Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 01:55PM

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/3/17/2086177/-The-abuses-of-evangelical-purity-culture-have-gone-under-the-radar-for-too-long?detail=emaildkre

I have read here and elsewhere that many female LDS victims of sexual assault by LDS males often feel ashamed for what happened to them. This belief has been put into them by both leaders and members of the LDS church, and it is not by accident by any means. Both Joseph Smith and his immediate successor, Brigham Young, were, in fact, sexual predators who wrote the book about how to get away with deviant behavior and blame the victims for such behaviors.

But they are not alone, and, Mormonism is not alone in its religious teachings towards women and sexuality. In fact, a good argument can be made that much of what is written about sexuality in the Bible is strictly intended to place the blame on the (mostly) female victims of sexual assault instead of on the (mostly) male perpetrators of that assault.

The article/essay at the above link doesn't go that far in its reckoning. (In Fact, the author believes that the Evangelical churches need to be reformed from whithin to which I say good luck with that.) Nevertheless, it is an excellent article/essay exposing the double standards not only inside the Evangelical movement but also within Islam as well and is very much worth the read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2022 01:56PM by blindguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 02:22PM

Elizabeth Smart spoke out against the church’s purity culture.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: March 20, 2022 06:02PM

As a side note. She and her husband have left the church.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 20, 2022 06:27PM

Really? I don't remember hearing about her leaving. It only makes sense after her experiences. I wonder if her parents bought a vowel and left too.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 20, 2022 07:43PM

I'd love to see a source on that, too, not because I doubt it but because I hope for it so fervently.

Posted by: maca ( )
Date: March 20, 2022 06:24PM

This is an interesting article, this line particularly caught my notice, "Is it any wonder that so many victims of sexual assault within the church (and outside it) don’t come forward for years, if at all?"

I see this problem at my employment, I'm not sure about sexual assault but at work we've been having training on what to do about sexual harassment. And the politically correct thing management expects us to do is to report the offensive comment. And if your a victim of a bully report the bully, but management is under no obligation to take the victim seriously, to discipline, and they refuse to disclose an action plan with the victim.

The least a victim should expect is to be able to move to another department I would think. But there's no safety for an employee.

So I don't see how anyone would dare report abuse and then there's the whole subject of retaliation which I know happens when management decides to teach someone a lesson they don't like. Being an employee in America is actually really horrible when you think about it. Especially in a right to work place that hates Unions like Utah.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 20, 2022 07:24PM

maca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> at work we've been having
> training on what to do about sexual harassment.
> And the politically correct thing management
> expects us to do is to report the offensive
> comment.

It's not 'politically correct' to report offences, especially of a sexual nature, but rather is the *right* thing to do.

Fortunately, your other comments seem to show that you understand this. But the term politically correct in your comment above suggests otherwise. Just saying.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 10:15AM

definitely sexually harassed. I've had 4 stalkers in my life time. The last one was less than 10 years ago. When I reported it to my boss, she said they'd have another talk with him. He was the custodian at the building and there were several companies inside that building. Come to find out, he was working where my son was working. He basically told me I was going to start walking with him (he saw me walking all the time). I told him no. One day, he happened to come by my "husband's" office and I was there. His workers were there, too, and they are a tough bunch of guys. Two are ex-cons. (He actually is a good guy when it comes to this as he hires people who NEED a job and can't find one.)

This guy had made a proposal to do the spraying of the parking lots in the winter. My husband took one look at my face and knew who this guy was. He didn't get the job and he never bothered me again.

Anyway, the worst thing that happened to me was what I've talked about for years. And the thing that really gets to me is that it was my job to keep my husband satisfied sexually no matter what. An impossible task. My husband has had over 1000 sexual partners and most he doesn't know the names of. Sure I'm going to be able to keep a gay man sexually happy. It is on the women to make the men satisfied. Bullshit.

I made the point recently to a friend that before birth control, so women were supposed to satisfy the men? I said the mormons found the answer--polygamy.

It is still my fault that he isn't straight and not just because I wasn't righteous enough, but because I didn't satisfy sexually.

Religion is all about sexual purity. OH UNTIL you need to "save a gay." Then all those years of saving yourself no longer have a place in the situation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.