the time. To call that a “lie” is a very big stretch. BTW, the reason for the lower case “d” in Latter-day is because a splinter group registered the name with a cap D, so that was already taken.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 09:16PM

Can you give information on the name problem? Which group owns it - and maybe which other Church owns "The Church of Jesus Christ" as well - seeing as L-d$,inc is using that one these days even if they don't actually own it.

And yes, Corporations change names. This is "the One True Church" - and Jesus couldn't even give direction to get the name right - all the while micromanaging so much else through "direct revelation".

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 03, 2022 12:04PM

Many members refused to believe that they were "inspired" and dismissed them as unofficial doctrine. The fact that they were ghost written and unsigned didn't help their credibility (in TBM eyes).

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: March 05, 2022 06:56AM

But ONLY with their aspiritual superiority eyes

Date: March 06, 2022 08:42AM

YOU DON’T NEED AN LDS.ORG ACCOUNT TO READ THE ESSAYS.

I just used the links to the essays in the stickie at the top of the RFM page and they worked just fine. Not sure what links auntsukey was using,

Date: March 06, 2022 10:24AM

When I used the link on the Stickie at the top of the RFM page, it required me to "Sign In".

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 11:08AM

In the LDS.org Essays sticky? When you clicked on those links, it required you to sign in to the LDS site to view them?

Very strange. I clicked on all of them, not signed in to LDS.org and could view them all just fine.

Date: March 06, 2022 08:08PM

Nope. Every one of them asked for a "sign in".

Am I being followed?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 08:27PM

I'm noticing that more and more sites want you to sign in and even to give them permission to track your Net usage so they can send you ads etc. It's tricky, I have found, to try and opt out. That's when I don't bother reading the article, no matter how interested I am in it. I don't need more bloody ads clogging up my inbox. Please. Stop! :/

I know people gotta make dosh. But it's hard to suddenly have to submit to their ads when you're unlikely to be interested and/or just get so tired of all the selling. I swear that some I have denied send me ads anyway. I get more ads in my inbox now than actual welcome messages. Sick of it.

I have been reading a lot about DNA and genealogy lately. So next thing I know Mormon family search stuff shows up. I didn't click on their ad. I swear. But they're onto me. Somebody somewhere is watching me. It's creepy.

And no. I'm not paranoid. I guess we were spoiled for a long time, just reading stuff without everybody and their dog trying to monetize everything. Even what I read online. Hey, if I'm interested I'll buy your paper. Or book. Or whatever...

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 08:55PM

Use a junk email domain service. They list a few alternatives as well.
https://www.istarapps.com/guerrilla-mail.html

Basically, you establish a temporary email address and use it just long enough to verify your account. Now yes, if you have any problem with your account down the line, you can't really rescue it. But for these sorts of uses that's not really the point of the account either.

Date: March 07, 2022 01:28AM

Maybe your computer has a cookie that indicates that you are a member, and they require members to sign in. Which seems a bit weird, but then they could indeed track who you are and which essays you read.

That’s scary/creepy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.